AMD might detail new RDNA2 graphics card on March 5

You could dual boot and use Windows exclusively for gaming and nothing else.

Yech, very bad idea. Just have at least two equivalent computer builds, use one for Linux and one for Windows 10. :) Dual booting is so early 2000's, especially with pass through abilities being available, nowadays.

changing OS's so hardware functions is no more valid than changing hardware so it functions in a given OS.

I understand though if logic is hard to follow after having to interact with your computer only thru microsoft's software. Maybe reboot and see if that fixes the understanding?

changing OS's so hardware functions is no more valid than changing hardware so it functions in a given OS.

I understand though if logic is hard to follow after having to interact with your computer only thru microsoft's software. Maybe reboot and see if that fixes the understanding?

This is not rocket science...it the (boring) old *nix tune of:
"X does not support my stance on open-tardyness, so I will hinder my own performance...but I will blame the faster hardware, despite it being ME that is the problem!"

The *nix crowd...a minority that makes far to much noise compared to their numbers.
When is the next "this is the year of Linux"?

So much noise...so little meaning.

My computer does more than just push pixels so my hardware selection reflects that. If i was building a super expensive single purpose console, then that argument may be valid.

Though, I also wouldn't buy an intel system just because it can benchmark faster in certain situations that I may even care about in particular. Because of other factors such as platform longevity, the infinite exploits they're susceptible to and because if your only power as a consumer is your wallet, then I'd rather give that to a company that isn't currently bending their consumers over and ripping them off because they can. The same is easily true for why one would not choose nvidia even if it's faster on some OS's.

My computer does more than just push pixels so my hardware selection reflects that. If i was building a super expensive single purpose console, then that argument may be valid.

Though, I also wouldn't buy an intel system just because it can benchmark faster in certain situations that I may even care about in particular. Because of other factors such as platform longevity, the infinite exploits they're susceptible to and because if your only power as a consumer is your wallet, then I'd rather give that to a company that isn't currently bending their consumers over and ripping them off because they can. The same is easily true for why one would not choose nvidia even if it's faster on some OS's.

Like I said, YOU made a deliberate choice...stop blaming the world for YOUR choice...ffs...*nix crowd never change...

who's blaming the world?

I'm blaming nvidia for a specific choice they're making that they have the option to not make as shown by amd and intel (the other 2/3 of the pc graphics manufacturers). But go ahead, continue with your bs troll responses.

Like I said, YOU made a deliberate choice...stop blaming the world for YOUR choice...ffs...*nix crowd never change...
It is not always one or the other, absolute this or that. I game fine on Linux, using Steam, the AMD open source drivers are very stable. It is not even as if there is only a handful of older games you can only play. Hundreds of games if not thousands play great. Valve worked some magic combined with AMD software engineers with the Linux community (which I unfortunately linked mentally to a commune). Personally this I think is my 5th time around with Linux, everytime before it came to a point - why bother, this time has been very different. Now some probably didn't know some of the Native Linux Games, like Shadow Of The Tomb Raider play better on Linux than Windows.

Logic doesn't work well with the *nix crowd...trust me.

User uses *nix.

AMD drivers are better than Nvidia drivers for *nix.

User chooses AMD for better *nix experience

Seems logical to me.

Seems like the whole 5900 XT / 5950 XT thing has dropped to the wayside, we are now waiting on the 6000-series cards for RDNA2 goodness...?

Come on Liquid-Cooled 6950 XT...! ;^p

User uses *nix.

AMD drivers are better than Nvidia drivers for *nix.

User chooses AMD for better *nix experience

Seems logical to me.
For Linux Gaming in Linux Mint 19.3: AMD hardware Open source driver:
Made Linux Mint Flash Drive, It loaded Linux Mint on system, It updated the OS as needed, Used Software manager to download Steam, in Steam, installed games, allowed Proton to configure all my steam games that are not native -> Play favorite game. No Windows OS has been that easy, not even close. Not to say you won't have some Windows only games not play well or all just that that seems to be rare. This link shows games that Proton supports and feedback:

https://www.protondb.com/explore

Below is an older video running down gaming on Linux which for Ubuntu and Offspring seems to have corrected issues stated, plus some talk of distributions that automatically support the most recent proprietary drivers from AMD and Nvidia:

Back