AMD "Matisse 2" Zen 2 Refresh Rumor Thread

NobleX13

Supreme [H]ardness
According to "my dude", a refresh is coming in a couple months from AMD in order to make Intel's Comet Lake lineup look even more unappealing than it already does.

Supposedly, we are going to see some six and eight-core parts with higher clock speeds on the existing Zen 2 architecture later this summer, even though Zen 3 products are going to launch later this year. (October, per the aforementioned video)

What do you guys think of this? Personally, I think this is a pretty plausible rumor. It would cost AMD very little in terms of capitol investment to make this happen, and ever-improving 7nm yields at TSMC would make it easy to bin chips up to a higher frequency without having to change the chiplets themselves from an architectural standpoint.

I will also say that if we do see this come to fruition, this bodes extremely well for the performance of Zen 3. If AMD is willing to release faster clocked versions of their existing Zen 2 SKUs, then they must be very confident in the performance gains presented by the Zen 3 architecture and 5nm TSMC node shrink. Otherwise, they would be "competing against themselves".

Still no word right now on the specifics. I would expect something like a "Ryzen 5 3650X or "Ryzen 7 3820X" or something like that.

would be delighted if they do, even if that only provides the excuse to trim the price on the existing 8/12 core cpu's...

Well,.the APU is set to release in July time frame... Zen 3 comes out later this year, so the window of opportunity for a launch in between is rather narrow. I could see if they are getting good yields to add a sku or two in there though. I figured with the 3300x being so close to the 3600 it may make some sense really.

Well,.the APU is set to release in July time frame... Zen 3 comes out later this year, so the window of opportunity for a launch in between is rather narrow. I could see if they are getting good yields to add a sku or two in there though. I figured with the 3300x being so close to the 3600 it may make some sense really.

Yeah. We'll see what actually materializes. Love the rumor mill. And I agree, the 3300X is pretty damn close to the 3600 in terms of overall performance. Definitely hard to justify the extra $40 plus for the six-core part with Zen 3 just around the corner.

I am personally using a Ryzen 5 1600 AE at 3.9GHz right now. I want to upgrade for better single-threaded performance, but I'm also waiting for Zen 3 to spend $300+ on a new CPU.

Yeah. We'll see what actually materializes. Love the rumor mill. And I agree, the 3300X is pretty damn close to the 3600 in terms of overall performance. Definitely hard to justify the extra $40 plus for the six-core part with Zen 3 just around the corner.

I am personally using a Ryzen 5 1600 AE at 3.9GHz right now. I want to upgrade for better single-threaded performance, but I'm also waiting for Zen 3 to spend $300+ on a new CPU.
I'm on a 1600 as well, was hoping my b450 would support zen3, but not looking good, so we'll see. May get the 3300x for my son and get a b550 with 4600(x) when it comes and pass his 6600k down to replace my daughter's Pentium. He doesn't care for itx though, so we'll see.
Maybe a good time to replace my dated server and use the 1600 to that, just get a case with a few spots for Heads, just not sure my MB would boot with no GPU to work as a server (I need the PCIe for an add on card). AMD really wrenching my plans if I can use my existing MB, lol. I would prefer to just buy 2 atx boards one for my son and one for my servers but then I would have to buy yet another for my desktop (I want to stay itx). Either way, I still would have bought my current rig as I got a great deal on it.

With new Zen cores just around the corner it makes no sense for AMD to refresh the current lineup unless they are rebadging and lowering prices. I'm not sure they want to continue using their wafer budget for last years cpu's.

Back