AMD or Intel, Enlighten me!

i made myself a PC with athlon 3800+ Dual Core processor. i haven't bought it yet, but i'm sort of changing my mind and turning towards Intels Core 2 Duo. Are there any recomendations within $250 budget? And is really a smart move?

Hardcore Student said:
i made myself a PC with athlon 3800+ Dual Core processor. i haven't bought it yet, but i'm sort of changing my mind and turning towards Intels Core 2 Duo. Are there any recomendations within $250 budget? And is really a smart move?

e6300s and e6400 can both be had for under $250 and are fantastic chips. both should shit-kick an x2 3800+ at stock and most other amd chips when overclocked. if you're nervous, you needn't worry. just look on these forums to see which mobos overclock the best for what you're willing to spend.

If you're building a new computer now, C2D is the better route. This Gigabyte DS3 is a good choice for a less expensive overclocking motherboard.

At the moment I feel there is no reason to build an AMD rig if your looking for the best performance. Intel's Core 2 Duo will beat any processor AMD has at the moment. and if it doesn't beat it then when overclocked it will beat them and even beat overclocked AMD chips. I say go C2D if you are looking for best performance.

Even if Core2Duo weren't a better processor/system - and it is - AMD should be punished for screwing its users with multiple socket changes. We now have mobos with no upgradeability.

Screw AMD till they rent a clue.

At current moment, Intel is the way to go...prices are good, OCability (yes it's a word ;) ) is excellent, LGA775 will probably live till the end 04 '07 at the least (I think quad-cores run in 775 happily), and power consumption/TDP are low as well.

Of course, this post will be 100% wrong in a few months, but that's how the industry works.

I was considering an opteron rig for awhile. Decided to go C2D, and couldn't be happier. Build is in my sig.

Intel is the only way to go.

Back