AMD Not "Banning" ASRock from Selling in Europe

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I am not going to say that the most recent reports of AMD "banning" ASRock sales of its GPUs in Europe was a PR and marketing tool used to counter AMD's recent anti-GPP marketing "Freedom of Choice" campaign, but that is exactly what I think it was. Anyway, Jason Evangelho has the scoop on this at Forbes. Sadly, ASRock still refuses to talk to HardOCP after it was receptive to our reviews of some of it very crappy motherboards years ago. Glad they will talk to Jason and get the full story out there. Thanks cageymaru.

Clearly this contradicts comments from the ASRock representative who spoke to Tom's Hardware Germany.

Too bad if true, the part about only selling to miners, that is.

Damn somebody has got to start selling GPUs for normal use at a reasonable price, otherwise......I'll have to buy an XBone.

Or just a single dumb @$$ that didn't correctly relay information. Maybe just made some crap up.

Top brass "We are going to focus on batch sales for now. Maybe we could target 100-500 unit batches? Likely this will be Integrators, system builders, and the like. Ha, maybe some of those crazy miners will try to buy 100. We are not moving to direct retail just yet, untill we see how the metrics play out."

Yields:

Mid brass "upper management said we are marketing to miners, and oem system builders in batches of 500+ units. You are not authorized to sell these new AMD cards to retailers!"

Yields:

Lower management "News from the CEO himself/herself! AMD banned us from selling to gamers! We can only sell cards to miners and major computer builders. They want lots of 5,000 plus, but might let someone buy as few as 500 if they are a miner."

*Edited to explain my thoughts.

Last edited:
I cannot say how many sites I had seen claiming this that or the other thing in this regard

maybe it was a play on the human condition that if ones is prevented from getting something (whatever it is)
often enough it enforces the GOTS TO HAVE IT mentality.

I think they look pretty nice if anything, but, I will buy from a company that I can easily deal with RMA within my country
and not have to have it shipped elsewhere at an extra cost in hopes they do not refuse the shipment if it gets damaged from the time it leaves my hands untill the time the get it in theirs.

Wish there werre more companies out there that have enough faith in their product that they would do crosship pay nothing up front but want a Ccard number or something in case you try to one up them and defraud their good will.

I think it would be hilarious if AMD and Asrock did exactly this, leak a false story to get the juices rolling for a buy as soon as it hits store shelves for their newest GPU AIB ^.^

I still think personally the companies that offer wares in northarmerica should be offering RMA centers through Canada and USA or only for the countries that they have actual RMA centers located on our shores, limit sales "maybe" but would likely keep consumers that much happier vs sending the $$$$ elsewhere.

ASRock makes AMD motherboards. Why would AMD do such a thing to such a bushes partner? It just seems unbelievable. To me, if AMD had a concern, they would address it privately.

Back