AMD Mantle Performance Preview in Battlefield 4 @ [H]

Which is interesting, since DICE has posted CFX results with Mantle. They must have a different build of the driver?

Apparently. I haven't seen a single 290 or 290X user get crossfire working between here and OCN. Not in a stable fashion.

Apparently. I haven't seen a single 290 or 290X user get crossfire working between here and OCN. Not in a stable fashion.
Neither have I, I'm just pointing it out. CF doesn't work for me in BF4 or in other games either. CF should show some excellent gains, reportedly.

Crossfire is broken in this release with 290 cards. It isn't possible to test. You may want to actually read the numerous documentations, user experiences, AMD's known issues list for this beta, or the article itself that brushes on this fact.

Stop spreading lies, Crossfire works and has been tested by other sites.

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.ph...te-ergebnisse-im-kampf-mantle-vs-directx.html
cVkQ00j.jpg
6tsnhK2.jpg

http://www.overclock.net/t/1429303/amd-mantle-discussion-thread/1350#post_21708645

OK I disabled ULPS and check this.

DX11 - Shangie - looking at tower from the sea - 64 man server = 65fps.

MANTLE - same location and conditions = 143fps.

My CPU bottleneck is removed! My 290x's are now scaling perfectly!

W00t!!!!

Last edited:

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.ph...te-ergebnisse-im-kampf-mantle-vs-directx.html
0PSqHCY.jpg
It's definitely not a lie. From AMD's own release notes:

Intermittent stuttering or stability issues may occur when utilizing Mantle with AMD CrossFire™ technology in BattleField 4™ - AMD recommends using the DirectX code path when playing Battlefield 4 with multiple GPUs. A future AMD Catalyst release will resolve these issues
I personally haven't been able to get CrossFire working in BF4 in either Mantle or DX11 renderers with 14.1. I get negative scaling (performance is worse with CF on than off).

How obtuse are you being right now? If you think everyone has crossfire working on their 290/290X cards, you're either blind or spreading lies yourself. Go read the user experiences both here and at OCN. So one site got it working. Maybe they have a different driver build. I DONT KNOW. I would point out that this is listed in AMD's known issues, and that I personally haven't seen a single person here or at OCN that has gotten 290 crossfire working. So don't tell me anything about spreading lies when AMD's own documentation lists crossfire as an issue, and there isn't a single crossfire 290/290X user here, that i've seen, that has gotten it working. I feel like you're intentionally being obtuse here. There are also websites that could not get crossfire working on 290 cards.

Perhaps that website has a different build, or they got lucky, or maybe they're "spreading lies" as you put it, since most people can't get it to work. I don't know. but this is in AMD's own documentation. In any case, thanks for the link, since I haven't seen any "real" crossfire results up to this point.

In any case, like I said, it sounds like DICE had a working crossfire build last week so maybe 290X crossfire users will have a fix coming soon.

you said you havent seen a single one.

He showed you 3, i have personally seen many more.

stop thread crapping and go back to the nvidia forums.

reported.

Last edited:
Intermittent stuttering or stability issues may occur. MAY.

Obviously not everyone is working, nor is everyone broken.

Stinks for those people that cant get it working, but its an early beta. They will get it fixed.

By all standard accounts a developer would have a working situation before the consumer. RIGHT!!! They could also share this working code with whomever they wish and under a disclosure agreement whom they shared it with may or may not be able to reveal that it is code that is not available to the general consumer.

How many times have driver been released that have fixed a problem but broken something else OR a supposed fix was taken out prior to the release because it was not where the company wanted it to be. For me it shows that they are working on a viable solution for the mainstream. Any new technology takes babysteps before it is mature. Just look how far surround gaming has come from the early days. Patience people, patience

By all standard accounts a developer would have a working situation before the consumer. RIGHT!!! They could also share this working code with whomever they wish and under a disclosure agreement whom they shared it with may or may not be able to reveal that it is code that is not available to the general consumer.

How many times have driver been released that have fixed a problem but broken something else OR a supposed fix was taken out prior to the release because it was not where the company wanted it to be. For me it shows that they are working on a viable solution for the mainstream. Any new technology takes babysteps before it is mature. Just look how far surround gaming has come from the early days. Patience people, patience
I'm not particularly impatient about Mantle. It's a beta and I'm not even playing much BF4 right now. I just pointed out that many people, including myself, have had issues with getting CF functional in Mantle. I'm surprised that one website got it working, since I tried a few different things, although I didn't go so far as to turn off ULPS or other driver features. Guess we'll see what comes out in the next few weeks.

Edit: Wow, this is more impressive to me than the raw frame rate numbers. I can't wait to get this working.

BF4-FrameTime-Crossfire1.png

many more than one have got it working.

And for many of us who actually have 290x in CFX, 14.1 doesn't work, period - not in mantle or directx. Do you think we're lying or something? You seem to be deliberately minimizing the issue.

i am not trying to minimize anything.

I am directly refuting xoleras' hyperbolic assertion that its completly broken and no one has got it working.

Im sorry you are having issues

Lorien has posted a nice step by step to try:

Lorien 2[H]4U, 9.5 Years

Quick guide to get Mantle Crossfire working:

- Download DDU: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379505
- Reboot/Start Windows in Safe mode, and use DDU to uninstall the previous AMD drivers.
- Reboot to Windows in normal mode.
- Install 14.1 driver (Run as Administrator)
- Reboot
- Delete all the folders in %user%/documents/battlefield 4
- Enable Crossfire in CCC (It also helps to disable ULPS).
- Start BF4 in Test range, and enable Mantle.
- Exit the game, and restart again in Test range.
- At this point you can change any graphics settings. Use resolution scale at least 125%
- Make sure Vsync is disabled
- If you want to make ANY changes to your graphics settings only do them in Test range do not do it while in game/match.
- Enjoy!

When something is not supported in a driver that does not mean NO ONE can get it to work. It means that it does not work to the satisfaction of the company delivering the driver. Imagine all of the contingencies a driver has to deal with. That is why MAC's seem to work better out of the box, they have fewer scenarios to deal with than all the build it yourself boxes in the PC world. Look at the number of different motherboards and add-in cards that have drivers and irq, etc that have to be navigated around. Like it or not I look at this (mantle in 14.1) as a public beta. Getting it out before the end of January to keep a promise. Therefore not everything has been signed off on.

Damn, good information. Wish I had an AMD card laying around to test it out!

I can assure you he is not lying. I have 290s in crossfire and not only was my entire system crashing when attempting to play under mantle,my directx performance was, without exaggeration, 30% of what I usually get. I rolled back to 13.12, and boom, my performance is back to normal. I attempted all sorts of troubleshooting, and nothing did me any good until I rolled back to 13.12

This thread brings to my mind the special type of fanboy, the CONVERT. This is the guy that used one brand for years then converted to the competitor brand. The zeal is strong in the CONVERT.

I can assure you he is not lying. I have 290s in crossfire and not only was my entire system crashing when attempting to play under mantle,my directx performance was, without exaggeration, 30% of what I usually get. I rolled back to 13.12, and boom, my performance is back to normal. I attempted all sorts of troubleshooting, and nothing did me any good until I rolled back to 13.12

The lying is with respect to xoleras' assertion that its broken for everyone wich is flat out untrue.

No one is implying it works in every case.

This thread brings to my mind the special type of fanboy, the CONVERT. This is the guy that used one brand for years then converted to the competitor brand. The zeal is strong in the CONVERT.

theres a lot of FUD in here, to which user(s) do you refer?

if u go by that logic, because some users aren't able to play bf4 cause it keeps crashing on launch/map load means that no one is playing bf4 on mantle. :rolleyes:

So let me get this straight, at 2560x1440 with one card it is better to play on a GYSNC enabled moniter ( Asus one arriving shortly ) to keep games running smooth but on A 290 it is under 60fps with mantle and not as fluid unless lowering image quality settings such as AA?

So let me get this straight, at 2560x1440 with one card it is better to play on a GYSNC enabled moniter ( Asus one arriving shortly ) to keep games running smooth but on A 290 it is under 60fps with mantle and not as fluid unless lowering image quality settings such as AA?
Those are two completely different technologies. A 290 can't use GSYNC anyways because GSYNC is only supported on NVIDIA hardware.

lol I can see it now, new games come out, WOOT cant wait! 3 months later finally new driver I can play it now! oh damn got to wait on Mantel now.....2 months later WOOT Mantel updated ready to play my new 5 month old game! Crap 20-30fps what the hell, oh crap no CF support yet....... No thanks AMD!

lol I can see it now, new games come out, WOOT cant wait! 3 months later finally new driver I can play it now! oh damn got to wait on Mantel now.....2 months later WOOT Mantel updated ready to play my new 5 month old game! Crap 20-30fps what the hell, oh crap no CF support yet....... No thanks AMD!

Ok...c ya.

Those are two completely different technologies. A 290 can't use GSYNC anyways because GSYNC is only supported on NVIDIA hardware.

And you pay $200 for that privilege with proprietary hardware, IF you have the right monitor.

What I'm getting at is best gameplay experience at 2560x1440, even in non mantle games Gsync looks way more beneficial to gaming on a Nvidia cards then Mantle in a few games. I'm more excited about Gsync more then ever. I still have my secondary Rig with 2 7970s and Bf4 is a Hot mess. Seems like I've been waiting since the launch for Amd to get it right.

G-sync seems great. But it currently demands specific monitors and a $200 piece of hardware that is DIY installation.

Mantle is free, supports a wider range of hardware (a couple of monitors VS. a range of videocards), and is also a different type of tech/focus.

The two things aren't comparable. Even as a bullet point for either side.

It is funny how some people can not accept the truth of a situation even though it slaps them in the face and they then begin grasping at thin air to attempt to make a point that escapes everybody except themselves, I guess. "C YA" was a good statement because no matter what was said they were not going to "C IT"

It can work if you have certain equipment, it won't if you do not. It is NOT officially supported at this time. In taking a look at the systems that DO WORK, they are more similar than the ones that probably do not work. They are also most likely clean builds of the OS. "WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT?"

I wonder if the performance % would increase with an AMD CPU? AMD CPUs certainly need more help than a top end Intel CPU.

You can play Battlefield 4 on AMD hardware right now, with existing drivers (13.12 works fine) in Direct3D, with generally better performance than on equivalent NVIDIA parts. I really don't see the issue here.

Crossfire is broken in this release with 290 cards. It isn't possible to test. You may want to actually read the numerous documentations, user experiences, AMD's known issues list for this beta, or the article itself that brushes on this fact.

Funny/Odd

Considering I spent last night playing Battlefield 4 using Mantle and two Radeon R9 290x's in Crossfire without a hitch.

Err... wha???? :confused:

I wonder if the performance % would increase with an AMD CPU? AMD CPUs certainly need more help than a top end Intel CPU.
Yes, it helps a lot in situations where the CPU is comparatively much slower than the GPU. It shows a pretty big benefit in APUs and other slower AMD parts. Probably not as much with the FX-8350.

i am not trying to minimize anything.

I am directly refuting xoleras' hyperbolic assertion that its completly broken and no one has got it working.

Im sorry you are having issues

Lorien has posted a nice step by step to try:

Lorien 2[H]4U, 9.5 Years

Quick guide to get Mantle Crossfire working:

- Download DDU: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379505
- Reboot/Start Windows in Safe mode, and use DDU to uninstall the previous AMD drivers.
- Reboot to Windows in normal mode.
- Install 14.1 driver (Run as Administrator)
- Reboot
- Delete all the folders in %user%/documents/battlefield 4
- Enable Crossfire in CCC (It also helps to disable ULPS).
- Start BF4 in Test range, and enable Mantle.
- Exit the game, and restart again in Test range.
- At this point you can change any graphics settings. Use resolution scale at least 125%
- Make sure Vsync is disabled
- If you want to make ANY changes to your graphics settings only do them in Test range do not do it while in game/match.
- Enjoy!

By the way my info is an amalgamation of what the editors of the websites that got Xfire working did plus the steps of other users who reported Xfire working for them. This is what Joel from Extremetech shared with me:
aJGGVgr.jpg

Then I contacted others to nail down the cause of that variation, hence the steps about enabling Mantle and making changes to the graphics settings only while in the Test range level.

Unlike others, who are happy to spend their time spewing blanket criticisms and negativity because they have an axe to grind and fits their agenda, I'm more interested in going the extra mile to HELP the community.

Back