AMD Navi RX 3080 $249. Leaks & Rumors.

This thing comes out at $400+, I'm blaming you guys its not $250.

:ROFLMAO:

LOL. I honestly think if 7nm is going as they expect and they are pretty bullish on yield for these chips. Which I suspect since these will be smaller and less complicated compared to slapping HBM on die. Even at 300 I think they will be pulling 30+% profit. Or close to 50%. I mean it could still be 250 if they are pulling 30% margin. But for AMDs sake I think 300 for vega +15% performance is pretty damn legit at those power figures. I don't see Nvidia dropping rtx 2070 to 300 with the big ass die. So we shall see. Unless they are absoultely certain they will have no supply demand issue and they can pump these out at will being they will be smaller dies. It could very well be 250. But I kinda want amd to do 300 just so they can they can make more profit and put that money to good use.

it will be infuriating to all 6 people that have bought RX590's for $300~ ... also somewhat infuriating having just bought a just under $200 RX580 to me as well, if this thing drops at $250

Meh you will happily off load your rx 580 for 125 and buy this hahaha.

it will be infuriating to all 6 people that have bought RX590's for $300~ ... also somewhat infuriating having just bought a just under $200 RX580 to me as well, if this thing drops at $250

Only to the ones who don't do their research. The 590 is a hold over card. Navi isn't coming out for at least another 5-6 months.

It does seem unbelievable, but it could be an aggressive move to gain market share.

Vega was a decent card (GTX 1080 level, more than most people have) but the pricing problems at launch hurt it bad.

If this rumor is true, AMD would absolutely kill it for the mid-range (and, let's be honest, that is a huge percentage of the market).

It would be a smart move in terms of the market share and brand, and it might even be for revenue if the volume and supply is there.

To me, Vega wasn't really a pricing issue, more of a timing issue, being over a year late was a major letdown for a lot of folks since a lot of people probably upgraded already and see Vega as more of a side grade. If Vega was release within 3 months after the 1080 release, it would have competed pretty well.

LOL. I honestly think if 7nm is going as they expect and they are pretty bullish on yield for these chips. Which I suspect since these will be smaller and less complicated compared to slapping HBM on die. Even at 300 I think they will be pulling 30+% profit. Or close to 50%. I mean it could still be 250 if they are pulling 30% margin. But for AMDs sake I think 300 for vega +15% performance is pretty damn legit at those power figures. I don't see Nvidia dropping rtx 2070 to 300 with the big ass die. So we shall see. Unless they are absoultely certain they will have no supply demand issue and they can pump these out at will being they will be smaller dies. It could very well be 250. But I kinda want amd to do 300 just so they can they can make more profit and put that money to good use.
If AMD knows that Nvidia has made 20 million extra chips that are GTX 1080/1070 and cutting them down to 1060 level the RX 3080 price is killing for Nvidia more then for AMD.
This thing comes out at $400+, I'm blaming you guys its not $250.
:ROFLMAO:

Even if it was $100 more expensive on most if not all of those leaked prices then it would still be good value for money.

They may talk about it in Jan at CES, but I have a feeling we won't see these for sale until May/June/July

I don't expect them to launch these in January. But if the yields are good and they are ahead of schedule. we have heard rumors about how Navi is looking better than they originally thought. Remember these are not big chips. So AMD should be able to pump these out pretty well if they are as bullish on 7nm as they have shared this whole time. They did say they pretty much have teams working along with TSMC and partnership seems deeply engrained right now lol.

This could basically be like specs and shit in January and launch times in a few months. I am not sure about Navi but I definitely think that they will announce future availability of some zen 2 SKUs in January. Wouldn't be surprised to see zen 2 chips around late April or March.

I don't expect them to launch these in January. But if the yields are good and they are ahead of schedule. we have heard rumors about how Navi is looking better than they originally thought. Remember these are not big chips. So AMD should be able to pump these out pretty well if they are as bullish on 7nm as they have shared this whole time. They did say they pretty much have teams working along with TSMC and partnership seems deeply engrained right now lol.

This could basically be like specs and shit in January and launch times in a few months. I am not sure about Navi but I definitely think that they will announce future availability of some zen 2 SKUs in January. Wouldn't be surprised to see zen 2 chips around late April or March.

It is a double edged sword. Like Intel AMD will not say anything substantial about the process they all have to forecast shining weather and comfortable warmth. But the difference is that AMD already showed Rome.
And the pricing makes sense as well it is trying to rebuild the landscape where they have the advantage.

If you are looking for a release date look at this year around the same time. For Navi maybe a bit later if you checked the APU release date of Q3 might suggest Q2 release for Navi ?

If they are indeed announcing at CES, Q2 release seems reasonable.

And if these are real leaks, it would indicate that release date is sooner rather than later.

3080 for $249 would be perfect to replace my parent’s aging 970. Honestly if it’s higher than $300 I’d just grab a 2070. $249 would be too tempting.

3080 for $249 would be perfect to replace my parent’s aging 970. Honestly if it’s higher than $300 I’d just grab a 2070. $249 would be too tempting.

That makes no sense at all. Even at $300-350, it's still $100-150 cheaper than the cheapest 2070, and theoretically will perform at the same level. If anything, maybe this will force a revisit of Nvidia's pricing to get it more in line with where it "should" be. But there's no reason to pay the Nvidia tax.

If it comes in at $400, well, that's more in the range of pick 'em.

Basically I have the same stuff to say as has already been said.

Love it if it's true. Unlikely that it will be. Yada yada. $250 is absurd value for money. Etc etc.

Reactions: filip
like this
That makes no sense at all. Even at $300-350, it's still $100-150 cheaper than the cheapest 2070, and theoretically will perform at the same level.

While I get the price/value point, that's also not all there is. I'd happily get the $250 card, but if the $200 is still good enough for ultrawide 1080p gamin AND it can run cooler/more silent while using enough less power... that's a very respectable combo. I'm on a 3GB GTX 1060 currently, and it's super tiny, super quiet, only spins up fans when stressing it in games. I'd have a hard time going to a super powerful card that consumes a bunch of energy and thus needs fans on much more often.

This one guy is trolling AMD on reddiitt all over bitching about AMD only giving 8gb of ram in 2019. Hahaha. I sometimes laugh at people's insanity. He ain't complaining about NVidia putting 8gb gddr6 on 2070 and 2080 but he sure is bitching about how its pathetic AMD will do it on a midrange card wit RX 3080 and he believes the leaks are all fake and even Kyle is wrong for saying there is a lot of truth to adoredtv video. I don't thnk he knows who kyle is.

This one guy is trolling AMD on reddiitt all over bitching about AMD only giving 8gb of ram in 2019. Hahaha. I sometimes laugh at people's insanity. He ain't complaining about NVidia putting 8gb gddr6 on 2070 and 2080 but he sure is bitching about how its pathetic AMD will do it on a midrange card wit RX 3080 and he believes the leaks are all fake and even Kyle is wrong for saying there is a lot of truth to adoredtv video. I don't thnk he knows who kyle is.

You haven't seen hardware unboxed video. That is a good laugh they start of that the price is all wrong because it is not positioned well enough. Which reminded me of the conversation I had with drescherjm about the price for Threadripper and we were saying that around $1500 made sense or a bit higher then that but not $2000 because that was to close to what Intel had and guess where Threadripper came in at :) .

There are so many people that do not have a clue and reddit is not the only place :)

That makes no sense at all. Even at $300-350, it's still $100-150 cheaper than the cheapest 2070, and theoretically will perform at the same level. If anything, maybe this will force a revisit of Nvidia's pricing to get it more in line with where it "should" be. But there's no reason to pay the Nvidia tax.

If it comes in at $400, well, that's more in the range of pick 'em.

Thinking about it. I have been very, very disappointed so far with the adoption rate of dlss (nothing) and rt (bfv) so far.

If it’s only one or two more rtx games 6 months from now I would bite on the 3080 at $400.

Last edited:
Thinking about it. I have been very, very disappointed so far with the adoption rate of dlss (nothing) and rt (bfv) so far.

If it’s only one or two more rtx games 6 months from now I would bite on the 3080 at $400.

It is one thing to promote features which cripple competitors cards it is another to implement features to make your cards work as advertised.

NVIDIA got hurt in the market a short time ago due to unsold stock. The 'rumor' of these AMD GPUs may make people wait a bit, possibly hurting NVIDIA further. Why rush in and get a 2070/2080 at such extraordinary prices, when around the corner a better value will appear? Any return on the investment of buying a 2070/2080? No. It's just for gaming. Playing games doesn't bring in the money.

Any games that absolutely need a 20xx series chip? Ray tracing at the moment is a neat parlor trick that hasn't been refined and isn't widespread. Though I wonder if NVIDIA has 2070/2080 cards in the GTX form, without the ray tracing processors, waiting on the side.

AMD is going to make NVIDIA bleed. There was already talk that NVIDIA would fall under $100 a share. Seems like the ingredients are coming together for such a thing.

There should be no fanboy mentality here. Ultimately the consumer (gamer) isn't enough to hold these companies (AMD, NVIDIA, Intel) up economically. These companies have shareholders who expect profits, profits, and more profits. Are people getting raises in the workplace? No. The cost of living keeps going up and up. These companies will conclude that 'gaming as a service' is the future. Hardware is too expensive for the consumer, so pay a small monthly fee to use the processing power over the cloud. With 5G and/or Internet 2, this may become the reality.

Makes no sense from any point of view. Especially business point of view.
If 3080 trades blows with 2070 which is like $500, then why is the price of 3080 set at $250 and not around $400? Being $100 cheaper it will still sell like hotcakes. This screams fake.

Factor in 7nm Vega 56 and Vega 64 replacement to take upper price points

Just a few weeks ago there were sites/youtubers claiming that the RX590 would perform like a GTX1070. So I take this as a mountain sized "grain" of salt.

Factor in 7nm Vega 56 and Vega 64 replacement to take upper price points
No it is to expensive :) for consumers Navi is the only card we will see.
Just a few weeks ago there were sites/youtubers claiming that the RX590 would perform like a GTX1070. So I take this as a mountain sized "grain" of salt.
I warned people not to get to carried away about this Polaris (RX 590). It is a mixed bag at some times , people have little insight into what works with a gpu and what does not.
If something is broken with a gpu it can not be fixed you can mitigate certain aspects but nothing short of a miracle would have made Polaris good.

No it is to expensive :) for consumers Navi is the only card we will see.

I warned people not to get to carried away about this Polaris (RX 590). It is a mixed bag at some times , people have little insight into what works with a gpu and what does not.
If something is broken with a gpu it can not be fixed you can mitigate certain aspects but nothing short of a miracle would have made Polaris good.
-------

Titan RTX and 2080 Ti is expensive too...

So far all the rumors point to no 7nm Vega's for the general public. Machine learning only. Time will tell though.

Jim/AdoredTV stated in his leak vid that his source(s) indicate that Navi's performance has pleased AMD enough to scrap the idea of bringing 7nm Vega GPUs to the consumer/gaming space.

Which makes sense given both the much larger die size and reported production cost of Vega/HBM versus the Navi/GDDR6 and these rumored Navi10+12 performance and price levels.

Last edited:
At the very least, this should continue to hurt the RTX line as people get even more comfortable holding on to GTX 10x0 cards waiting to "see what happens". I know I would, though I actually just bought a 1000 series so for me it was a given.

Jim/AdoredTV stated in his leak vid that his source(s) indicate that Navi's performance has pleased AMD enough to scrap the idea of bringing 7nm Vega GPUs to the consumer/gaming space.

Which makes sense given both the much larger die size and reported production cost of Vega/HBM versus the Navi/GDDR6 and these rumored Navi10+12 performance and price levels.

RX Vega 64 matches or even slightly beats RTX 2070 - RX 3080 looks to be slightly cheaper (some VEGA 64 selling $300/$400's currently) than Vega 64, and with regards to performance about the same. Even with the added cost(s), if 7nm Vega was 2 or even 3 times the cost, there's still room for good margin while selling at or lower than nVidia - I don't see Lisa Su leaving that money on the table. She certainly didn't play conservative when it came to top end cpu maket/threadripper...

Something seems off too, if RX 3080 is 15% or more faster than RX Vega 64, that's up in 2080 range, and if that's so, no way will AMD peddle that card for so little $$$ - guess there's the whole Ray Tracing factor and if that's a deal breaker at the consumer level or not.

2070 v vega 64 v rx 590 (and others).
https://www.techspot.com/review/1747-amd-radeon-rx-590/

Last edited:
Reactions: Auer
like this
AMD needs to do something crazy at this point just to stay in the game. They can't release with Nvidia pricing (or even slightly less) and expect that to move the needle. It's their time to go bold.

AMD needs to do something crazy at this point just to stay in the game. They can't release with Nvidia pricing (or even slightly less) and expect that to move the needle. It's their time to go bold.

I think they did the right thing with moving people around. Just have to be patient the only thing that is not compatible with instant gratification :)
-------

Titan RTX and 2080 Ti is expensive too...
That might seem obvious but AMD has a very tough time selling high end consumer gpu Nvidia dominates the market.

RX 3080 looks to be slightly cheaper

Cheaper for AMD to produce per card including the GPU die + RAM, not what the Vega(s) are currently selling for.

For example, it has long been rumored that it's been costing AMD $100+ for each Vega card produced for the HBM stacks alone, not including the cost of the GPU die.

Contrast that [rumored] cost with the rumored Navi cards, and it's almost a certainty that AMD can produce these RX 3070+3080 cards for less per card [GPU die + GDDR6] than it costs them [AMD] per card for the HBM on each current Vega card.

Last edited:
:)

That might seem obvious but AMD has a very tough time selling high end consumer gpu Nvidia dominates the market.

------

Good point... though when Titan V launched at $3k, for me personally, that was a no go - I stopped at Titan Xp. That's just too much - Now we have Titan RTX at $2.5k which I dunno know, its over $2k and that was my line in the sand - I'm not certain I'll give in or not... The Ti and Titan crowd, you make a great point, I'm not so certain many of us would move on AMD product (if it was just status quo), almost a shame.

This is a stupid post. 99.9% of consumers aren't spending $1300 on a GPU, so AMD releasing cards in the $150-300 price range where the money is made is very relevant.

Halo cards help sales but they're not what keeps companies afloat.

It's only a stupid post when you consider only the midrange perspective, which of course is what this card is after.

But he does have a point - for the few who can afford it, AMD doesn't really have a highend offering. :(

While people here are more often on the top-end, I don't feel like there are a lot of average consumers spending $1,000+ on a video card.

Look at Steam stats, the vast majority of gamers are on a GTX 1060 or less. This is where the volume market is.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

While it would be nice if AMD could release something that would blow Nvidia out the water, it's more likely at this point they could make moves in the mid-range market on price.

Last edited:
While people here are more often on the top-end, I don't feel like there are a lot of average consumers spending $1,000+ on a video card.

Look at Steam stats, the vast majority of gamers are on a GTX 1060 or less. This is were the volume market is.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

While it would be nice if AMD could release something that would blow Nvidia out the water, it's more likely at this point they could make moves in the mid-range market on price.

You're absolutely right. I'm just saying that as an admitted AMD "fanboi" (who owns an Nvidia card for... reasons), I would love to see them truly offer up a highend competing product. Until then, we'll continue seeing $1200 "not really our flagship" cards.

EDIT - I think the last time we actually saw this truly happen was Radeon X1900XTX. That thing pretty much wiped the floor with any of the GeForce GTX-7900 series cards.

You're absolutely right. I'm just saying that as an admitted AMD "fanboi" (who owns an Nvidia card for... reasons), I would love to see them truly offer up a highend competing product. Until then, we'll continue seeing $1200 "not really our flagship" cards.

EDIT - I think the last time we actually saw this truly happen was Radeon X1900XTX. That thing pretty much wiped the floor with any of the GeForce GTX-7900 series cards.

The 4K series did the same thing to the 280, while running cooler and priced at the slower 260~275 price point. Nvidia was forced to drop the price of the 280 and they even offered a small refund to 280 owners.

I would love to see AMD get back North of 40% of the gaming market (when measured with *new* card shipments). I feel AMD has quite a bit of older cards still out there. It would force Nvidia to compete a bit better on things that matter (other then performance). Nvidia has always claimed they are a premium brand, but a solid execution with Navi could force them to move down a few steps, which I think would be great for consumers.

The more you buy the more you save? At these prices maybe people may be willing to buy 2. They can put 2 or 3 (One for each eye, and the game itself for VR) on one pci board. 2 of these should beat one Nvidia 2080 RTX. These Next gen SLI (Nvlink)/Crossfire (Infinity Fabric) parts are packing alot of bandwidth. So maybe the tech is there. I mean AMD's next gen crossfire is the ONE place that they beat Nvidia. 100gb/s for nvlink, and 200gb/s for Infinity Fabric. Maybe they are planing to make that their advantage with pricing low enough to make customer want another one...then another one :p

Last edited:
I would still wait until Navi 20 to make that decision. If playstation 5 uses more then 1 Navi chiplet that might workout well.

lostinseganet I get that you're joking, but for $250 each, running Crossfire with 2 of them would be an attractive option for high performance.

I'm using CF Vega 64 and it gets me to over 60 fps at 4K ultra settings on supported games. For $500, and better performance than that, seems like a good deal.

lostinseganet I get that you're joking, but for $250 each, running Crossfire with 2 of them would be an attractive option for high performance.

I'm using CF Vega 64 and it gets me to over 60 fps at 4K ultra settings on supported games. For $500, and better performance than that, seems like a good deal.
It's all fun, and games.... until we see the benchmarks :)

Back