AMD Not providing R9 Nano samples to several sites.

It's not just you. Hell I'm not even 30 yet and I still feel the same way.

+1 to that.

It's easier to cut to the chase in a written article (be it hardware review, game walkthrough, etc) than it is in a video, and it's much faster to read indepth information than it is to listen half the amount of information on a video. Some data are also best displayed on a page rather than on a movie.

At this point if you want a SFF card you might as well just wait for 16nm + HBM2.

At this point if you want a SFF card you might as well just wait for 16nm + HBM2.

If you want a new graphics card at all you wait for 16nm + HBM2. Nvidia isn't doing well with DX12 ASYNC and AMD needs to refresh their product line. I wouldn't purchase anything unless it was a second card for CrossfireX / SLi at such a great price that it was almost given away.

Nvidia isn't doing well with DX12 ASYNC.

Based off of one alpha game that started life as a Mantle techdemo? If you're getting your hopes up that DX12 is going to be the magic saviour of AMD_Roy & friends, there's heartbreak ahead. Even if it were true, devs won't code for something that would only benefit a minority.

Nvidia isn't doing well with DX12 ASYNC

Let's wait till DX12 games come out, what kind of feature support there is in games, and see how cards stack up.

Cart so far beyond the horse the cart is in the industrial age, while the horse waits in the stone age.

Typically, hardware upgrades are needed to exploit new DX features, always been this way. I don't expect Maxwell or GCN 1.2 to support all DX12 features, we are lucky just to get some support with current hardware IMO.

AMD won't give cards to reviewers, but NVIDIA will give cards to everyone

https://www.facebook.com/NVIDIAGeFo...466964019/1201773296508792/?type=1&permPage=1

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1396341

How quickly they forget...

I'll just quote Crosshairs since his post seems to also apply at the amount of butthurt overreaction in this thread:

I cant believe some of you guys get so upset over marketing strategy.
This numbers game is not new and has been going on for years, not just with video cards but with all sorts of products.

No one with half a brain gets fooled, and who really cares about it anyway.

Sounds to me like the review sites that didn't get a review sample can just go out, buy one, and then rip it to shreds. Technically speaking, the Nano looks great. But not at $650. Fuck that noise.

How much should it cost? It's a premium product for a niche market. They're likely taking the best Fury X cores and using them for Nano, so they can keep the power consumption as low as possible. There's nothing else the size of the Fury Nano with the performance it packs. Just because you and I aren't the intended market for it doesn't negate its attributes.

That's part of the problem. It's trendy now to hate AMD regardless if the other guys are doing the same thing or not. Doesn't matter. AMD sucks. It's like the front page story of AMD cutting R&D funding. Oh noes! AMD sux! Doesn't matter Intel did the same thing but that story never made it to the front page.

I agree AMD brings a lot of it on themselves with the overpriced Fury, the overpriced Nano but it does get a little over the top sometimes. Yeah they're struggling but they're competing against Intel and Nvidia who are bigger companies with a lot more cash and resources but they don't get any benefit of doubt ever. I mean the Fury is the first lackluster GPU release from them since they bought ATI but you'd think they were the worst cards ever in the world despite their only downside being they're overpriced by about $50. But the $1000 Titan, well that's just fine.

That's part of the problem. It's trendy now to hate AMD regardless if the other guys are doing the same thing or not. Doesn't matter. AMD sucks. It's like the front page story of AMD cutting R&D funding. Oh noes! AMD sux! Doesn't matter Intel did the same thing but that story never made it to the front page.

I agree AMD brings a lot of it on themselves with the overpriced Fury, the overpriced Nano but it does get a little over the top sometimes. Yeah they're struggling but they're competing against Intel and Nvidia who are bigger companies with a lot more cash and resources but they don't get any benefit of doubt ever. I mean the Fury is the first lackluster GPU release from them since they bought ATI but you'd think they were the worst cards ever in the world despite their only downside being they're overpriced by about $50. But the $1000 Titan, well that's just fine.

Really? They don't get the benefit of the doubt? Explain the hype for the Fury X leading to launch, all the people frothing at the mouth about DX12, the crazy hype prior to the launch of bulldozer, etc. If you only focus on the fanboys of course you will only see what they're saying.

It was 6 years ago, and it was one card on its third rebrand. AMD has now denied both the Fury X and Nano to multiple review websites... They are brand new GPUs, not rebrands. :rolleyes:

If Nvidia were denying 980 Ti's to reviewers then it would be the same size shitstorm, if not larger. I see people justifying AMD's decision by saying things like this:
they are not going to willingly help them give them negative press because they are perceived as biased ... Why help those trying to tear you down? Perfectly logical.

AMD should avoid making niche products with low supply and then maybe they will gain marketshare and have enough units to supply to reviewers.

Absolute bull. They get this biggest benefit of the doubt because they are the underdog. However at a critical time, when they can't afford to make mistakes, they deserved to be called out because the room for error for the company is basically zero at this point.

AMD was basically allowed to rebrand and upprice an entire lineup because they are the underdog. The rebrand combined with the up price is ridiculous, you should never pay more for yesterdays technology. This is understandable in AMD sake because they can't afford to make a new lineup, it was accepted because of the financial state of the company. However they still needed to come up with something since Nvidia came out with an entire lineup so alot of hopes rode on Fury. But Fury underwhelmed because of AMD hype and AMD viral leaks coming out since maxwell's leaks.

The problem was even though Fury under delivered, they still are trying to sell it at higher pricing than nvidia products.

What adds to this problem is AMD can't charge first rate pricing, when they have the inferior product and when they are the value brand. This is understandable because much of the reason AMD has fans is because they have typically provided better value for the money.

This is a bad time for AMD to lose it's value sense because they simply don't have the products to justify it. AMD did this on an even worse scale when they initially launched the fx 9590. This probably had the worst initial pricing at 900 dollars ever. The nano at $650 is kind of like that. Not as bad but considering more people wanted a nano, it probably going to have a greater impact.

To have unusual pricing that doesn't fit into the rest of the market, it better be the fastest card or it's going to be a failure. Titan X at the time qualified for this pricing because it was significantly faster than the next closest card. Nano on the other hand is in a weird place. It's probaby going to end up 20 percent slower than a gtx 980 ti with the same price and the niche nano fits into really doesn't exist. This is because most itx cases can fit full size videocards. Add in that nano doesn't have hdmi 2.0 which is the most desirable in the very smallest cases for HTPCs and it not a stretch to see AMD just screwed up on it's marketing research and is out of touch.

People want AMD to succeed but they are going to be called out on their blunders when they are self inflicted.

I have to agree and have noticed not only here but other forums I go to as well. You clearly said that AMD brings a lot onto themselves but, I have already seen folks ignore that part as though you did not say it at all. Hating on AMD is pretty much the norm around here nowadays. Just check out what happens when something positive happens in the AMD cpu section.

Hating on AMD is pretty much the norm around here nowadays. Just check out what happens when something positive happens in the AMD cpu section.

What has happened with AMD CPUs in recent history that has even been positive?

Even if it were true, devs won't code for something that would only benefit a minority.
If it's a cross-platform title also on PS4/XB1 they will, those consoles both use GCN architecture so most of the work is already done. This is a big feature on consoles, they're already using asynchronous compute in games.

I wonder and wonder who this card is for. My suggestions of prosumer markets (existing hardware limits, for acceleration of Photoshop and the like) fell flat, as did my suggestion that it should be a server compute card, where they actually care about performance per watt and would value the higher efficiency chip for the same cost.

So the only other conclusion I have is-- Steam boxes. It was directly for Project Quantum and similar machines. Perf/watt is a huge deal there because of PSU size limits, and the retail price is a starting place for negotiations rather than a fixed price. They say "mini ITX" because it's the smallest standard they can quote, but "non-standard" is probably going to be the name of the game. Custom VR boxes even.

quantum prototypes are using the furxy x2

AMD said it would be available in single GPU flavor as well, so you could be right.

Well have to see how big the x2 is.

What has happened with AMD CPUs in recent history that has even been positive?

He probably means finding another badly made article about cpus in gaming from some obscure website which shows how FX=8 core Intel in games due to testing in place bottlenecked by GPU ;)

I wonder and wonder who this card is for. My suggestions of prosumer markets (existing hardware limits, for acceleration of Photoshop and the like) fell flat, as did my suggestion that it should be a server compute card, where they actually care about performance per watt and would value the higher efficiency chip for the same cost.

So the only other conclusion I have is-- Steam boxes. It was directly for Project Quantum and similar machines. Perf/watt is a huge deal there because of PSU size limits, and the retail price is a starting place for negotiations rather than a fixed price. They say "mini ITX" because it's the smallest standard they can quote, but "non-standard" is probably going to be the name of the game. Custom VR boxes even.

I hope they have secret Linux drivers to show for that because current situation is tragic.

He probably means finding another badly made article about cpus in gaming from some obscure website which shows how FX=8 core Intel in games due to testing in place bottlenecked by GPU ;)

I hope they have secret Linux drivers to show for that because current situation is tragic.

I mean exactly what I said, deal with it. :p

It depends. If you are talking about the open source drivers then actually AMD's drivers are better. However, if you are talking about the closed source drivers the opposite is true.

AMDNanoGiveaway-Twitter.png

So AMD, TR and others have been testing AMD products for over ten years. Why all of a sudden are these sites judged "unfair"?

AMD has let me know that HardOCP does not fit its "audience profile, focus, methodology, and product value prop," when it comes to its Nano product.

I just moved the thread by Elmy that was a sponsored AMD NANO build here on our forums to the trash. Sorry Elmy....you are trying to connect with the wrong "audience profile." :(

On the bright side, at least we know not to take any initial Nano review seriously (or to even bother reading them), as this has shown they will all be heavily biased to AMD's favor - at least, according to AMD (which is good enough to conclude so for myself).

Gets popcorn.

Oh and AMD need to realise that the anti AMD sentiment in the forums is directed toward the few AMD fanatics that spout constant crap that needs debunking.
Not toward AMD themselves.
AMD have made some very rash decisions with their hardware, driver support and how they conduct themselves now.
But I would have purchased from them and recommended them again if they sorted the first 2 out.
After this, they are digging a hole so deep I can see them sinking in it.

Its going to be a very long time before I can be sure they will be alive long enough for them to be able to support a purchase.
And to be able to trust them.

I have no clue who TPU is. Fact is there are way too many review sites and only two cards producers, so its a good idea to have that prospective.

As unfortunate as it is, you gotta admit that [H]'s review is different, the method is unique, and I wouldn't be surprise if AMD find the reviews here "puzzling" and "unimportant" to most potential buyers (honestly, most people are just looking for clear bar graphs, if you haven't realize that). I doubt they are deliberately trying to impact benchmark results, since most sites have very standardized benchmark process, any significant change to that will obviously causes suspicion.

So relax. if it's as a unimportant product as you think, review it or not isn't gonna make much difference to your viewing count.

Now, I would be interested to hear what AMD considers "fair", it is entirely possible that they have a good point (or good points, such as they told TR), especially when DX12 is coming out and they are favored.

So AMD, TR and others have been testing AMD products for over ten years. Why all of a sudden are these sites judged "unfair"?

Over the last week, I have seen people post that , HardOCP, Anandtech, Tech Report, Tech Power Up and Toms Hardware are all pro-Nvidia. :rolleyes: The finger pointing is just getting out of hand

I have no clue who TPU is. Fact is there are way too many review sites and only two cards producers, so its a good idea to have that prospective.

Actually, there really is not too many any more. And this is coming from the guy that calls the other review sites "competition."

You get that when the current generation of pc builders reside on echo-chamber friendly sites like /r/AMD.

It's also youth though. Younger builders simply don't have the length of history or experience to not get caught up in RDF.

Looking forward to Kyle's write-up haha. AMD and social media has never been a good combination.

Over the last week, I have seen people post that , HardOCP, Anandtech, Tech Report, Tech Power Up and Toms Hardware are all pro-Nvidia. :rolleyes: The finger pointing is just getting out of hand

I don't know about others, but Anandtech is pro-nVidia. When Radeon 7xxx released, Anandtech reviewed the reference card with massively OC'ed 460 upon "request from nVidia".

Really? You make your review decision upon card maker's "request"? If that's not bias, I don't know what is.

Back