FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD & NVIDIA GPU VR Performance: Google's Tilt Brush - We are changing gears a bit with our VR Performance coverage and looking at an application that is not as GPU-intensive as those we have looked at in the recent past. Google's Tilt Brush is a virtual reality application that makes use of the HTC Vive head mounted display and its motion controllers to allow you to paint in 3D space.

Absolutely Bitchin'!! I thought it would be near the end of my lifetime before I saw something like this..........:)

Last edited:
Very cool program to see in VR...unfortunately I have no artistic talent so what I am able to do amounts to writing my name and making a bunch of fire ribbons all over the place. :p

I've watched a real artist draw in it, though, and it's amazing to behold.

Love the pace of these new VR benchmarks. They get right into the data and let you know what is going to work. Keep it up guys.

The one thing I have taken away from all the current VR tests so far has been the average frame render time for the AMD hardware is consistently higher than the Nvidia hardware.

Any chance at a DX12 VR app? I will be really keen on seeing the AMD frame render times.

I don't think there really are any DX12 VR apps currently...probably in the future.

VR development is currently not very profitable. It isn't worth spending unknown amounts of time/money/energy trying to get DX12/Vulcan working.

The one thing I have taken away from all the current VR tests so far has been the average frame render time for the AMD hardware is consistently higher than the Nvidia hardware.

Any chance at a DX12 VR app? I will be really keen on seeing the AMD frame render times.
I am all for it if you have any suggestions!

Sorry to say I have no suggestions yet.

VR's something that I just want to splash the cash into and see what it's like but kid's starting college, funds are tight, really need to justify it.

Not to mention I tend not to check what my studio's competition is developing. :D

wonder if amd... expirementally dropped frames if it would improve the vr experience or is it unrelated? just wondering if there is a keep to drop frame performance tradeoff that nvidia is doing that helps in high rendering moments.

wonder if amd... expirementally dropped frames if it would improve the vr experience or is it unrelated? just wondering if there is a keep to drop frame performance tradeoff that nvidia is doing that helps in high rendering moments.
No. For all intents and purposes, that is exactly what Reprojection is there for. To combat dropped frames.

Right now, IMO, 4k performance is far more interesting than VR, which seems to be in a still beta state.

The lack of truly compelling games, the headsets which are often heavy and IMO not that comfortable for sustained wearing. There is also the lack of truly compelling content still. Finally for many people, motion sickness remains a serious challenge.

AMD's performance here is rather disappointing; hopefully it is driver and not hardware that keeps them back.

Right now, IMO, 4k performance is far more interesting than VR, which seems to be in a still beta state.
Absolutely, in terms of hardware. In terms of experience, it is extremely compelling. I have a 48" 4K screen, and I find VR room scale gaming much more immersive than desktop has ever been.

Nice review. Performance as expected. And its fun to see the diversity that VR can offer.

lol ok let me re read it! Thanks..its EXACTLY what i thought your conclusion would be! I kinda figured in a non game app it might be the case.

Back