AMD Launches New Graphics Software, Radeon Software Crimson Edition

as far as installing over old drivers, generally is ALWAYS best to clean install driver sets, takes an extra ~5-10mins most times to avoid problems that can easily be avoided by taking that extra few steps, I know lots of folks that do an install over their old drivers and many times works ok, but often do not get the same performance or stability not to mention wasted crud sitting there for nothing.

As far as that shspvr, wow, just wow. things can easily be kept clean without being a tool about the way it is worded. and a quick google search says that CNEXT.EXE is related to catia and dassault systems, not once could I myself find a relation to Crimson software from AMD with this exe specific link, even according to MSFT please see the MSFT link and google search below.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ror/0c30ed56-80a8-45fb-96cb-bbca18068510?db=5

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...me&channel=cs&ie=UTF-8&q=CNEXT.EXE&gws_rd=ssl

so unless I am missing something, it has nothing to do with Crimson/Catalyst or Steam for that matter it is related to hardware in this case some space mouse CAD tools or the like, maybe it is overloading the HDD thorough swap file (not proper size) or whatever. IMO it could be your system and/or what you have in use causing the issue, not generally the Radeon software causing it, 2k+ steam games would take a TON of space in my mind so I think the issue is more complex then the simple explain the way you are wording it that Crimson is causing the issue?

I don't have XP how ever I do have Windows 7

Zarathustra[H];1041991285 said:
You have 2000+ games installed?

Why?

I only ever have 3-5 titles installed at a time. When. I am done playing one, I uninstall it.

Unlike you I don't uninstall nor do I want to re-download them and there other reason.

so unless I am missing something, it has nothing to do with Crimson/Catalyst or Steam for that matter it is related to hardware in this case some space mouse CAD tools or the like, maybe it is overloading the HDD thorough swap file (not proper size) or whatever. IMO it could be your system and/or what you have in use causing the issue, not generally the Radeon software causing it, 2k+ steam games would take a TON of space in my mind so I think the issue is more complex then the simple explain the way you are wording it that Crimson is causing the issue?

please open task manager and look.

crext.exe is the crimson control panel.

Specifically: "Radeon Settings: Host Application"

Its just a coincidence there is another program with the same name.

smooth so far -- while the interface is slick a LOT of option I want access to aren't there.

I see NOTHING about crossfire control (I have Xfire 290s in my main righ) and it looks like if I ever need to disable one card (for whatever reason) I can't do it?

The interface looks so dumbed down, it's practically useless for anyone that needs to tinker with settings.

Yes, you are correct I was also in the dragonstongue situation when my googlefu skills failed me pointing to dassault. Then just opened task manager and found it..

AMD mentions "LiquidVR" as being a part of this, but I haven't been able to find concrete information on what exactly it is. Would this allow 3D conversion of games to be compatible with VR, or is it just some tools for developers?

Unlike you I don't uninstall nor do I want to re-download them and there other reason.

Come to think of it, right now I have the following 4 games installed (in order of play time)

- Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
- Civilization V: Brave New World
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
- Verdun: 1914-1918
- Batman: Arkham Knight

I could take or leave both CS:GO and Verdun. They are just there in case I feel like playing with them again, and I haven't removed them because I don't need the space. I used to be a huge CS fan back in the day, but have just lost interest. Verdun is cool, I like it, but the movement feels very sterile and linear, and as such it's tough to get into. Batman was just installed because I got it free with my video cards, and felt like checkign it out. I never even played it once. Just looked at the GPU test sequence. Not really my kind of game.

RO2 has been installed since launch in 2011, and Civ 5 has been installed since launch in 2010 (though previous expansions)

Over the last few years I've briefly installed other games, (Fallout 3, Metro 2033, Metro Last Light, Deus Ex, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series) finished them and then removed them.

Go back far enough and Counter-Strike: Source was part of the staples group, but not anymore.

IMHO, most games don't have much in the way of replay value, so I don't see the point in keeping them installed once I am done with them. I used to use the Steam backup to my NAS before I uninstalled, but Steam downloads are so fast, and I have no data caps, so it just isn't worth it.

Since 2010 when I got my first SSD, I've had no spinning hard drives in my system, and just one SSD at a time. All my storage has gone on my NAS.

From 2010 to 2012 I only had a 120GB drive, and I split it into two partitions, 60GB each for Windows and Linux, so space for games was at a premium.

From 2012 until this summer I had two different a 256GB SSD's (one at a time), both split two ways, 60GB for linux and the rest for Windows, so it was not as tight, but still not enough space to keep every game in my library installed.

This summer I picked up a 400GB Intel 750 SSD, and now I ahve so much space I don't know what to do with it all (which is why CS:Go, Verdun and Batman are still installed.

Long story short: I really only need space for three games. RO2, Civ5 and the single player story based game du jour.

Steam is fast and reliable, so I have no reason to keep local copies of anything.

22725944905_f1e3b3e340_b.jpg

Zarathustra[H];1041991414 said:
Come to think of it, right now I have the following 4 games installed (in order of play time)

- Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
- Civilization V: Brave New World
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
- Verdun: 1914-1918
- Batman: Arkham Knight

One day you may rethink that if had slow download speed or new thing now days with ISP the m#$%#e f f#$ing data caps beside harddrive are charp

smooth so far -- while the interface is slick a LOT of option I want access to aren't there.

I see NOTHING about crossfire control (I have Xfire 290s in my main righ) and it looks like if I ever need to disable one card (for whatever reason) I can't do it?

The interface looks so dumbed down, it's practically useless for anyone that needs to tinker with settings.
I disagree. I think it's great. All of the major settings are quickly accessible, the UI is much more responsive (it's faster than NVIDIA's control panel now) and all of the major settings are available for each game and for global settings. Did you check under System > Hardware or Gaming > Overdrive for CrossFire? I imagine it's in one of those locations.

2000+ games!? How much storage do you have dedicated to games? Using 4GB to index terabytes of games across possibly millions of files is not unexpected.

2000+ games!? How much storage do you have dedicated to games? Using 4GB to index terabytes of games across possibly millions of files is not unexpected.
A pair 3TB
That just it, it can't deal with it

Last edited:
good that they keep putting effort into driver. Though I dont like that "modern" ui , not that it is much important, if it will help to convince more ppl and improve amd reputation fine with me. At least it is damn fast.

sadly they didn't fix my overclocking bug :(

@collegeboy69us: kind of agree, maybe that's why I dont like new ui much, I'm more of old school ui fan. Though did you try to look into "preferences" > "radeon additional settings" ? I dont have CF so cant say if some CF related settings appear there for you or not.

I was talking about the OP(Original Post) that has numbers all over the post. :|

If your original post wasn't a joke, the numbers are footnotes referencing the specifics of each mentioned case. Almost certainly AMD's own footnotes as I imagine Steve copy and pasted that information directly from AMD supplied reference materials.

I just downloaded and installed the new Crimson driver. Wow! It makes everything look better! Even my wife! ;)

That might be part of the issue.
Nope if that was the case then Steam would be the same but it not I there number of people that have way more then I do and I still have Test Windows 10 maybe I have some time later tonight.

ummm, ok, I installed the thing, now where are my clock and power controls?

nvm, found it

gaming

global settings

global overdrive

ummm, ok, I installed the thing, now where are my clock and power controls?

Gaming.. and you have per game basis overdrive, or just go to global settings and there is Global Graphics and global overdrive.

thanks Araxie, yeah, I was clicking around like a blind man for a while there

he did say CNEXT.EXE not at all same thing A B I re-read and said typo somewhere C I DO NOT HAVE Crimson, so I dont know what the hell it would say in this regard, and generally speaking it would have to be a hell of a coincidence for AMD/MSFT/Dassault and lord knows how many other companies not to have picked this up though in regards to typo, it happens.

Just thought it was something nifty to "tell someone off" for such things :(. Someone blames a company for the fool way they run things, how or why is it their fault, example, cup of hot coffee held by sack, cup breaks, sue company hmmmm "Here`s your sign" in this case, similar manner some 2k games and he complains it uses bunch of ram, not loading fast etc, bloody hell, cant blame the company for specific use scenarios, certainly do not need them telling others poorly for trying to sort it out as best they can with limited information.

"Here`s your sign" :rolleyes:

A lot over 4 million file and over 200 thousand folder :eek:

OMG lol...To each their own, I can understand something that is a single player if Steam says screw you all at least you would still have the offline games or whatever and keeping other more frequently played games installed, but, this is some kind of crazy pack rat syndrome or something :p...That is a crap ton to lose if it all goes to hell in a handbasket not to mention depending on how it is loaded on said hard-drive massive performance penalties, power use etc :D

Any idea where Crossfire is buried in these drivers?

Under Display Tab, top right there is an Arrow that points to Additional Settings, then it is under gaming in the new box that pops up and has crossfire setting like you would see in CCC.

OMG lol...To each their own, I can understand something that is a single player if Steam says screw you all at least you would still have the offline games or whatever and keeping other more frequently played games installed, but, this is some kind of crazy pack rat syndrome or something :p...That is a crap ton to lose if it all goes to hell in a handbasket not to mention depending on how it is loaded on said hard-drive massive performance penalties, power use etc :D
That why I don't truth SSD when it gone it gone for good unlike reg harddrive and SSD there fine as OS drive but not as data storeage
Rule one ALWAY and ALWAY Backup your stuff to a 2nd harddrive or other media I lean that min years and also rotate my harddrive ever 3/4 years with new one drive DOA!!!
I never saw any massive performance penalties and I have been doing this for years

Last edited:
That why I don't truth SSD wheb it gone it gone for good unlike reg harddrive and SSD there fine as OS drive but not as data storeage
Rule one ALWAY and ALWAY Backup your stuff to a 2nd harddrive or other media I lean that min years and also rotate my harddrive ever 3/4 years with new one drive DOA!!!
I never saw any massive performance penalties and I have been doing this for years

6040.jpg

Are you running xfire. ? What OS any performance gains. ?

I'm still on Win 7 x64 here. I'm using a single 7970. Games seem fine and smooth.

ComputeMark with these drivers is 9184 with the 7970 @ 1230|1660. That's a default run.

Firestrike is up in the Graphics score. That was 10031 at the noted clocks.

Yeah, that doesn't really matter but I like to test new drivers on it.

I dunno about the GPU version but the chipset version refuses to install on 990FX. Good thing I still had the 15.7.1 installer around.

Fallout 4 warning: Avoid crimson and stick with 15.11.1 for now if you want a working compass. I tried non-beta and beta fallout 4 with shader cache disabled and enabled with all my other settings as I had them in the profile and the compass is broken now. Lots of reports of this floating around.

Fallout 4 warning: Avoid crimson and stick with 15.11.1 for now if you want a working compass. I tried non-beta and beta fallout 4 with shader cache disabled and enabled with all my other settings as I had them in the profile and the compass is broken now. Lots of reports of this floating around.

Yup same here 290x and new drivers. Compass is there but it is glitched and you have a hard time making it out.

Yup same here 290x and new drivers. Compass is there but it is glitched and you have a hard time making it out.

I found out how to report the problem. Home > Preferences > Report Issue > Complete survey selecting Fallout 4. Let's hope I don't have to wait a month for the fix.

On another note about crimson where is the low frame rate compensating feature found? My Freesync display has a wide enough range to support it?

The frame rate limiter in game profiles doesn't work. The global setting does though.

The frame rate limiter in game profiles doesn't work. The global setting does though.

It is working for me in Fallout 4 with the global limit disabled I have the FRTC at 90fps and it works as advertised. To get it to work however I had to delete the steam profile taht it included and add in the executable because of the stupid launcher that fallout 4 uses.

working for me as well.

also the compass issue comes and goes.

if you slowly look up and down you can temporarily find a spot where you can read it.

Appears to be some kind of occlusion issue with background objects.

Back