FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD & NVIDIA GPU VR Performance - Google Earth VR - If you have ever experienced Google Earth, which you likely have, and were impressed with the experience, just imagine having a globe about 6 feet across that you can zoom into so close that you can then stand on the street and look up and appreciate the skyscrapers. So what kind of GPU do you need for this VR application?

Considering she did not text or Snapchat any of her friends for a full 30 minutes, I would consider GEVR very compelling to a wide age group.

This in itself is a HUGE accomplishment :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Come on, Kyle. The 480 *needs* this to be counted in the leaderboard to get those average render times down. ;)

I have yet to try this but /r/vive is blowing up about it. Looks fun.

Its awesome that your not doing just games, but other VR experiences as well. I know your only using a Vive, but perhaps, if you can afford it and if it would be worth it from a business perspective, review using PSVR and Oculus? On that note, I keep my adblocker off when on the site, but is that your only site revenue source?

That seemed to work. Thanks. Another great right up. Weird to see the 1070 that behind the 980ti. I wonder if the driver bug that was effecting some Pascal memory clocks played a part in that. https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4260

I did not check to see at the time, but we do NOT use a "factory-overclocked" card either, so it would seem that hotfix would not apply. Either way, it makes zero difference in the realm of performance.

To be quite honest, I did not run a multitude of "re-tests" this time as it was just not relevant. I ran the 1070 and 980 Ti once, looked at the numbers and went on my way.

At the beginning I was running into issues with the TITAN X being jerky with head movement, so I was a bit absorbed with that for a while. A driver re-install fixed it. First time to see that since I have been doing VR with NVIDIA. I just assumed there was something "really" wrong. DOH! When it came to actually playing, I spent a lot of time with the 1060 and 480 trying to push those as hard as I could to see if I could find somewhere they showed weakness.

That looks fun! Thanks for noting that it works in seated mode; did you try it out in seated mode? Given that data is streamed and not cached, it would be helpful to know your available bandwidth. Perhaps as a follow-up you could experiment with restricting your bandwidth to find out the useful lower bound?

I may have picked up a couple of issues:

Firstly on page 4 you write

We have lots of spikes in average GPU Render Time, as we do with all the GPUs tested here today; we will discuss that in our performance summary.

I don't see much in the way of a discussion on page 6.

Secondly, on page 2 you write

I would highly suggest watching this lecture given by Alex Vlachos of Valve on Advanced VR Rendering Performance as it will give you a lot of insight as to what we have discussed here if you need more information.

Did you mean to include a link? Because it's missing.

DNS updates in Denmark usually takes around 24 hours extra (Don't know about britland)
It always takes around a day extra for IP changes to go through to Denmark when i change my IP.

or maybe Good ol' Texan based site just don't like 'em commies dutches...

Still broken for me, could someone kindly post the resolved IP?

Cheers.

DNS updates in Denmark usually takes around 24 hours extra (Don't know about britland)
It always takes around a day extra for IP changes to go through to Denmark when i change my IP.

or maybe Good ol' Texan based site just don't like 'em commies dutches...

just tried but it is failing here as well of this moment (Texas) :(

Yeah, here in Texas too, and it is failing for me.

I had some intermittent issues with HardOCP DNS yesterday, but it seemed fixed. Today I am getting consistent errors.

OK, we found the issue, now to just get it all corrected through the registrar. May take a while to propagate.

"I would highly suggest watching this lecture given by Alex Vlachos of Valve on Advanced VR Rendering Performance as it will give you a lot of insight as to what we have discussed here if you need more information."

Missing link?

missing-link-19.gif

Thanks again Kyle for all your hard work, very much appreciated.

Agreed, once the Windows Mixed up Reality HMD’s hit, would love to see an in-depth review showing performance across all of the VR offerings as well as a subjective comparison as to how each feels/functions and comfort as to in-game use.

Back