AMD Navi RX 3080 $249. Leaks & Rumors.

Only to the ones who don't do their research. The 590 is a hold over card. Navi isn't coming out for at least another 5-6 months.

No doubt on this timing and no way in holy heckfire the top Navi will be $250. April-June for $350-400 is my guess if it competes with 2070.

AMD's marketing team must be rolling over laughing that this rumor (likely planted by an AMD influencer) took flight.

Guys... We do this shit every time. Hugely optimistic.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Par for the course.

You would hope [H] members would be a bit more reserved in buying wholeheartedly into these guerrilla plants having seen them again, and again, and again since 1998.

Someone dig up the old Vega thread started in 2013 for a prime example (and laugh). Hell, someone dig up the old R500, R680, Fermi ect, ect threads for that matter -- rampant, gravy train, myopic optimism.

The new 3000 series may even the pack somewhat in price/performance, but they're not launching for a while and no where near well-priced as some folks in this thread are purporting.

You would hope [H] members would be a bit more reserved in buying wholeheartedly into these guerrilla plants having seen them again, and again, and again since 1998.

Someone dig up the old Vega thread started in 2013 for a prime example (and laugh). Hell, someone dig up the old R500, R680, Fermi ect, ect threads for that matter -- rampant, gravy train, myopic optimism.

The new 3000 series may even the pack somewhat in price/performance, but they're not launching for a while and no where near well-priced as some folks in this thread are purporting.

That is not what AdoredTV is saying.
That when the product goals are set you can expect some changes but not that much were talking about chips that are in being made today not about an architecture that is coming in 3 years...
The prices may change according to AdoredTV but he says that it is likely within $40.
If AMD releases Navi next year you bet that these things are covered. The precise performance is not known but closer to launch that will clear up other things as well (price).

The Vega thread was hilarious because it kept going with the crazy optimism even after launch reviews showed it to be underwhelming.

The thing is the Vega series are good cards. People just set unrealistic expectations. I hope we don’t do it again. Expectations - reality = happiness is a pretty true statement.

I have little doubt that the performance predictions are more or less accurate. As for pricing, they will be less expensive because the CEO Lisa knows what she is doing. Severely undercutting NVidia and also playing off Nvidia's space invaders video cards will be a one two punch. Actual prices will only be known when they are released and hopefully, there will be an enforced 2 per person limit. (EBay flippers need not apply.)

Thing that throws these predictions out the most (apart from price) is the recent launch of the 590 on it's own process from Samsung.

Thing that throws these predictions out the most (apart from price) is the recent launch of the 590 on it's own process from Samsung.

Not if you see the RX 590 as a stopgap. No one was waiting for it unlikely that OEM dug a hole for themselves buying in they knew about Navi , it is not a trick where AMD suckers them into the last Polaris and then yells tricked ya we got Navi coming within first half of 2019.

If you look at RX 590 on its own you can see from the power it uses that it is stumbling rather then sprinting across the finish line ..

If the power usage for Navi is like the rumours suggests then it is a very good way to part with Polaris ... Let alone if the die size is small I'm sure that the OEM whom made the RX 590 had a deal on Navi to make sure that the RX 590 saw the daylight that card is hardly what you would proudly say the best that AMD has made (not even the best one from the Polaris family) ...

Could this be related somehow? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202326&ignorebbr=1

Vega 64 for $400 with a 3 game bundle and AMD giftcard...

Cleaning the shelves?

A

It is strategic :) you remember those news reports on how Nvidia is having an abundance of stock left calculating the mining craze would go on ?
It seems they do have a lot of stock and AMD is dropping the prices also due to that so it is less likely to make money of dumping those cards (if AMD is outsold by the normal ratio then it would hurt Nvidia more then AMD).

Not if you see the RX 590 as a stopgap. No one was waiting for it unlikely that OEM dug a hole for themselves buying in they knew about Navi , it is not a trick where AMD suckers them into the last Polaris and then yells tricked ya we got Navi coming within first half of 2019.

If you look at RX 590 on its own you can see from the power it uses that it is stumbling rather then sprinting across the finish line ..

If the power usage for Navi is like the rumours suggests then it is a very good way to part with Polaris ... Let alone if the die size is small I'm sure that the OEM whom made the RX 590 had a deal on Navi to make sure that the RX 590 saw the daylight that card is hardly what you would proudly say the best that AMD has made (not even the best one from the Polaris family) ...
I see it as a test card initially, just a rather large investment for only one card? Will it become the RX650 perhaps...? That might make sense, with a navi or three slotting above and below.
590 is best silicon from the Polaris family is it not? Has best clocks..

Will it become the RX650 perhaps...?

Probably wouldn't want your lower mid-range card to be drawing two to three times the power of the competition... that kills OEM sales :ROFLMAO:

[comparing to a hypothetical, though perfectly reasonable, 2050(Ti)]

Give me 2080 speed at less than nVidia's outrageous pricing and I'll happily replace my 1080Ti and TitanX

I see it as a test card initially, just a rather large investment for only one card? Will it become the RX650 perhaps...? That might make sense, with a navi or three slotting above and below.
590 is best silicon from the Polaris family is it not? Has best clocks..
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/04/18/amd_radeon_rx_580_powercolor_red_devil_golden_sample/10
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/11/15/xfx_radeon_rx_590_fatboy_oc_video_card_review/14

It reached about the same Watt as the RX 580 and provides not that much extra. I would say that Polaris performs better at the lower end. It took a year and a few months to get this performance increase(on a different nm process) and an increase which only serves to beat the GTX 1060.

All of the Navi cards are not in that segment. One below it and the 2 others well above the performance of the RX590.

It's tempting to just pick up a Vega now. But somehow I feel it makes sense to wait, or grab something used from Ebay for a quick 4K fix.
My GTX 1060 is working just fine (1080p) but the used market seems to get better by the day....

A

It's tempting to just pick up a Vega now. But somehow I feel it makes sense to wait, or grab something used from Ebay for a quick 4K fix.
My GTX 1060 is working just fine (1080p) but the used market seems to get better by the day....

A
I really wanted to wait on Navi myself and then when reference Vega 64 hit $400 I finally jumped off my 290x. I’m happy with the purchase, but at 1080p it really wasn’t necessary.

If you’re at 1080p with a 1060 I’m sure you are doing quite alright (better than my 290x)with game settings, and I’d suggest to wait. (I wish I had but no regrats)

On the other hand, if you do upgrade, there is a certain fun to tweaking Vega. Vega 56 has fun power mods or with Samsung memory you can load 64 bios to it for increased performance. Both models respond well to undervolting and overclocking and finding the right balance of pushing the core is fun.

I wanted to grab a Vega 64, but in this country it's as expensive as the 1080Ti and the 2080. Not to mention no shops here stock it as it hasn't sold very well at all. Sucks really.

I really wanted to wait on Navi myself and then when reference Vega 64 hit $400 I finally jumped off my 290x. I’m happy with the purchase, but at 1080p it really wasn’t necessary.

If you’re at 1080p with a 1060 I’m sure you are doing quite alright (better than my 290x)with game settings, and I’d suggest to wait. (I wish I had but no regrats)

On the other hand, if you do upgrade, there is a certain fun to tweaking Vega. Vega 56 has fun power mods or with Samsung memory you can load 64 bios to it for increased performance. Both models respond well to undervolting and overclocking and finding the right balance of pushing the core is fun.
Did same upgrade (DCUII 290X so no slouch) and it was a nice bump at 1440 but not totally necessary. Can try GTAV finally though, mrs is keen as hell to have a hoon on that too. Everything plays smooth as butter on 60fps locked and the card isn't even really going all out. Not even bothered undervolting it's pretty quiet and stays in the 70° range.

I wanted to grab a Vega 64, but in this country it's as expensive as the 1080Ti and the 2080. Not to mention no shops here stock it as it hasn't sold very well at all. Sucks really.
Same, it's about 800-900 USD here and pretty much OOS or used only, a friendly [H]r helped me out and took advantage of the recent sale. Used computer parts are much cheaper especially if used/tested before sending ;)

Probably wouldn't want your lower mid-range card to be drawing two to three times the power of the competition... that kills OEM sales :ROFLMAO:

[comparing to a hypothetical, though perfectly reasonable, 2050(Ti)]
LOL fair point. Didn't even think of that side, however they could just downclock it and polaris is pretty much even with Nvidia in the 10 series in that regard.
See how 7nm treats them, the process advantage might help the dumpster fire that is GCN. Okay, a bit harsh it works great on my cards but still long in the tooth. Bit like Skyrim using the Oblivion engine basically... it worked.. just.

Out of curiosity I would love to know how much the "Average" GPU buyer really cares about power consumption....

A

Out of curiosity I would love to know how much the "Average" GPU buyer really cares about power consumption....

A

Well, the 'average' GPU buyer is Dell, HP, Lenovo...

Disregarding OEMs, it's less the actual number and more what it takes to support said GPU. In the case of the class mentioned, that being a hypothetical RTX2050/RX660-ish, you can get away with using the power from the PCIe slot alone. However, the power usage required to get 'Polaris+' in the RX590 competitive with something a bit faster than a 1060Ti would put it into eight-pin range.

That changes your market.

A

It can benefit from typical problems in locations that are very hot in the summer. The OEM part is where they can cut cost on the power supply lets say compared to something from the RX 5XX range.
I thought that power was always the reason people bought Nvidia :)

It can benefit from typical problems in locations that are very hot in the summer. The OEM part is where they can cut cost on the power supply lets say compared to something from the RX 5XX range.

GTX480?

I said "Average" buyer lol. I'm guessing most don't even look at power # as long as it has a recognizable brand name/number.

A

Maybe computational power related to FPS. Heheh

I am going to wait for these cards before I upgrade the relative’s rigs from 970s. Good chance they’ll get AMD.

Maybe computational power related to FPS. Heheh

I am going to wait for these cards before I upgrade the relative’s rigs from 970s. Good chance they’ll get AMD.

Rig in sig with 970...will be upgraded. I almost bought a 1070 last year. Sigh. I've got the itch. AdoredTV made me go from a 50/50 Nvidia/AMD split to something more like 10/90. I've got a 970, a 670 (stop laughing at me: your teasing hurts. ;) ), and an R9 390, all of which could be upgraded. I have a need. I have a wallet. AMD...do right by me.

2080 speed is what you have already, so getting 2080 speeds would just be a sidegrade anyway... and you'd have to sell your 1080ti at a loss if the Radeon 3xxx can perform on par with it for less $$

Last edited:
I think the pricing rumors are a little low, but not necessarily inconceivable. I can see AMD pricing, not based on the 20xx NVIDIA series, but more on the 10xx series. It could also be that the initial pricing numbers being tossed about AMD internally are focused more on margin, rather than competitive placement. The final MSRP will be more on competitive placement, but again, I think AMD will be shooting more for performance comparison to 20xx Nvidia, at 10xxx price points. Or they don't look at Nvidia at all, and are wanting to clean the stack with Navi.

2080 speed is what you have already, so getting 2080 speeds would just be a sidegrade anyway... and you'd have to sell your 1080ti at a loss if the Radeon 3xxx can perform on par with it for less $$

I know I already have 2080 speed. I don't mind sidegrading in the least if it gets the nvidia cards out of my builds. Sell it at a loss? I don't care. I'll most likely give both nVidia cards away after replacing them and be happy to be rid of them.

I think the pricing rumors are a little low, but not necessarily inconceivable. I can see AMD pricing, not based on the 20xx NVIDIA series, but more on the 10xx series. It could also be that the initial pricing numbers being tossed about AMD internally are focused more on margin, rather than competitive placement. The final MSRP will be more on competitive placement, but again, I think AMD will be shooting more for performance comparison to 20xx Nvidia, at 10xxx price points. Or they don't look at Nvidia at all, and are wanting to clean the stack with Navi.

3000 series priced to compare to nvidia 10 series purely based upon a overpriced product line with 20 series of nvidia cards - Vega 2, if it deliverers as some may say it does, that's a different story though is it not? AMD internal talk more about staying near current market price of top nvidia card no matter the series...

It depends if Navi is lower then 200 mm2 what is keeping AMD from asking a very good price for it. It will take all the wind out of the sales of any of the Nvidia cards in the lower and mid segment plus the problem with current stock for Nvidia would make it impossible to make money on their overstocked gpu.

What is the reasoning that would keep AMD from doing this ?

I know I already have 2080 speed. I don't mind sidegrading in the least if it gets the nvidia cards out of my builds. Sell it at a loss? I don't care. I'll most likely give both nVidia cards away after replacing them and be happy to be rid of them.

I can understand that if you already have a freesync monitor or if you are looking at buying one. Otherwise it might end up costing you more money. Personally, i do not believe the $250 2080 performance. That would render everything Nvidia has as useless.

It seems that Nvidia is very nervous about trying to release more cards in a short period of time.
I do hope that Navi(price/performance) is real and if it is then I hope they release sooner then what I guessed then Q2.

I can understand that if you already have a freesync monitor or if you are looking at buying one. Otherwise it might end up costing you more money. Personally, i do not believe the $250 2080 performance. That would render everything Nvidia has as useless.

Three things...

1 - So if I don't have a FreeSync monitor or I am not thinking of buying one, how exactly is a Navi card going to cost me more money...?

2 - RTX 2080 performance was NEVER mentioned in the leak(s); RTX 2070 / GTX 1080 performance was...

3 - Yep, all Nvidia cards will totally cease to function once these Navi cards hit the shelves...!

Reactions: Auer
like this
Back