AMD Opteron 180(socket 939) RETAIL - $124.99 FS no rebates!!!

paco16

Limp Gawd
Hey all you Socket 939 fans! Just kidding, I'm not a necessarily a fan, but can't see the value in completely changing platforms when I can already play all the new games at 1900x1200 with all high settings. (yes, this includes Crysis). With an FX-55 and 2 8800gt's in SLi. However, this deal intrigued me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103582

Looks like newegg is clearing out inventory... The operton 185 has already been taken off of the site as of last week. Grab these before they disappear! I know i will!

Wow, this must be the last of the Socket 939s. I wish I waited until now to buy it rather than having bought a dual-core last summer (X2 4200+). Then again, I've been enjoying the dual-core life for the past 8-9 mos. :)

Decent. In your case, it works. But for people who aren't using CF or SLI 939 boards, it's more cost-effective to get a decent 775 mobo with a Pentium Dual-Core for about the same price as this CPU.

I wouldn't mind putting a dual-core in my backup rig. But I'll hold out for the Opt 185 fire sale. At this point, if going through the trouble, might as well put in the absolute best CPU possible for the platform.

Decent. In your case, it works. But for people who aren't using CF or SLI 939 boards, it's more cost-effective to get a decent 775 mobo with a Pentium Dual-Core for about the same price as this CPU.

Friends don't let friends buy a Pentium Dual Core. Core2Duo or bust!

don't forget these suckers should hit 2.8-3.0ghz within breaking a sweat

might have to replace the opty 165 in my backup to get some extra multiplier action.

Um, you can get an AM2 X2 @ 2.5-2.7 for $40 now and an AM2 motherboard for another $50.
Why would you buy another 939 for over $100? I love my 939 but not dropping another penny into it.

If you had a current 939 setup you would also need to upgrade RAM to go to AM2.

and a new mobo would require an OS reinstall... not to mention that i'm way to friggin lazy to gut that sucker to replace the board.

939 fan,

holla :p

Another 939/DDR1 fan here. :D

When you have four 939 rigs for the family, it's hard to justify "upgrading" to AM2/DDR2. If all mine weren't dual core already, I'd be in for one of these... great deal imho.

Tempting, I have a 939 Shuttle, but its just a media PC anyway and the 3800 X2 is fine.

And DDR2 is cheaper than dirt. Not to mention twice the frequency on the memory. Costs roughly $200 to get a board, Athlon 5000 Black edition, and 2GB of DDR2 800. For what you get out of that upgrade over 400 MHz RAM and this processor, it's well worth it.

Another 939/DDR1 fan here. :D

When you have four 939 rigs for the family, it's hard to justify "upgrading" to AM2/DDR2. If all mine weren't dual core already, I'd be in for one of these... great deal imho.
IMHO now is the time to drop any remaining DDR based boxen. As already mentioned, you can get into an AM2 mobo & proc for less than the cost of this chip. And DDR is still pulling a premium so you'd be better served to sell the DDR and buy a couple gigs of DDR2 on a sub $50 deal and come out even further ahead.

In for one.

Yup, DDR2 is cheap and so are the boards but I'm just not ready to give up my A8N32 SLI-Deluxe and 2GB Gskill HZ. One of the best overclocking combos I've owned outside of my current C2D system. This is the perfect final piece for the HTPC.

Friends don't let friends buy a Pentium Dual Core. Core2Duo or bust!

Find me another processor for $60 that will perform as well as my Dual Core at 3.0ghz. Stock, cooling, stock volts btw.

I wouldn't mind putting a dual-core in my backup rig. But I'll hold out for the Opt 185 fire sale. At this point, if going through the trouble, might as well put in the absolute best CPU possible for the platform.

If the 185 were to go on sale for ~$100, then I'd be very tempted to jump in and replace my X2 4200+.

I can't get my X2 3800 to overclock worth a crap (could only get it up to 2150 stable) so I went ahead and jumped on one of these. The price is nice considering I don't have to replace my RAM or motherboard. Extra L2 cache and higher clock are good in my book. It will also be a nice hand-me-down in a few months when I do finally get the urge to do a full upgrade.

Jumped on the open box 3600+ X2 the other day (got it for $41); it's replacing the 3000+ single core in my HTPC. :)

Well, another thing is getting a heatsink for it. Since this is an OEM.

The cheapest setup to move to AM2 instead of upgrading a 939 processor is: $123.72 before shipping. But this is also the time and process of installing windows on a new machine. I chose the cheapest parts possible, as well as only 1GB ram (2x512MB)

Newegg:

AMD X2 3800+ OEM - $40.75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103732

JetWay JM26GT3-SVP AM2 NVIDIA NF6100-405 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $40.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153073

ARCTIC COOLING ACF64LP 60mm CPU Cooler for low profile PC - Retail - $19.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186019

pqi POWER Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model MAD41GUOE-X2 - Retail - $21.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141346

don't forget these suckers should hit 2.8-3.0ghz within breaking a sweat

might have to replace the opty 165 in my backup to get some extra multiplier action.

not all opterons can do 2.8
statistics wise. about 85% cant do those speeds.

ive burned thru about 25 chips back in the DFI days, i know

for 130$
you might as well switch to the cheaper c2d and cheaper board.
without overclocking any c2d rips the amd.

i bought an opteron 185 for $235. why? OCD probably. i want to MAX OUT my socket system pretty much all the time. those of you are suggesting AM2 upgrade are being ridiculous. we're GAMERS!!!! we don't DOWNGRADE! 939->AM2=DOWNGRADE. why? let's say you had a athlon 2.2, 2.4 ghz already. going to am2 by staying cheap means 1.8 or 2ghz. on teh 939 u already have an AGP, ram, etc. on am2, u now need to replace AGP with PCIe, so u might be going from x1950pro agp->2600hd pcie to stay cheap. yeah ram is cheap ddr2 or dd1 but including the price of processor and graphics card you are looking@STEPPING BACKWARDS instead of forwards.

as for me personally, i haven't seen am2 socket maxed out yet. the quadcores are available for am2 yeah? that'd be the only upgrade path from my 939. directly right to quadcore only. i believe there are 2ghz models. i want that to be more like 2.6 or 3ghz. or the last model equivalent to opteron 185 or fx60/62 for the 939 model. by that time am3+ will have arrived and it would be time to upgrade to am2 to get MAXIMUM INSANO SPEED for that socket instead of getting stuck with a 1.8 or 2ghz am2 processor, which is stupid.

Well, another thing is getting a heatsink for it. Since this is an OEM.

The cheapest setup to move to AM2 instead of upgrading a 939 processor is: $123.72 before shipping. But this is also the time and process of installing windows on a new machine. I chose the cheapest parts possible, as well as only 1GB ram (2x512MB)

Newegg:

AMD X2 3800+ OEM - $40.75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103732

JetWay JM26GT3-SVP AM2 NVIDIA NF6100-405 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $40.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153073

ARCTIC COOLING ACF64LP 60mm CPU Cooler for low profile PC - Retail - $19.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186019

pqi POWER Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model MAD41GUOE-X2 - Retail - $21.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141346

You must've missed the Thread title, and/or never went to the link i posted. This is RETAIL not OEM... That's why it's such a great deal. Yeah, not going to switch platforms to AM2... Sorry. I was pissed with AMD for abandoning the Socket 939 users. The reason pitched by AMD to buy a new 939 board was "future dual core compatibility and support". They made a couple dual core 939 cpu's and then scrapped the whole process because it was "cheaper" to manufacture the new AM2 boards. Also, though AM2's are cheap; why go through the hassle of re-installing windows, updating drivers, migrating my old data over etc etc. The time alone spent on such a venture would make no sense especially considering the small percentage of performance boosts... Don't forget, AMD released AM2 not because it was faster or had a ton of new features. This was a direct reaction to what Intel was doing at the time and to cut manufacturing costs.
My next upgrade will be a Quad-Core x48 Intel. (I'm waiting for x48+ SLi). I will not buy another AMD board. At least not until they retake the performance crown...

Ordered yesterday @ 1pm. Just arrived at my door according to the wife. 2-3 day shipping = 1 day shipping in newegg speak. :) Let's see how this goes.

Any overclocking tips from you 939 fanboys?

I have an Asus a8n-sli deluxe, 2 gigs corsair xms pc3200 twin-x platinum, Enermax Infiniti 720w, and an ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro heatsink.

Rounding out the hardware that does not affect over clocking-
2 8800gt's in SLi, X-fi Fatal1ty Champion series, 2 Samsung Spin-point 16mb sata3gig 500gb hard drives, and a Xlico case with two 250mm turbine fans and a Silverstone 120mm fan(cooling should not be an issue).

not all opterons can do 2.8
statistics wise. about 85% cant do those speeds.

ive burned thru about 25 chips back in the DFI days, i know

for 130$
you might as well switch to the cheaper c2d and cheaper board.
without overclocking any c2d rips the amd.

i'm happy with my 165 hitting 2.8 :)
took a new powersupply to do it though as my old psu was limiting me to 2.4 stable

I bought a e2140, ip35-e, and 2gigs of memory for $160. This replaced my 170 opty 939. Bang 4 Buck is what I am a fan of. You are a damn FOOL if you buy ANY 939 proc for over 10 bucks IMHO. That goes for any AMD proc . Just doesn't make any sense.:confused:

I realize this is falling on deaf ears but....

Spending $ on AM2 or LGA 775 right now is arguably just as silly. I do not plan on moving to a new setup until Nehalem (I realize that is just as controversial). IMO, why would I want to switch to one of these setups and buy DDR2 which won't transfer to Nehalem? I might as well stick with my current DDR.

So to me... an Opty 180 is a nice little upgrade (at the 125) b/c I have a 170 that goes for about 100 bucks on ebay. Sell the 170, get a 180 for 25 dollars. Why is that so foolish? Just one guys opinion. I keep reading that I can get these super-cheap cpu/mobo/ddr2 combos for little $, but none of them offer a great leap from what I have? Any of the cpu/mobo/ram combos I look at that do offer a GREAT jump in performance come with a pretty good size price tag.

it's more cost-effective to get a decent 775 mobo with a Pentium Dual-Core for about the same price as this CPU.

Ummm, we must not shop the same market, 'cause I haven't seen ANY 775 combo's that I'd call decent for $125 shipped. BTW, don't forget 775 also needs DDR2... yet one more expense to add.

:p

yea i'm in the same boat, i've stretched my s939 setup to skip a generation (AM2/DDR2 Core2Duo)..

still haven't been any games i haven't been able to play @ 1920x1080 (accept crysis ofcourse)..

it really is too bad AMD dropped s939, its been a great setup (Probably as good as the SocketA was back then)..

I haven't checked eBay lately, but for those who have, what are Socket 939 dual-core CPUs going for on there lately?

and a new mobo would require an OS reinstall...

Utterly and completely false. I went from a 939 setup to a Core 2 Duo setup and didn't reinstall. Just a little bit of hassle to get it running again (and not much at that), and is still 100% stable after over half a year of use.

You must've missed the Thread title, and/or never went to the link i posted. This is RETAIL not OEM... That's why it's such a great deal. Yeah, not going to switch platforms to AM2... Sorry. I was pissed with AMD for abandoning the Socket 939 users. The reason pitched by AMD to buy a new 939 board was "future dual core compatibility and support". They made a couple dual core 939 cpu's and then scrapped the whole process because it was "cheaper" to manufacture the new AM2 boards. Also, though AM2's are cheap; why go through the hassle of re-installing windows, updating drivers, migrating my old data over etc etc.

I have to agree. If they hadn't done that, I'd have stuck with AMD, simply because a chip upgrade was cheaper than swapping memory at that time, but a year ago, it no longer made sense to me. DDR2 was cheaper than what I could sell my DDR for (not much cheaper, but it was cheaper). And while the AM2s were cheaper, I had no confidence that AMD wouldn't switch sockets before they had a truly competitive product out. Plus, I sold my ram for something like 40 or $50.00 more than 2GB Ballistix Tracers were selling for at that time. So I was motivated to sell and jump to DDR2/Intel.

I realize this is falling on deaf ears but....

Spending $ on AM2 or LGA 775 right now is arguably just as silly. I do not plan on moving to a new setup until Nehalem (I realize that is just as controversial). IMO, why would I want to switch to one of these setups and buy DDR2 which won't transfer to Nehalem? I might as well stick with my current DDR.

To me the reason it makes sense is because I don't believe that DDR3 prices will drop to anything near DDR2 prices for another year or 2. It's hard for me to justify paying any sort of premium for DDR3, when the performance gain is marginal. Seriously, how much DDR3 can you buy for 140 bucks? I got 8GB of DDR2 for that price.

So to me... an Opty 180 is a nice little upgrade (at the 125) b/c I have a 170 that goes for about 100 bucks on ebay. Sell the 170, get a 180 for 25 dollars. Why is that so foolish?

If I could have gotten a deal like this a year ago, I'd have jumped on it. Unfortunately, I've sold almost all of my DDR ram...otherwise, i'd make it a back up machine.

Ummm, we must not shop the same market, 'cause I haven't seen ANY 775 combo's that I'd call decent for $125 shipped. BTW, don't forget 775 also needs DDR2... yet one more expense to add.
:p

I've seen good boards for near that price. For example, you can get the Asus P5K-E for 120 from Zipzoomfly...maybe 128 shipped.
Depending on what DDR ram you currently have, you may be able to sell it for about what it'd cost to buy DDR2 (give or take).

But nothing wrong with this CPU.

Opinions aside, nice find OP.

The 1mb cache per core on the opteron, for some reason, does raise frame rates. I think it's a solid option if you already have good cas 2 DDR ram and are on a pci-e MB. From all I've seen, if you can get your opteron to 2.7, the most you are losing to any C2D in GAMES is 10%. So if the 3.4 C2D gets 200FPS, the opteron should yield 180, assuming good DDR, same video card, etc. Of course this is game dependent but overall a 10% reduction is not significant enough for some people to give up s939.

How does an AMD athlon 64 3200+ Venice compares to this CPU?
Is it like 300% faster?

How does an AMD athlon 64 3200+ Venice compares to this CPU?
Is it like 300% faster?

Now way is this dual-core 300% faster than a 3200+. I did some benchmarking between the 3200+ and X2 4200+, and while the difference was noticeable, it was "only" ~50% faster, despite the faster clock speed and extra core. Therefore, the jump from 4200+ to Opt. 180 would be less. The extra core is nice, no doubt, but it's not going to be twice as fast or faster due to overhead and such.

I can pull up those benchmarks if I can find it. I might've even posted them here on [H] last summer.

Back