AMD Not providing R9 Nano samples to several sites.

OCN is still mildly decent as long as you avoid the obvious trolls on both sides. [H}ard was actually pretty decent when I joined a year ago, but has become a complete green cesspool in the recent few months.

there corrected

I remember when [H] used to pride itself on buying graphics card of the shelf instead of relying on "suspicious" review samples.

AMD doesn't send [H] a free card, so what? Get one from Microcenter.

oh no how can hardocp and techreport do that ? They are used to freebie hardware for testing. They are the poorest of the poor in the world. Any website who is objective, neutral and professional should just buy the card and test it. Most shops have a 2 week return window. So just return it after testing. If they feel thats not possible or they don't have the money to buy the card request an AMD/NV AIB for a sample through an official email communication. (Inform them you will return in good condition after testing).

But no these guys are 5 year olds who will create a shitstorm because they did not get their free sample. That too after trolling AMD with their Fury X and Fury review. Seriously grow up and be a professional. Quit whining and begging for sample. Shameless TR I am talking about you. That begging article was just pathetic.

http://techreport.com/news/28971/wanted-for-review-amd-radeon-r9-nano

If you don't have the money to buy a card for testing you shouldn't be running this business.

lol. So this card will be a ghost to chase. Is this a limited production run SKU that they can't even send it to major websites?

Also TPU had the most favorable review of Fury X that I remember reading.

Add TPU to the list
http://www.techpowerup.com/215776/amd-radeon-r9-nano-review-by-tpu-not.html

Yields must be horrible for the Fury GPU's

Or it's a smokescreen and they want to sell as many as possible to unsuspecting blind buyers before word gets out. Seriously, If they can't even get more than 5 or 6 review samples together, what are they going to sell?

Very, very bizarre way AMD is handling a card they made a very big deal about when they first held it up at E3.

Last edited:
lol. So this card will be a ghost to chase. Is this a limited production run SKU that they can't even send it to major websites?

Also TPU had the most favorable review of Fury X that I remember reading.

This situation reminds me of certain manufacturer that NVIDIA bought...

It's interesting that the IHVs think they have more leverage in this situation. I'm not sure that pissing off the popular tech press is a sound long term strategy.

It's not nVidia. That's all it takes.

Such a great reason. :rolleyes:

Competition is good, I don't understand why some people are so hellbent on taking down nVidia or AMD.

To be completely clear, calling an unreleased card a turd because "it's not nVidia" is an extremely shortsighted comment to make.

How about we, and I may be making a drastic claim here, wait until consumers get their hands on it since most, justifiable, think AMD is only giving cards to reviewers that will talk about them in a positive light. Then we can draw conclusions and make our verdicts from there?

Too drastic or am I being fair?

EDIT: Hell, I'm building in a smaller case soon, need a mITX GPU, and have some money laying around, I'll buy one and provide benches first hand here since [H] isn't getting one.

Last edited:
Other than price, how have you objectively determined that they have a giant turd on their hands?

You are not going to get objectivity here in this forum. Not with the atmosphere prevailing here in this forum and the attitude seen in this site recently.

It's not nVidia. That's all it takes.

yeah. well said.

Competition is good, I don't understand why some people are so hellbent on taking down nVidia or AMD.

To be completely clear, calling an unreleased card a turd because "it's not nVidia" is an extremely shortsighted comment to make.

How about we, and I may be making a drastic claim here, wait until consumers get their hands on it since most, justifiable, think AMD is only giving cards to reviewers that will talk about them in a positive light. Then we can draw conclusions and make our verdicts from there?

EDIT: Hell, I'm building in a smaller case soon, need a mITX GPU, and have some money laying around, I'll buy one and provide benches first hand here since [H] isn't getting one.

Right now hardocp and hardforums is the last place where you can expect people to be neutral, objective and rational. Not when AMD told hardocp to buzz off :D

Last edited:

Have to say I wish I had some money laying around to buy one. :D Oh well, I just do not buy on impulse like I used to back in the 90's. (Not saying you are though.0

Other than price, how have you objectively determined that they have a giant turd on their hands?

Trust me if this card was awesome they would be sending cards to everyone on the planet. The fact that they won't give TR and [H] a card is proof enough that they don't want an honest review of the card.

Have to say I wish I had some money laying around to buy one. :D Oh well, I just do not buy on impulse like I used to back in the 90's. (Not saying you are though.0

Yeah, it's either the 970 ITX or Nano for my case so might as well get the latter since I am curious whether or not this card can stand the claims AMD made (I hope it does since I just sold my 980 since it doesn't fit in my new case). :D

He was being sarcastic.

But in the end he's probably right anyway.

Jeez, the toxicity of these discussions. Woo! Gotta get some fresh air.

Why can we just discuss this like levelheaded individuals?

We know AMD isn't going to manufacture many of these cards, HBM memory and all.

That is a fact.

Some reviewers aren't going to get these cards, why?

We do not know. Is it because the card is going to be terrible in every way possible? Maybe? Is it because of the HBM shortage? Possibly, but we do not for sure.

Now, if you cannot trust any reviewer because you think that AMD is trying to make the Nano look good, go ahead and believe that, it could be true, could be false.

I believe that it is true, so I'll be buying my own on launch day, provided I can get my hands on one, and I'll be posting benches here.

Seriously, some people here are so biased, I swear. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think anyone who stated that they are going to test it on an SFF case got off the list of AMD. If a guy in open bench is claiming 5-10% throttling on the Nano, imagine if you throw it in the oven that is the SFF case.

All conjecture ofcourse. We will know on 10th, what's what.

Trust me if this card was awesome they would be sending cards to everyone on the planet. The fact that they won't give TR and [H] a card is proof enough that they don't want an honest review of the card.

Lol, as I asked, do you have any objective proof, not subjective?

I can understand them having a stricter policy on giving out review samples now, as it seems like these days any retard with a blog or youtube account can put out a "review".

I do feel that they should have sent a review sample to Hardocp, but at the same time, is is really that big of a deal actually having to buy the stuff that gets reviewed?

All AMD is doing is previewing their technology for the new cards that will launch next year when the die shrink happens and HBM2 is on the market. I don't even think that they are being malicious or petty towards any tech website. Lisa Su is probably having them test run some cards to see how their process is working, and they came out so well that they decided to allow a few onto the market to show off. Will probably see a Zen tech preview next year also.

That's my opinion.

I think anyone who stated that they are going to test it on an SFF case got off the list of AMD. If a guy in open bench is claiming 5-10% throttling on the Nano, imagine if you throw it in the oven that is the SFF case.

All conjecture ofcourse. We will know on 10th, what's what.

Well, I'm not sure if my new case is coming in by the time I get the Nano, but I'll put it in my M1 and post benches.

I can understand them having a stricter policy on giving out review samples now, as it seems like these days any retard with a blog or youtube account can put out a "review".

I do feel that they should have sent a review sample to Hardocp, but at the same time, is is really that big of a deal actually having to buy the stuff that gets reviewed?

Anything to up the sales? :)

I think it's fairly idiotic of them in many ways. It's not like Hardocp hasn't been here for 15+ years.

I just hope it doesn't negatively affect them. As much as people are trying to push points to make AMD look good right now with DX 12 and all that, I can't help but feel that AMD is once again always trying to catch up rather than compete with it's competition.

I would assume that this is just some childish attempt to drum up buzz about the card.

"There's a super limited supply of this magical new thing, guys! It's so rare! Pre-order yours today!"

No way is the supply so limited that they couldn't send some out to proper, respected reviewers. Artificial.

They gave one away yesterday during the live stream. I guess they had 1 extra.

Well then I guess they are cherry picking review sites.

I don't even think that they are being malicious or petty towards any tech website

Of course you don't. You would defend them if they were caught clubbing baby seals with their video cards. Oh that's right only NVIDIA has biased fans, AMD fans are all "fair and balanced". In fact AMD doesn't even have fans, every single one of them claims to not be a fan of any company. :rolleyes:

Of course you don't. You would defend them if they were caught clubbing baby seals with their video cards. Oh that's right only NVIDIA has biased fans, AMD fans are all "fair and balanced". In fact AMD doesn't even have fans, every single one of them claims to not be a fan of any company. :rolleyes:

I really don't think AMD is capable of sneaking up on seals to be honest. The power usage alone would make them run out of fuel faster, and to overclock to get the performance needed to get there would make the ice caps melt and the seals would swim away.

From the looks of it, it's always team green that jumps and rallying with pitchforks if AMD even sneezes.

People think different, hardforums got too many nvidia fanboys + kyle hangup = no card
Screenshot_2015_09_06_09_34_20.png

People think different, hardforums got too many nvidia fanboys + kyle hangup = no card

Anyone that claims a site is bias without long standing evidence deserves to be ignored. If the company handling PR for AMD read the thread and decided not to send one based on that post they're fucking morons and AMD should dump them. Being petty is a terrible way for a PR agency to act. Though, most likely AMD told the PR agency they had x number of cards to send to reviewers and the agency decided to send them to people they believed would be more favorable to the card. It doesn't send a great message about their trust in the product but as far as PR decisions go it isn't a bad one.

Anyone that claims a site is bias without long standing evidence deserves to be ignored. If the company handling PR for AMD read the thread and decided not to send one based on that post they're fucking morons and AMD should dump them. Being petty is a terrible way for a PR agency to act. Though, most likely AMD told the PR agency they had x number of cards to send to reviewers and the agency decided to send them to people they believed would be more favorable to the card. It doesn't send a great message about their trust in the product but as far as PR decisions go it isn't a bad one.

lol

Wow that was such an amazing, intelligent, well reasoned response. It covered everything I said so eloquently that I can't argue with your obviously vastly higher intellect and knowledge of the situation. :rolleyes:

I think some of us have seen the mood change around here and sometimes I think am at the EVGA forums...

It is really unfortunate and sad in this day and age that the days of having a civil discussion without rhetoric, personal bashing and providing honest information have gone to the wayside in this forum on [H]. It seems that nowadays all I see are people arguing which then deteriorates even further with non-topic related injection of manure flinging because one - or more - person/people cannot constructively voice their opinions with respect to the other.

I firmly believe if everyone here was held to the standards that [H] have set the video card forums would be a lot better place to obtain reliable information from; not just the reviews that [H] produces. For free to anyone, I might add.

People come here with the purpose of giving others a hard time.
Whether its trolls, fanboys, shills, bad moods or forum wars.

It is really unfortunate and sad in this day and age that the days of having a civil discussion without rhetoric, personal bashing and providing honest information have gone to the wayside in this forum on [H]. It seems that nowadays all I see are people arguing which then deteriorates even further with non-topic related injection of manure flinging because one - or more - person/people cannot constructively voice their opinions with respect to the other.

I firmly believe if everyone here was held to the standards that [H] have set the video card forums would be a lot better place to obtain reliable information from; not just the reviews that [H] produces. For free to anyone, I might add.

To be honest I find it easy to avoid what doesn't matter and just get to the heart of it. Despite accused fanboy'isms and so forth HardOCP has provided some pretty insightful information.

In counter to what you say I think the cool part about this all is once you get passed the small quips and so forth, the content provided above is still mostly there to be read now or months from now. If it's any consultation I read a lot of the good stuff that you mentioned and it creates for interesting discussion and decision making.

Holding to standards? All I can say is this.

People say stupid shit. If we get offended we are giving power to them. Only we ourselves choose how long we are offended after the initial post. Some people may feed off the vitriol and attention given towards them. I don't think it's HardOCP's job to dictate our jobs for us. I think it's our own job to make this a better place.

Back