AMD Launches Ryzen 4000 Series: Unleashed With Big Performance Gains

erek

[H]F Junkie
Still the Zen2 architecture for these processors.

"AMD Ryzen 4000 Series I/O Enhancements
AMD has enhanced the Ryzen 4000 series’ I/O configuration as well. The memory controller can support DDR4 memory up to 3200MHz or LPDDR4X at up to 4266MHz. The use of LPDDR4X not only reduces overall power, but offers a big uplift in available bandwidth due to its much higher maximum frequency. "

1584417612219.png

https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-4000-series-mobile-processors

Hasn't mobile Ryzen always been one step behind on the core architecture?

I thought mobile Ryzen 3000 was still Zen+, and mobile Ryzen 2000 was still original Zen.

Hasn't mobile Ryzen always been one step behind on the core architecture?

I thought mobile Ryzen 3000 was still Zen+, and mobile Ryzen 2000 was still original Zen.

Yes. Processors like the Ryzen 5 3400G are in fact, Zen+, not Zen 2 as the name implies. I wrote about that here in my review of the Ryzen 5 3400G.

If half of those glowing words pan out AMD will put a hurting on iNtel in the mobile market just like they did in the server, hedt and desktop world.

If half of those glowing words pan out AMD will put a hurting on iNtel in the mobile market just like they did in the server, hedt and desktop world.
Yes but isn't it kind of becoming enough now? Aren't we reaching the point where Intel has been put through enough and it's time to dial it back? There are limits.

"Watching Intel's face collapse in grief again and again, it just does something to the human heart." --Lisa Su

Yes but isn't it kind of becoming enough now? Aren't we reaching the point where Intel has been put through enough and it's time to dial it back? There are limits.

"Watching Intel's face collapse in grief again and again, it just does something to the human heart." --Lisa Su

Maybe in 7 years like Intel had on AMD.

AMD can't afford to relent. Intel is also still a very profitable company and has not really suffered from AMD's resurgence so, no, it's not enough. Once AMD is an existential threat to Intel would it be necessary to ask this question.

Why only 15w tdp? Would love something with 3x the power to compete with Intel high end mobile platforms.

Why only 15w tdp? Would love something with 3x the power to compete with Intel high end mobile platforms.

Article says that 35 and 45/54-watt parts are inbound. 54 watts depending on the laptop design.

Great video from Hardware Unboxed with the product manager from AMD. Talks about why they went with Vega instead of Navi, monolithic vs chiplet, why they targeted the 12-25w power targets, working with OEMs, marketing.

Very good listen!

Reactions: erek
like this
Sounds great. That Yogo Slim 7 looks nice. I wonder if Linux support will be good.

AMD really needs some wins on the mobile market, it's currently dominated by Intel.

I sense a lot of Paper in this launch. There doesn't even seem to be HW for the tech sites to review.

Back