AMD & NVIDIA GPU VR Performance: Onward Mil-Sim @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD & NVIDIA GPU VR Performance: Onward Mil-Sim - Downpour Interactive is the company behind the Early Access Game, Onward. It is a self-proclaimed Mil-Sim shooter title. The big thing about this is it looks to be the first VR game that has solid support for multiplayer missions. HTC Vive currently required. What video card do we need this time around for best performance?

The Titan X pretty much delivers perfection.

For AMD, well...same story as the 7 other times. Dont use it for VR.

Finally a game that makes me want to spend money on a VR headset :)

The Titan X pretty much delivers perfection.

For AMD, well...same story as the 7 other times. Dont use it for VR.

But..but..but...marketing tells me:

RadeonLead1200-2.jpg

Reality tells me...

Winner: NVIDIA TITAN X by a landslide
titan-x-hero-100674537-orig.png

Well, at least the 480 was close this time. It's in the ballpark of the 1060. You just can't shoot the gun. Those spikes look too high for an OC to fix.

Vega has a good chance to actually provide a good experience in at least one game... whenever Vega decides to show up.

I do like that [H] throws in a 980ti.

You know - thinking back to the SteamVR test where 290x's were doing ok... I don't see how that's possible if the Fury X has a hard time.

Last edited:
I'm an alpha tester for Onward and it's really cool to see an in depth performance review of this depth! Kudos on going through it and rating your performance. Really cool to see hard numbers.

I do have to say though, I wish you'd waited a little longer! There were some bugs which were causing dropped frames when swapping and firing weapons which have now been resolved. Dante is always looking to optimise it more and more and the end goal is to have it running smoothly without any reprojection on as little as a 970. :)

Really cool to see the performance across a range of GPUs though, I currently run a 1070 at 1.5x SS and since the latest patch, I seem to be only ever dropping into reprojection when I hit one of the few bugs still present in the game. It's definitely getting smoother!

But..but..but...marketing tells me:

RadeonLead1200-2.jpg

Reality tells me...

Winner: NVIDIA TITAN X by a landslide
titan-x-hero-100674537-orig.png

Let's be honest: if you have $1200 to drop on a video card were you ever even looking at anything AMD? I thought not.

It's a shame SLI isn't working with VR (yet). But my 1070 seems to work really well with the Vive with the games I've tested on it thus far.

Heh that was made for the Nest VR game in mind IIRC. It's hard to say with peripherals if it will all work out. That looks something that might be awesome in Onward, but then all of a sudden not so much once you try to use it as your side arm or use it to throw a grenade in your dominant hand.

I THINK that we really only need a "buttstock" on dominant hand controller rather than the full rifle. The foregrip mechanics are good enough that I really don't think you need physical connection between the two, but I have not done any sniping yet either.

The current VR benchmarks shows that Developers share more love for team green. It is obvious. I meen, as a developer, if you dont care how crap, your crappy game works on somebody's hardware, and still release it, it shows how much interest you put into development and how much interest you put in who gives you money.

The current VR benchmarks shows that Developers share more love for team green. It is obvious. I meen, as a developer, if you dont care how crap, your crappy game works on somebody's hardware, and still release it, it shows how much interest you put into development and how much interest you put in who gives you money.
One company dropping out of the game at the high end probably has something to do with it as well.

That's quite the story based on absolutely nothing.

As a consumer, I couldn't care less why AMD is failing to compete, I just are what will actually play our games without my kids vomiting all over the place.

I think you are completely wrong on that front. I mean almost all of these games use UE4 or Unity, if anyone is not showing their love it's AMD for not doing a general optimization for those 2 engines. I am pretty sure if they did it would cover a majority of all the VR games. Developers use the tools to make life easier for them. They aren't writing custom engines in most instances they are using off the shelf parts to build their games cause they don't have the resources to test it in every possible hardware config.

And no, AMD did not drop out of the high end, remember, the 980Ti was a response for the Fury X if you like it or not. Why am i saying that? Well because the 980ti made the TitanX worthless 2-3 weeks before FuryX Launch.
You are simply wrong. Not sure what history has to do with the market now or anything, but anyway. Your post is grasping at straws. Do you not remember AMD talking about targeting the "sweet spot" mainstream GPU for $200??? AMD has dropped out of the high end market this year as it has NOTHING to compete with NVIDIA's Pascal processors.

Nowhere near ready to set up VR in my house.. I will have to make room. But it's cool that [H] is doing the reviews on it already. I like learning about the tech ahead of time, what to expect, etc. I tried out the doom vr demo at Quakecon and it was pretty sweet.

Remember?

This reminds me of a few years ago, during an early closed alpha stage, we were hyped up about a game we were making. And we were putting in a lot of new tech into the game(PS3 btw...).

We thought we had a hit. And then we brought in the contract testers and none of them even remotely liked the game......

Good to know delusion is alive and well throughout the whole gaming industry, hardware or software.

Im sure this question has been asked but. Is there any way to make the text larger on the graphs?......like on my phone its impossible to read. On my 27 inch display its still very hard to read. I think my eyes are dying!

Im sure this question has been asked but. Is there any way to make the text larger on the graphs?......like on my phone its impossible to read. On my 27 inch display its still very hard to read. I think my eyes are dying!
The new mobile site coming soon should address this. These are just very large graphs....

Back