AMD Navi RX 3080 $249. Leaks & Rumors.

Thing I don't get about this is AMD almost never releases a new product then kills it within a few months - 590 for example. They put in a lot of effort to collaborate with Samsung for that chip. I would expect a V56 level Navi next year at best, with the really juicy stuff in 2020.

Performance always increases over time, while the cost of today's performance can be had for less tomorrow. In other words: nothing to see here. Let me know when they compete again at the high end. Until then I'll be gaming on my 2080 Ti @ 3440x1440/100Hz.

Reactions: JMCB
like this
Makes no sense from any point of view. Especially business point of view.
If 3080 trades blows with 2070 which is like $500, then why is the price of 3080 set at $250 and not around $400? Being $100 cheaper it will still sell like hotcakes. This screams fake.

I'll say that if the rumor is true, they better have TSMC fabbing them by the fuckton*, otherwise their MSRP means little ;)

[*those are Colonizer Fucktons]

It does seem unbelievable, but it could be an aggressive move to gain market share.

Vega was a decent card (GTX 1080 level, more than most people have) but the pricing problems at launch hurt it bad.

If this rumor is true, AMD would absolutely kill it for the mid-range (and, let's be honest, that is a huge percentage of the market).

It would be a smart move in terms of the market share and brand, and it might even be for revenue if the volume and supply is there.

Last edited:
If the Vega 56 had been available while I was looking for a graphics card, I would probably have an AMD card in my system. Instead, I got the 1070 about 13 months before the Vega was available. Product has to be available for it to sell.

If 3080 trades blows with 2070 which is like $500, then why is the price of 3080 set at $250 and not around $400? Being $100 cheaper it will still sell like hotcakes. This screams fake.

You have to remember a good portion of the 2070 die is RTX. It’s almost the same size as the Titan Xp. (445mm^2 vs 471mm^2).

Without the RTX garbage it would have been around 300mm^2 on 12nm. That’s basically a 50% larger die for no good reason atm.

$250 seems a bit low and we have a history of having unrealistic expectations for AMD which IMO hurts the launches, but it’s not impossible.

AMD needs market share, but they also need profits, so I can't see those prices being realistic. If the GPUs are very economical to manufacture I could see low prices in the lower-mainstream market but if they can deliver RTX 2070 performance they'd be dumb to sell it for less than $350ish since that would still be an amazing deal.

Performance always increases over time, while the cost of today's performance can be had for less tomorrow. In other words: nothing to see here. Let me know when they compete again at the high end. Until then I'll be gaming on my 2080 Ti @ 3440x1440/100Hz.
This is a stupid post. 99.9% of consumers aren't spending $1300 on a GPU, so AMD releasing cards in the $150-300 price range where the money is made is very relevant.

Halo cards help sales but they're not what keeps companies afloat.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGG0HCdqK1h2gpE2BZEqVwXuEpqCpbldaB2-7pJxstCYMSRRz1.jpg

Seriously! Give it to meeee!

At that price, they will struggle to keep them on the shelves! I hope this holds somewhat true.

Last edited:
This is a stupid post. 99.9% of consumers aren't spending $1300 on a GPU, so AMD releasing cards in the $150-300 price range where the money is made is very relevant.

Yes. Same reason why Honda's sell so well. I see a lot more Honda's on the road than Ferrari's.

It sounds too fake to be true :D:D
I say consider two things:

1. The mid-range tier $200-$300 has stagnated more than the higher-end tiers in recent years. The last big jump there was the GTX 1060, 2 years ago, which was only about 15% faster than the GTX 970. It's been over 4 years and the $250 today gets you about 15% more performance than 2014. The high-end tiers have already jumped 1070 -> Ti, 1080 -> Ti, and now the entire RTX series at $500+.

$700 in 2015 got you a 980 Ti, $700 today gets you an RTX 2080 which is over 60% faster with Turing features.
The only thing that has happened in the mid-range is Polaris rebrands and a new 1060 or two, so basically nothing. I would say at this point the mid-range is long overdue for an upgrade.

2. Vega 64 was down to $340 on Black Friday. Its regular price is about $400 with a 3-game bundle. Dropping that down to $250 seems like the obvious next step.

RTX GPUs have wasted die space on raytracing/tensor cores. Take those away, throw in a smaller process, and the performance jump isn't surprising at all, even for AMD.

Last edited:
This sounds very much like the rumors around Polaris launch that claimed it'll be on par with a 980Ti.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I do find it strange the RX 590 launched literally 2 weeks ago at $280 and AMD will be replacing it with something like the Vega 64+ in January.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I don't think we'll see these cards at $250. Pricing seems too low for one thing, and even if MSRP was $250, actual prices on these will skyrocket at the retail level as retailers gouge the fuck out of us like they have been for the last couple of years thanks to mining, even if miners don't want it (which I doubt) I feel like there's a lot of pent up demand for decent performing cards in the mid range price bracket. Not to mention AMD would be leaving a lot of potential profit on the table, market share could still be captured at a higher price point- $350 for example.

Basically, I'll believe it when I see it.

Even if the price is $400, speculatively you'd be getting a card that's on par performance wise with a 2070 for less money. And, let's be honest, the RTX features in the 2070 are useless. The extra money spent on the 2070 would be for unrealized returns. I'm thinking $350-400 will be the price on the 3080 and we'll see a price drop on the 590 to the $250 price point.

The mid-range tier $200-$300 has stagnated more than the higher-end tiers in recent years.

RTX GPUs have wasted die space on raytracing/tensor cores. Take those away, throw in a smaller process, and the performance jump isn't surprising at all, even for AMD.

That was an insightful take on things. Indeed, in the past 4 years the only clear progress has been for those who paid a truckload for flagship GPUs. There is no doubt and numbers support that. Those tensor cores on the RTX cards definitely use a lot of space, take those out, the card is half the size. Add the 7nm process, I can see that kind of performance for $250, easily. Considering the state of the market, though, it should still make wonders for the average gamer.

Nvidia, on the other hand, now has a problem: 2080 has gpu+tensor (that's an inaccurate broad description, but you get the point). 2070 is a cut gpu and cut tensors. They could make 2060 with the same gpu, and charge half the money, but they can't, because you can't have a 2060 be the same as 2070 minus tensor cores. So they'll nerf the 2060 exceedingly like they always do, to force market segmenation. They'll sell it still for a higher price and make extra profit from making a cheap gpu that still costs more. They could choose to make a $200 card, but they won't do that unless AMD forces them to, since this money grab strategy has been working for them for the past 4 years.

Bottom line - these AMD rumors are not stretching what's possible, and could be a healthy kick in the pants for Nvidia. Here's hoping users won't blindly keep buying Geforce even though it's a worse midrange value most of the time.

Even if the price is $400, speculatively you'd be getting a card that's on par performance wise with a 2070 for less money. And, let's be honest, the RTX features in the 2070 are useless. The extra money spent on the 2070 would be for unrealized returns. I'm thinking $350-400 will be the price on the 3080 and we'll see a price drop on the 590 to the $250 price point.

I would totally pay $399 for an AMD GPU of that level of power, no questions asked. Considering I'm back on my backup RX570 after my V64 died this week and I returned it (2 days within the Amazon return window) I could really use it for my 240hz screen.

Given that the info is from WCCFTech, I'm going to go with +grain of salt ... from what I've seen here on [H] in the past from fellow posters, alot of WCCFtech posts are click bait or just plain wrong.

Either way I'll believe it when I see it but I do hope so since I personally think Nvidia's focus on dedicating so much hardware + costs to dedicated RT was a mistake. I hope AMD cuts that nonsense out and focuses (both design and die space) on improving pure raster performance instead.

I'd do 4K + all settings at ultra vs 1080+RT any day.

I'm not making a business case, and I don't buy mid-range hardware so I don't give a crap about AMD's latest value product. All I said was I will be interested when AMD sells a product that interests me. That's "stupid"? Get a clue, get a job, and grow up.

If it actually comes out at those prices or not is almost irrelevant.... for disruption purposes anyway.

If this news causes people to hold off on buying Green team, then AMD wins.

They can set REAL pricing later to maximize profits and demand.

Given that the info is from WCCFTech, I'm going to go with +grain of salt ... from what I've seen here on [H] in the past from fellow posters, alot of WCCFtech posts are click bait or just plain wrong.

Either way I'll believe it when I see it but I do hope so since I personally think Nvidia's focus on dedicating so much hardware + costs to dedicated RT was a mistake. I hope AMD cuts that nonsense out and focuses (both design and die space) on improving pure raster performance instead.

I'd do 4K + all settings at ultra vs 1080+RT any day.
WCCF May have reported on it but I was under the assumption that this was leaked by a “trusted source” to that AdoredTV guy who did a lengthy video on the leaks, and how they were similar to a different set of leaks.

Keep telling yourself that, brain-washed zealot. My card runs great. AMD isn't even in the same ball park.
Pretty sure that was just a joke buddy guy. You don’t have to be a brainwashed zealot to realize some people’s 2080ti’s have gone full space invaders on them.

AMD has done this previously with the HD4870/4890 and a few other generations.

As far as I know, the AMD cards won't have Tensor or RT so that's a substantial bit off of the production costs right there (look at how much of the die those take up) and in turn retail price that they "could" offer it at just to get mind / market share.

Like it or not raster performance is still king IMO :-D

As far as I know, the AMD cards won't have Tensor or RT so that's a substantial bit off of the production costs right there (look at how much of the die those take up) and in turn retail price that they "could" offer it at just to get mind / market share.

Like it or not raster performance is still king IMO :-D

What would be hilarious is if AMD shipped Navi with RT but didn't tell anyone. Then released a driver update at launch to enable it. :sneaky:

I'm not making a business case, and I don't buy mid-range hardware so I don't give a crap about AMD's latest value product. All I said was I will be interested when AMD sells a product that interests me. That's "stupid"? Get a clue, get a job, and grow up.

Who says you can't buy what you want? Who says someone saying midrange is where most cards sell is broke and doesn't have a job? You think everyone with a job should be going out to buy 1300 dollar GPU?

Its clearly not a product for you but it will be for the masses. So yea definitely nothing to see for you, but everything to see for a lot of people if true. LOL

I take the sources at their word "Take this with a grain of salt".

Thing I don't get about this is AMD almost never releases a new product then kills it within a few months - 590 for example. They put in a lot of effort to collaborate with Samsung for that chip. I would expect a V56 level Navi next year at best, with the really juicy stuff in 2020.
if i recall the 4890 had a short life too. and within about 3 months or so the 5870/50 was out. my 4890 was a good card btw minus the coil whine.:confused:

What would be hilarious is if AMD shipped Navi with RT but didn't tell anyone. Then released a driver update at launch to enable it. :sneaky:

Well, the only people they'd be 'owning' would be themselves; they'll need to be working with developers as soon as they have DXR support in their drivers, before they even have the hardware, not waiting until after the hardware ships...

Yeah that price, out of all of the recent AMD leaks seems the most surprising to me. All the CPU stuff seems pretty realistic, maybe the prices are a teeny bit lower but nothing ridiculous. That perf for $250, damn though. I feel like they could charge at LEAST $300, probably $350 and STILL sell just as many, it would be a bargain still at those prices. Smells like the HD4850 vs the GTX280 or the R9 290X vs the OG Titan again though, which is awesome. Man, it would be so cool to see AMD bustout some truly competitive stuff, I mean if they can claw their way back into the to end GPU market... I mean, nvidia is an 800lb gorilla compared to AMD, but hey, so is Intel and they are doing pretty damn good vs Intel right now so I really don't believe that it's out of the question. I will definitely be buying a new AMD GPU next year..

it will be infuriating to all 6 people that have bought RX590's for $300~ ... also somewhat infuriating having just bought a just under $200 RX580 to me as well, if this thing drops at $250

Back