AMD launches Zen+ 12nm Ryzen and X470 motherboards

CPCHardware: i7 7700k is 6% faster in games than i7 6700k

CPCHardware: R7 2700X is 3% faster in games than R7 1800X

I don't think the a320 that they use even has XFR which would make for a huge ST performance difference. KBL and Ryzen+ are probably similar in performance advantages.

CPCHardware: i7 7700k is 6% faster in games than i7 6700k

CPCHardware: R7 2700X is 3% faster in games than R7 1800X

What about for tasks that aren't games since games aren't the only thing to get a computer for? Also if you really want to impact gaming performance, the CPU is the second or third thing to change considering the overall difference between the highest and lowest price Intel CPU and the Highest and lowest price AMD CPU in games is largely inconsequential. The GPU is always most important and has the most impact in frames per second scores anyway. Also they tested this on a potentially performance limiting motherboard, (I know, XFR is some sort of AMD mandated evil overclock or something and must be stomped into the ground) so I have to wonder on what the scores are like on a sensible motherboard for the product.

I don't think the a320 that they use even has XFR which would make for a huge ST performance difference. KBL and Ryzen+ are probably similar in performance advantages.

A320 supports XFR 2. This is in the slides that were leaked days ago.

The whole review looks rather 'Canarded'. They day 14% performance increase over the 1800x, but the graph shows less.

As a side note, an overclocked 1800x will often lose to a stock 1800x in ST scenarios due to XFR being disabled.

A320 supports XFR 2. This is in the slides that were leaked days ago.

I might be confusing XFR with various precision boost, but there is no way the a320 will maximize stock protocols of Ryzen+ like the x470 or b450.

The whole review looks rather 'Canarded'. They day 14% performance increase over the 1800x, but the graph shows less.

As a side note, an overclocked 1800x will often lose to a stock 1800x in ST scenarios due to XFR being disabled.

Some sites as videocardz are having trouble with the math of percentages. 175% is only a 8% faster than 161%, not 14% faster. The graph is correct.

You cannot do 175% - 161%, you have to do 175/161

I might be confusing XFR with various precision boost, but there is no way the a320 will maximize stock protocols of Ryzen+ like the x470 or b450.

The new Precission boost overdrive requires 400 series mobos. But what have been I saying since past year? What full performance would be only possible on new 400-series mobos? Funny that some people tried to crush me for saying that!

In any case overclocking in france esitmates a X470 mobo would add only 1--2% performance to Canard review results.

Ce qui implique que les CPU en question avaient leur Precision Boost désactivé, cette technologie n’étant que sur les cartes série 400. Cela ne change pas beaucoup les performances, 1 à 2% grand maximum, et ne change pas le ratio perf/conso en demi-teinte.

This implies that the CPUs in question had their Precision Boost [Overdrive] disabled, this technology being only on the 400 series motherboards. This does not change much the performances, 1 to 2% as top maximum, and does not change the ratio perf / consumption a bit.

Yeah, gamers as whole are often bad at math.

Guru3D is making the same mistake. And since Guru3D wrongly computes performance, they also get wrong efficiency and are claiming that efficiency has improved a bit when it is just the contrary. Efficiency is worse in this '12nm' series.

It is particularly worse in the 2600X case. The 2600X is nearly 9% faster than 1600X on applications, but consumes 20% more power.

What I want to know is why CanardPC is testing the processors on an A320 motherboard.

...too cheap to buy an X370 motherboard for testing?

What I want to know is why CanardPC is testing the processors on an A320 motherboard.

...too cheap to buy an X370 motherboard for testing?

I think they were worried about false MCE-like presets in the early review bioses. Gigabyte did this in their F2 review bios of the CFL, which had MCE on by default with no option of even disabling it.

It' a weird game that MB manufactures have been playing lately to make their motherboards look faster.

I think they were worried about false MCE-like presets in the early review bioses. Gigabyte did this in their F2 review bios of the CFL, which had MCE on by default with no option of even disabling it.

CPC Hardware explained before publication why are using A320 instead X370/X470: To avoid the omnipresent cheats in the X370/X470's BIOS ("Pour éviter les cheats à la con omniprésents dans les BIOS des X370/X470").

The overclockingmadeinfrance magazine also mentions that using a 400-series mobo wouldn't really change the performance or efficiency results, performance would change only 1 or 2% top maximum ("Cela ne change pas beaucoup les performances, 1 à 2% grand maximum").

It's CanardPC their results rarely reflect reality, also using translate on a tech site sucks. One of the main reasons I came here so many years ago to the [H] was that they did reviews that actually reflected reality.

CPC Hardware explained before publication why are using A320 instead X370/X470: To avoid the omnipresent cheats in the X370/X470's BIOS ("Pour éviter les cheats à la con omniprésents dans les BIOS des X370/X470").

The overclockingmadeinfrance magazine also mentions that using a 400-series mobo wouldn't really change the performance or efficiency results, performance would change only 1 or 2% top maximum ("Cela ne change pas beaucoup les performances, 1 à 2% grand maximum").

Was Core i7-7700K also tested using the cheapest H110 motherboard that CanardPC can find?

How would they know since they never tested it? So they must be just guessing, wonder how much more guessing is done in their reviews.

However, non-tech sites as Forges are obtaining the correct percentages.

Last edited:
So, is there going to be an announcement (for Ryzen 2nd gen) soon or is AMD waiting until the last second, hoping not to disrupt sales of Ryzen 1st gen?

Wait what? so a budget board with less chokes and VRM's which are also lower quality is not going to make a difference, yet you sit here and tell me with a straight face it was okay to bench a 8700K using a board that is 7.5K in my country with MCE. on a A320 basically all the benefits of a X chip are going to be negated, no overclocks, no turbo states including XFR and 2.0 stages and you are going to have Controller issues.

A320's will give a fair baseline but it is going to come at the cost of a lot of performance. I have been in the testing environment and motherboards are not created equally.

Not according to CPC-Hardware.

i7 7700k: 66W

R7-1800X: 129.4W

R7-2700X: 142.6W

What state? in Speed step idle Intel aggressively throttles to 800mhz which is why our testings turn off all intel throttles and we go for EPS12V readings, the result is doubling the idle readings.

I'm waiting for the [H] review anyway. zOMG it's a few percent more/less efficient! Yeah, who cares? I want to see how this thing OCs. If 4.4GHz+ I'm interested. If it's a dud and does like 4.1... then shame on AMD. We'll see soon enough.

Yes according to tech power up whom I believe is more reputable than cpc.

(i) TPU didn't test Zen+. CPC did.

(ii) I commented before on the weird results that TPU measures for Zen and other chips.

(iii) I can add now TPU is one of those tech sites that fail at basic math

Last edited:
Wait what? so a budget board with less chokes and VRM's which are also lower quality is not going to make a difference, yet you sit here and tell me with a straight face it was okay to bench a 8700K using a board that is 7.5K in my country with MCE. on a A320 basically all the benefits of a X chip are going to be negated, no overclocks, no turbo states including XFR and 2.0 stages and you are going to have Controller issues.

A320's will give a fair baseline but it is going to come at the cost of a lot of performance. I have been in the testing environment and motherboards are not created equally.

Overclocking is a non-issue because CPC hardware tested all chips on stock settings.

300-series motherboards support both XFR 2 and Precision Boost 2. The only feature wasn't activated during the review was the new overdrive/enhancement boost, because that requires a 400-series motherboard. But as mentioned before

Last edited:

(ii) I commented before on the weird results that TPU measures for Zen and other chips.

Oh juan...

Sorry man it's 152 watts.

It really is. That what they measured that's what it is.

And yes that's more watts than the 2700x too.

Watts that about?

It really is. That what they measured that's what it is.

And yes that's more watts than the 2700x too.

Incorrect measurements aren't valid. And those measurements coming from a site that doesn't know basic math isn't helping much.

Incorrect measurements aren't valid. And those measurements coming from a site that doesn't know basic math isn't helping much.

it doesn't fit my world view so it is wrong.

math isn't needed when all you are doing is looking at the screen of a multi-meter and recording the number.

which is 152 by the way.

Reactions: N4CR
like this

Wouldn't it depend on the comparison?

Since their baseline is the 7600k @ 100%, Zen is 150% and Zen+ is 170%, then one can say, in this test, Zen+ is 20% faster than Zen. (Since we are comparing against the 100% baseline) which is why I don't like those comparisons at all :D

Overclocking is a non-issue because CPC hardware tested all chips on stock settings.

300-series motherboards support both XFR 2 and Precision Boost 2. The only feature wasn't activated during the review was the new overdrive/enhancement boost, because that requires a 400-series motherboard. But as mentioned before

Ce qui implique que les CPU en question avaient leur Precision Boost désactivé, cette technologie n’étant que sur les cartes série 400. Cela ne change pas beaucoup les performances, 1 à 2% grand maximum, et ne change pas le ratio perf/conso en demi-teinte.

This implies that the CPUs in question had their Precision Boost [Overdrive] disabled, this technology being only on the 400 series motherboards. This does not change much the performances, 1 to 2% as top maximum, and does not change the ratio perf / consumption a bit.

How exactly is this not a guess? Since they admit to this being a guess and not actually tested, why should it be taken seriously. How do they know? Where is the scientific basis of guessing about hardware they didn't test on? Since they are fine with just pulling numbers out of thin air, what other numbers do they just pull out of thin air? This will lead to questions like, do they actually test hardware or just guess at testing hardware? How many other of their reviews have numbers published that weren't actually tested? Where does the guessing stop then?

More info directly from CPCHardware.

They confirm that tested 400-series mobos, and repeat again why rejected the results with the X470

Don't expect miracles from new features active only on 400-series mobos such as "XFR2 enhanced"

Confirmation that X470 mobo with stock specs would increase performance by 1% or 2% over the results that they published in the magazine. The performance can increase by 5--8% when using auto-overclocking features

Back