AMD optimized Memory

xmalxx

n00b
Hello Forum, Hope someone can point me in the right direction for memory for the system I am going to build. I have currently bought:

3900x
Gigabyte Aorus Master x570
Corsair RM750i
Gigabyte 1660 Super GPU

I need advice on the RAM. I am looking for 64GB RAM for my system. I initially ordered the Corsair CMK32GX4M2D3200C16 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit. The reason behind the purchase was the SKU was on the Gigabyte supported memory in the manual. I ordered 4 sticks. I thought I had dome my homework but I began to read that the Ryzen is picky with RAM and some posts recommended AMD optimized RAM. SO I ordered CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35V AMD Optimized Memory (CMK32GX4M2Z3200C16). This is optimized for AMD (not sure how or why) and it is also more expensive.

I am now in the dilemma of using the CMK32GX4M2D3200C16 that is supported in the Aorus Master manual or the AMD optimized (and more expensive) CMK32GX4M2Z3200C16 part.

I game a little, I do not overclock and use the the RAM and CPU cores for VMs I need for work. I need a stable system for my 3900x. My Intel 2500K was bullet proof for the last 8 years and I need something to replace it. I would really appreciate it if someone could steer me in the right direction. Gut feeling is the the CMK32GX4M2D3200C16 is ok because it is Gigabyte approved.

TIA, xmalxx

Last edited:
I use Trident Z Neo which is reasonably priced and optimized for AMD. My config is 4x8 not sure about 4x16 but I'd say for your stated usage scenario 64GB would be overkill.

Reactions: Mega6
like this
There is nothing about either kit of memory that won't work with that processor. AMD Optimized memory is nonsense and has been for 2 years. Long story short, the 1st gen Ryzens and motherboards were picky and some types had compatibility issues at rated speeds. With a vastly improved memory controller in the 3000 series processors, and a X570 chipset board, you won't have ANY issues.

I definitely wouldn't spend more money for AMD optimized memory.

I use Trident Z Neo which is reasonably priced and optimized for AMD. My config is 4x8 not sure about 4x16 but I'd say for your stated usage scenario 64GB would be overkill.

Thanks for the input. Some of the VMs I work with is minimum 32GB RAM, so in fact 64GB is really a minimum for me otherwise I’d be off to server land for something even more beefy.

There is nothing about either kit of memory that won't work with that processor. AMD Optimized memory is nonsense and has been for 2 years. Long story short, the 1st gen Ryzens and motherboards were picky and some types had compatibility issues at rated speeds. With a vastly improved memory controller in the 3000 series processors, and a X570 chipset board, you won't have ANY issues.

I thought as much. I just can’t see a memory fab having a different production line for some modules, although they could be binned selectively. I think a problem I may run into is whether dual banked modules will work in all memory slots on the mobo. I have read that it is better to use two banks ie 2x32GB. That option is more expensive and I got a good deal on the “none Optimized” modules so I think I will just give them a go and see how I get on. Thanks for answering my questions.

The Trident Neos are cheap with the average to high latency dimms, like the c18 variety. Its when you get to the low latency dimms that cost a grip. Regardless when it comes to high latency cheap dimms, the Neos are the ones to get.

Hello Forum, Hope someone can point me in the right direction for memory for the system I am going to build. I have currently bought:

3900x
Gigabyte Aorus Master x570
Corsair RM750i
Gigabyte 1660 Super GPU

I need advice on the RAM. I am looking for 64GB RAM for my system. I initially ordered the Corsair CMK32GX4M2D3200C16 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit. The reason behind the purchase was the SKU was on the Gigabyte supported memory in the manual. I ordered 4 sticks. I thought I had dome my homework but I began to read that the Ryzen is picky with RAM and some posts recommended AMD optimized RAM. SO I ordered CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35V AMD Optimized Memory (CMK32GX4M2Z3200C16). This is optimized for AMD (not sure how or why) and it is also more expensive.

I am now in the dilemma of using the CMK32GX4M2D3200C16 that is supported in the Aorus Master manual or the AMD optimized (and more expensive) CMK32GX4M2Z3200C16 part.

I game a little, I do not overclock and use the the RAM and CPU cores for VMs I need for work. I need a stable system for my 3900x. My Intel 2500K was bullet proof for the last 8 years and I need something to replace it. I would really appreciate it if someone could steer me in the right direction. Gut feeling is the the CMK32GX4M2D3200C16 is ok because it is Gigabyte approved.

TIA, xmalxx
What are you doing with your old 2500k gear?

Just send the more expensive ones back. Like others have said, with the 3900X on a X570 board you should be fine. Although Corsair is known to use different chips on the same parts without changing p/n. So hopefully those 2x 32GB kits have the same chips.

The Trident Neos are cheap with the average to high latency dimms, like the c18 variety. Its when you get to the low latency dimms that cost a grip. Regardless when it comes to high latency cheap dimms, the Neos are the ones to get.

<shrug>...I have Ripjaws V 3600 C19...going to be the same Hynix CJR's that are in the Neos I'd imagine... Mine tighten to C16 just following the Ryzen memory calc. I think I paid $110 from them from NE for 2x16GB.

I would just make sure that 4 sticks of that is supported by your mobo. I am running 64Gb in my current rig, and I picked a 64Gb kit on the QVL, and problem free at the correct speed, zero problems.

Back