AMD Launches New Graphics Software, Radeon Software Crimson Edition

6040.jpg

pretty much, SSD is used properly from a proper maker will outlast and outperform any HDD out there, a drive dying no matter if SSD or HDD is same thing, data gone, easier to pull back data from a mechanical drive, sure, impossible to pull back from SSD, kind of, but I think ONLY thing still going for mechanical is CAPACITY, thats it, they have a WAY higher chance of failure as there are far more moving parts, far greater chance of corruption etc.

All in the quality of the unit and how it is used, no different then it always has been. Performance and power usage alone are MASSIVE between SSD and HDD, fastest HDD is ~1/4 or so at best what a decent SSD can give and will use an extra few % more power on average. There is a reason why HDD generally are 5 year or less warranty whereas most SSD are 5-10 years or X data written, in this case, you write data once more or less and just read when needed, so data does not change much, in which case, it would last probably 2-3x longer before a good idea to replace.

Doesnt matter, is just interesting though experiment, just boils down to cost and capacity really, SSD are awesome storage drives BUT dont have the capacity and are more expensive per GB of data of course (currently) but then again, most people I know beyond some movie buffs and such, do not have 3+TB or saved information, IMO to each their own..Cheers.

They limit me to 2560x1600 VSR with my 7970 on a 1920x1200 panel. Guess it's better than nothing. It seems to work fine.

"AMD does note that LFC is only enabled with monitors that have a maximum refresh rate greater than or equal to 2.5 times the minimum refresh rate (e.g. 30Hz to 75Hz), as AMD needs a wide enough variable refresh range to run at a multiple of framerates right on the edge of the minimum (e.g. 45fps). This means LFC can’t be used with Freesync monitors that have a narrow refresh rate, such as the 48Hz to 75Hz models. Ultimately owners of those monitors don’t lose anything, but they also won’t gain anything with LFC."

Will LFC work on the acer 34" predator monitor?

Installed on my 7870 with dual X5470 Xeons just fine. Playing around with the enhanced downscale res feature on Diablo3. Looks nice.

All good. Though I do prefer a vertical list for gaming adjustments than the shifting boxes.

This is a huge improvement over CCC.

When i sold my NVIDIA card and bought an AMD card i immediately noticed how rubbish the AMD software was compared to NVIDIA's. This is now the best control panel for GPU's. Its fast, easy to set up, looks good and has a wealth of options.

Now we just need a Radeon Pro alternative as it's unsupported and way behind what NVIDIA inspector can offer. Hopefully they will continue to improve Crimson and do things like integrate the "Additional Settings" of the Display tab, enable more VSR resolutions and if they could integrate the settings from Radeon Pro into Crimson then that would be awesome.

They limit me to 2560x1600 VSR with my 7970 on a 1920x1200 panel. Guess it's better than nothing. It seems to work fine.

that's since Omega Drivers last year.. is the max supported for GCN 1.0.. at least you now have the chance to fully VSR to higher refresh rate instead of only 2560x1440/1600@60hz.

This is a huge improvement over CCC.

When i sold my NVIDIA card and bought an AMD card i immediately noticed how rubbish the AMD software was compared to NVIDIA's. This is now the best control panel for GPU's. Its fast, easy to set up, looks good and has a wealth of options.

Now we just need a Radeon Pro alternative as it's unsupported and way behind what NVIDIA inspector can offer. Hopefully they will continue to improve Crimson and do things like integrate the "Additional Settings" of the Display tab, enable more VSR resolutions and if they could integrate the settings from Radeon Pro into Crimson then that would be awesome.

RadeonMod and Reshade come close (just no Dynamic Vsync)

One day you may rethink that if had slow download speed or new thing now days with ISP the m#$%#e f f#$ing data caps beside harddrive are charp

Hard drives ARE cheap indeed, but also slow and annoying to run any games off of. :p

I'd much rather have a tiny SDD with few titles installed than a large hd with lots of titles installed.

Dtatacaps and poor internet do complicate things though.

pretty much, SSD is used properly from a proper maker will outlast and outperform any HDD out there, a drive dying no matter if SSD or HDD is same thing, data gone, easier to pull back data from a mechanical drive, sure, impossible to pull back from SSD, kind of, but I think ONLY thing still going for mechanical is CAPACITY, thats it, they have a WAY higher chance of failure as there are far more moving parts, far greater chance of corruption etc.

All in the quality of the unit and how it is used, no different then it always has been. Performance and power usage alone are MASSIVE between SSD and HDD, fastest HDD is ~1/4 or so at best what a decent SSD can give and will use an extra few % more power on average. There is a reason why HDD generally are 5 year or less warranty whereas most SSD are 5-10 years or X data written, in this case, you write data once more or less and just read when needed, so data does not change much, in which case, it would last probably 2-3x longer before a good idea to replace.

Doesnt matter, is just interesting though experiment, just boils down to cost and capacity really, SSD are awesome storage drives BUT dont have the capacity and are more expensive per GB of data of course (currently) but then again, most people I know beyond some movie buffs and such, do not have 3+TB or saved information, IMO to each their own..Cheers.

I guess my take is if you cafe about the data stored on your drive, be it SSD or hard drive, two things are mandatory:

1.) Redundancy. Mirror or RAID make sure your data is redundant.

2.) Off-site backup (because RAID doesn't protect against accidental deletion or "house burns down" type situation.

This isn't needed for everything. While a bit of a pain, an OS can always be reinstalled. So can programs and games.

Photos of the kids, tax documents, and other things that can't be replaced require some more thinking.

If you just store these things on a single drive with no redundancy and no backups, its not a matter of IF you will lose it. It's a matter of WHEN.

I dunno about the GPU version but the chipset version refuses to install on 990FX. Good thing I still had the 15.7.1 installer around.

I don't think they updated chipset drivers, I think they just repacked them with new name. Tried to install on 990fxa-ud3 and installer said (I mean that point where you can click/select components) that all drivers are already up to date. So I assume same drivers as 15.7.1
At least SATA controller driver is same version as before, that's only one I verified as I was curious if bug with micron storage executive is fixed (which is potentially related to this).

"AMD does note that LFC is only enabled with monitors that have a maximum refresh rate greater than or equal to 2.5 times the minimum refresh rate (e.g. 30Hz to 75Hz), as AMD needs a wide enough variable refresh range to run at a multiple of framerates right on the edge of the minimum (e.g. 45fps). This means LFC can’t be used with Freesync monitors that have a narrow refresh rate, such as the 48Hz to 75Hz models. Ultimately owners of those monitors don’t lose anything, but they also won’t gain anything with LFC."

Will LFC work on the acer 34" predator monitor?

LFC works on my X341CK.

which makes sense.

2x48=96 which is outside the VRR range.

Its more an issue for IPS owners, as TN Panels tend to have a much wider VRR.

For a more limited range monitor, I don't understand why they cant double the refresh rate from what is desired and just sync to every other frame, like traditional fixed VSYNC does if you can't render fast enough.

So, traditional vsync set to 60. As soon as the GPU can't keep up it drops to 30.

So with a more limited range monitor (like 48-75hz) when rendering at 48-75 hz, this is easy, but when the GPU can't keep up with 48fps, why not change the frequency to 75hz, and sync to every other, giving you 32.5 fps?

Sure that's a bit of a jump between 32.5 and 48, but it's better than nothing.

Using multipliers like this, you should be able to get many framerate bands:

16-25, 24-32.5, 48-75.

Not that I'd really want to play at those low framerates anyway, but, this CAN expand the range.

16-23 fps: render at refresh rate /3
24-32.5fps: render at refresh rate /2
32.5-48fps: render at 75/2=32.4fps flat
48-75fps render at native refresh rate.

name="Peter Nixeus]
Yes - I can confirm FreeSync does work with Eyefinity as long as you are using DisplayPort cable direct connections to the AMD Radeon's DisplayPort outputs (not using adapters/converters).

1) You also need to use 3 of the exact same monitors for it to work correctly.

2) Depending on the amount of Eyefinity monitors you want to run, you will need a FreeSync capable Radeon Card with that same amount of DisplayPort outputs.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1577149/best-display-port/10#post_24526181

read the last couple pages, hes putting some serious new enhancements in...

Finally tried these drivers on the 390X... definitely a no go. Horrible visual bugs on every game I've tried and really bad performance overall.

I lost 250 points on Firestrike. I thought Crimson felt smoother. Went from being 77% of results, to 60% of results. Haven't had a chance to boot up any games yet. Getting ready to launch Anno 2205

I lost 250 points on Firestrike. I thought Crimson felt smoother. Went from being 77% of results, to 60% of results. Haven't had a chance to boot up any games yet. Getting ready to launch Anno 2205

what score you getting? Seems to work great here;)
Capture_zpsacg16tbu.png

with that being said...bf4 plays amazing with this driver

Automatic fan control has started randomly disabling itself with these drivers. Rolling back.

Just went Crimson. 3dMark comparison

Today: 10376 Fire Strike 11/26/15 4:48:40 AM Intel Core i5-4670K AMD Radeon R9 290X
Yesterday: 9583 Fire Strike 11/25/15 4:40:52 AM Intel Core i5-4670K AMD Radeon R9 290X

Just over an 8% improvement

Too bad Crimson breaks a bunch of games like Fallout 4. I did notice a pretty decent bump in performance, but I just went back to 15.11.1 because the new Crimson suite made my audio skip on everything and it made Fallout unplayable.

I can't wait for them to fix the issues it has, because I'm super excited to get more out of my current setup so I can hold off on an upgrade.

Why, oh why did they remove the hot key shortcuts to the presets? Arg!!!!

Fallout 4 works for me???

Last edited:
Under Display Tab, top right there is an Arrow that points to Additional Settings, then it is under gaming in the new box that pops up and has crossfire setting like you would see in CCC.

Many thanks. I went out of town for a few days and came back this afternoon. There they are.

"Position Windows Taskbar" on a single display doesn't work for me. I get an access error for Cnet.exe when I exit the CP.

Well..............

I loaded it up after using AMD uninstaller and DDU.
Installed fine then on restart crashed to a blue screen.

Restarted and it's fine.

Looks and works just like a spit polished turd.

All the sub menus are the same old shit, just a new looking GUI.
Plus you have to now dig through 2 or 3 menus to get to stuff that used to be one click away.

The functionality hasn't changed one bit, it just has lipstick on now.

Does this Crimson version have "flip queue size” option (similar to Nvidia's "Maximum Pre-rendered frames")?

I really wish they'd include this option as I don't have to use third-party apps like RadeonPro.

Does this Crimson version have "flip queue size” option (similar to Nvidia's "Maximum Pre-rendered frames")?

I really wish they'd include this option as I don't have to use third-party apps like RadeonPro.

I think they were wrapping it into triple buffering, but not certain. Seems they had a slide saying flip que but showing triple buffering.

anyone with an XR341CK up and running with Crimson? I'm just stuck with 30hz and don't know how to get this back to 75hz with freesync.

Back