AMD, NVIDIA Have Launched "The Least-Appealing GPU Upgrades in History"

There can be a fix to this....

RTX 2080 --- $399
RTX 2070 --- $299
RTX 2060 --- $199

LOL, NVIDIA wouldn't go that far even with aggressive pricing.

At best:

Geforce RTX 2080 Ti -- $699
Geforce RTX 2080 -- $499
Geforce RTX 2070 -- $399
Geforce RTX 2060 -- $299

I blame youtube :) . Find this one amusing:

A run down of why you should upgrade from a R9 290X all the options costs money (more then half (the original price you paid for your R9 290X) in some cases) and does not have life spawn of the original card.

I only I saw the 2060 as a $250 part. In past generations the x60 part would be on par with the previous gen x80 part with around half the cost. This generation we do not see that. It feels like NV bumped the number up a tier, while increasing the price (the 2060 slotted where the 2070 should have been sold at for example)

It is strange b/c if NV wants RTX to be adopted by a wide audience, they kind of priced it too far out of reach for a lot of people. I contend that the only marginally usable RTX card is the 2080, the lower ones struggle too much. So that leaves us with.. DLSS as the only real perk for 2070 and below, which doesn't seem to justify the $100 or so bump in price of the the 2060 (vs 1060)

Try canadian prices 2000 bucks for 2080ti. Can get 1080ti under 900 bucks used. Cheapest 2080ti about 1700 bucks used. Stick with my two 1080tis till raytracing has couple refreshes.

This article is completely spot on and this is why I'm considering a second 1080TI instead of a new card as my upgrade this year...

Whether we like it or not, WE NEED INTEL to smack the shit out of these two next year. Need something ground breaking from them. Shake up the market please Intel.

Intel won't initially compete at the high end unfortunately but in a few years it might. Intel loves high margins like nVidia so who knows if they will really be much of a value. They also stated they plan to build proprietary features like nVidia does so if anything we will probably get nVidia 2.0

Also keep in mind intel has lost its technology lead in manufacturing process with tsmc having 7 nm so I don't see them competing with nVidia for the enthusiast segment though they make inroads in the midrange which could hurt AMD and nVidia. The attach rate for dgpu isn't big enough to support 3 companies long term so someone will eventually fold.

Last edited:
Try canadian prices 2000 bucks for 2080ti. Can get 1080ti under 900 bucks used. Cheapest 2080ti about 1700 bucks used. Stick with my two 1080tis till raytracing has couple refreshes.
2080ti's can be had for a little less then that. NewEgg has models starting at $1580+tax NEW. Still too much and $600-700 more then a 2080.

Eh, the Radeon VII looks VERY compelling, I can overclock it 50Mhz and drop the power usage to around 284W(80w less than stock), seems to have a LOT of untapped potential once they fix the drivers and wattman.

Plus freesync 2

Yeah Canada has some crazy prices. I was looking for a air fryer for a guildmate. The price between amazon.com and Amazon.ca for the same fryer was $100 more in Canada.

I think the fact that I'm playing more games in 4K on my PS4 Pro than on my two gaming rigs (GTX 1070 and 1080) speaks volumes about the price-to-performance conundrum we're seeing with the latest GPU releases. Yeah, it's technically powered by a Polaris-based GPU, but that's kinda the point, aint it.

Sucks, because I would like to get a replacement for my 1080 so I can put this in a dedicated VR machine, but a 1080 Ti doesn't seem worth it for the price they are going for currently, and everything newer is way overpriced.

Sucks, because I would like to get a replacement for my 1080 so I can put this in a dedicated VR machine, but a 1080 Ti doesn't seem worth it for the price they are going for currently, and everything newer is way overpriced.
Although I would perfer an AMD card with 16GB as it will keep its value and excel in the future, I am buying explicitly for VR myself. AMD hasn't mentioned VR much, if at all in their promotion of R7 and failed to include the usb-c port that says "VR".
Now previous Vega cards have shown their worth and competitiveness at the price, they have not shown the same performance on VR. Sadly. I think it is just AMD picking their battles and VR is just too small so far.
So now I own a 2080 which I paid even more then I higher RAM specs of 1080ti last gen. It has some modern features that are sure to be a joke one gen from now, and half the RAM of a R7. But I have a warranty and the VR software is sure to support.
Some times you have to bite the bullet and lead with the mind, not the heart.

I'm totally in the same boat as you. I need a new card, had to give my old one to my son. I really want to get an HTC Vive pro. I can't find any useful info anywhere on the Radeon 7 and VR. I haven't bought an Nvidia card for years, but i kind of feel i have no choice atm.

Whether we like it or not, WE NEED INTEL to smack the shit out of these two next year. Need something ground breaking from them. Shake up the market please Intel.
"Raja Koduri's about to make you his Bitch!"

But seriously, I would be shocked if Intel came out of the gates packing the kind of heat you're talking about *next year*. Sure would be nice though.

Back