Amd Nx

I think it's enabled by default... not sure though. I couldnt find anything googling.

yeah, it's enabled by default for "essential" Windows programs and services only. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875352

you'll get this message from a poorly coded program or virus:
Data Execution Prevention
A Windows security feature has detected a problem and closed this program.
Name: Application name
Publisher: Application Publisher
Data Execution Prevention helps protect against damage from viruses or other security threats. How does it work?
Advanced OK buttons

you can change the settings here:
dep.png

If mine isn't on by default why do I want it on what does it actually do?

Glow said:
If mine isn't on by default why do I want it on what does it actually do?
your's isnt on because your processor doesn't support it. :p

i'mm pretty sure intel put nx support into the nacona... not sure on the specifics though

(cf)Eclipse said:
i'mm pretty sure intel put nx support into the nacona... not sure on the specifics though

all the prescott family will get NX (or XD, execute denial as intel calls it) with the E0 setpping.

But neither the Prescott or Nocona D0's have it.

FreiDOg said:
all the prescott family will get NX (or XD, execute denial as intel calls it) with the E0 setpping.

But neither the Prescott or Nocona D0's have it.

Yep.... and that's why at this point, I would not recommend any non-Opteron CPUs for servers.

For whoever asked, the NX is supposed to be able to prevent buffer overflow type attacks.

Darth_Fluffy said:
I thought Opterons were the first to have nx? And i'm still not sure if CHs have it or not.

did you read the above posts? all the AMD64s have the NX function, and i think even the sempron will offer this function too but not sure whether all sockets type or only the 754

again, all AMD64 cpus have NX regardless the code name, but dont forget, you need to install winxp sp2 to have it working.

Back