AMD issues guidelines to retailers to prevent Radeon RX 6000 scalping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I hope this means it will be a card that is in demand. Judging by the Steam surveys, no one cares about AMD cards.

I use them (well used to until a this year) but the Steam survey show than something like 10% of people use AMD cards. NVIDIA could really use some competition at the mid to high end (and stable drivers. Yes, I always defended AMD but to my surprise, my system got a hellava lot more stable coming back from sleep when I upgraded to a 1660 Super.).

Well I hope this means it will be a card that is in demand. Judging by the Steam surveys, no one cares about AMD cards.

I use them (well used to until a this year) but the Steam survey show than something like 10% of people use AMD cards. NVIDIA could really use some competition at the mid to high end (and stable drivers. Yes, I always defended AMD but to my surprise, my system got a hellava lot more stable coming back from sleep when I upgraded to a 1660 Super.).
Low power states seems to be the bane of AMD.

Please pick the squares with the traffic lights. Oh, so close but there was 1mm of corner in a square you didn't choose.

Yes! I absolutely hate those challenge ones. I am not stupid (not real smart either, but not dumb) I still fail on a lot of these.

eBay and Amazon should also try to control the scalping situation.

Yes the scalpers are the worst people on earth today after murders and the rapists

Why? They make money from scalpers.

They make money but the scalper makes more then they do.

Side effect of their (still) god awful drivers.
If AMD ever really got rolling on their software as much as their hardware it would be a beautiful thing for consumers.
Personally I much prefer amd drivers over nvidia. Especially for laptops and pro cards. It is just easier and more flexible then the system nvidia forces people to use

Last edited:
Personally I much prefer amd drivers over nvidia. Especially for laptops and pro cards. It is just easier and more flexible then the system nvidia forces people to use
Maybe but they do seem less robust. On my NVidia systems I’ve never had to worry that a windows update is going to stop my machine from correctly entering or exiting hibernation where on my AMD ones that is a regular issue.

Maybe but they do seem less robust. On my NVidia systems I’ve never had to worry that a windows update is going to stop my machine from correctly entering or exiting hibernation where on my AMD ones that is a regular issue.
My 1080ti messes up monitor sleep and also has random black screens. So, anecdotal examples are anecdotal.

AMD drivers are the only thing that makes me hesitant about switching back. Black screen and power state issues sound like a pain in the ass. My 1080 Ti has been flawless for the past 2.5 years. Probably the best GPU I’ve owned over the past decade.

The R9 390 I had before it was a fantastic piece of hardware but had more driver issues than the GTX 780 I had before it. That’s why I went back to Nvidia for the 1080 Ti and again this round with the 3080. Nvidia drivers have been less problematic in my own personal experience than AMD’s. If I hear that AMD has a smooth run on the driver front with Big Navi then I’ll be more intrigued to give them a shot next generation.

Regarding the guidelines, as others have said I don’t think AMD has enough sway for what they’re asking. They’d need a broader product portfolio like Samsung or Sony to give them more leverage. Otherwise making retailers complete checkout specific changes just for your CPUs/GPUs won’t happen. Even though I wish it would for the sake of trying to get a Zen 3 at launch...

Now see windows 10 breaks itself frequently when updates are forced for me. I have very little faith in Microsoft software. I have never had that issue on a server os or linux with amd drivers and it just feels easier to get working on all the machines ive tried (sometime pretty odd configurations).

I would definintly agree that more software refinment could always be a good thing for something like a driver. If this generation of hardware is competitive to nvidias offerings and is paired with a decent driver they should easily have a winning product.

I try to reboot my desktop as least as possible. I load a ton of apps and tabs on different virtual desktops and then put it to sleep when I walk away.
I used to run an RX580 and an RX470 and some other AMD card before that. It would often not resume from sleep (the system seemed to but the video did not) which I always blamed as a Windows issue however, I upgraded to a 1660 Super earlier this year and I never have that issue anymore. I can sleep dozens of times over a week before something goes wrong and I have to reboot.

I have no idea if current generation AMD cards have this problem but it certainly was a problem in the past.

As far as running games, I rarely had problems except when the games first came out (and I also blamed on game bugs but who the hell knows whose fault it was). I figure if you never put your PC to sleep and just play games, you will probably never have a problem with an AMD GPU.

Last edited:
Looks like AMD plans to use up old Navi 10 dies on miners, so they dont' buy newer Navi 2x cards and soak up all the supply.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Navi-Blockchain

Patches posted today provide support for a new Navi graphics card referred to as the "navi10 blockchain SKU."

The Navi 10 part has a device ID of 0x731E. From the AMDGPU Linux kernel driver perspective, the only difference from the existing Navi 10 GPU support is these patches disable the Display Core Next (DCN) and Video Core Next (VCN) support with this new SKU not having any display support.

The few patches will likely not be mainlined until Linux 5.11 unless AMD developers push it through as a "fix" for Linux 5.10 given that it's just adding the new device ID and a few tweaks specific to that unreleased SKU. In any case given the timing it's possible AMD might not be launching this Navi "blockchain" card until early 2021.

You can rest assured that has been realized. That was a mess.

Man, I hope so. Polaris cards and an R9 290 were not stable on my older systems. 3 years ago I gave up on auto cpu sleep modes or monitor sleep after x time inactivity on my fx 8350 system. I sent a few nasty emails AMD's way over a weird bug with that and win7. At least an rx 570 was mostly stable. It was a big reason I stayed away from over paying to beta test Navi 1 cards.

Last edited:
Man, I hope so. Polaris cards and an R9 290 were not stable on my older systems. 3 years ago I gave up on auto cpu sleep modes or monitor sleep after x time inactivity on my fx 8350 system. I sent a few nasty emails AMD's way over a weird bug with that and win7. At least an rx 570 was mostly stable. It was a big reason I stayed away from over paying to beta test Navi 1 cards.

I had an 8320 @ 4.7 with a 7970Ghz and 280X in Crossfire with zero issues on an Asus 990FX Sabertooth mobo. CnQ and sleep worked just fine.

5700XT on MSI B450i has zero issues with going to and out of sleep. Not once has it not work, same with a Vega FE in same machine. The same 5700XT in an ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero never worked right, neither did a 1080Ti or Vega 64 LC, same machine (since then the motherboard failed). I blame it on the motherboard bios. Just assuming without really knowing the cause and group think with others having the issue probably or usually really misses the mark.

I had an 8320 @ 4.7 with a 7970Ghz and 280X in Crossfire with zero issues on an Asus 990FX Sabertooth mobo. CnQ and sleep worked just fine.

This mobo has had no issues with CnQ and sleep was fine with a 5850 and 7870 cards.

5700XT on MSI B450i has zero issues with going to and out of sleep. Not once has it not work, same with a Vega FE in same machine. The same 5700XT in an ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero never worked right, neither did a 1080Ti or Vega 64 LC, same machine (since then the motherboard failed). I blame it on the motherboard bios. Just assuming without really knowing the cause and group think with others having the issue probably or usually really misses the mark.

Oh, I'm sure the mobo is a factor with newer video cards that prefer UEFI setups.

R9 290 did not like my P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard with X58 chipset. The driver used to crash regularly in low demanding games, like Diablo 3.
Someone suggested to tweak the core voltage, but the same card worked fine without any tweaks on a Z97 motherboard.

I wonder how many 3080/3090 got successfully sold on ebay for huge markups. I'm sure it was > 0 but no idea how much.

Friend used some discord channel where a guy had a bot that would post when stockl showed up and at what sites, etc. and after watching that for a week or two he found both in stock and got one of each (one went to friend of his).

For this there will be the same thing, someone will have an irc or discord channel that gets updates posted for in-stock availability, should these be hard to find. Just a little patience you can pay retail price.

I wonder how many 3080/3090 got successfully sold on ebay for huge markups. I'm sure it was > 0 but no idea how much.

Friend used some discord channel where a guy had a bot that would post when stockl showed up and at what sites, etc. and after watching that for a week or two he found both in stock and got one of each (one went to friend of his).

For this there will be the same thing, someone will have an irc or discord channel that gets updates posted for in-stock availability, should these be hard to find. Just a little patience you can pay retail price.
Thousands. Really easy flip at the 1,000-1100 range.

This mobo has had no issues with CnQ and sleep was fine with a 5850 and 7870 cards.

Oh, I'm sure the mobo is a factor with newer video cards that prefer UEFI setups.
My B450 constantly gave me shit on a number of minor things until I rebuilt it from Legacy to UEFI. Most went away then and there, the ones that remained turned out to be caused by a faulty PSU.

I've generally had better luck with Nvidia drivers, although I do have one bothersome issue with my 2080S. I order to game on my TV, I have to turn my primary monitor off, then on, then off again. If I only turn it off once, desktop scaling on the TV is messed up and games are choppy. Could be a Windows issue, can't say for sure. First "major" issue I've had on an Nvidia card though.

Can we get back on topic please. There are plenty of other on topic threads for the topics being discussed here that have nothing to do with our topic.

Well, two days to go to find out what is being released and when. To keep it on topic, hope the scalpers do not win this round.

Well, two days to go to find out what is being released and when. To keep it on topic, hope the scalpers do not win this round.
I really hope the rumours about the limited release for the 6900XT are false, but the fact they are worried that scalping for them will be an issue makes me think it is. If they have a solid launch supply than scalpers aren’t a problem because surge demand is met. Limited supply makes for a scalper paradise. I’m more than happy to wait for a new system till April.

Do the people that want more e-peen accept the survey more often than those that just don't care about it?

It is clear there is much pent up demand for cutting edge GPUs as well as pretty much anything computer related due to Covid. Best case scenario I see is limited supply and one card per customer buy limits - at least initially.. Would be hard to screw it up worse than Nvi-duh at this point.

It is clear there is much pent up demand for cutting edge GPUs as well as pretty much anything computer related due to Covid. Best case scenario I see is limited supply and one card per customer buy limits - at least initially.. Would be hard to screw it up worse than Nvi-duh at this point.
I don’t know AMD is on a pretty good run, I can totally see a hold my beer moment for them in the near future.

I don’t know AMD is on a pretty good run, I can totally see a hold my beer moment for them in the near future.
All it take for them is to build abunch of cards. with little pressure from nvidia to hit the market first they also have the advantage to build up abit of a initial release.

Interesting... Anyone know if the reason we can't find out WHICH retailers will carry the cards, much less what time they will be offered is part of this? I know that Frg said that AMD should not have supply issues - but there's that recent rumor out of Asus that says they might.

Interesting... Anyone know if the reason we can't find out WHICH retailers will carry the cards, much less what time they will be offered is part of this? I know that Frg said that AMD should not have supply issues - but there's that recent rumor out of Asus that says they might.
I will repost here what I said in another thread this morning.

What you are going to see will be different from what NVIDIA has done.

AMD MBA cards will be in short supply up front. However, where you saw NV front-load almost all its cards, AMD is backloading. Once AIB cards hit, you will see 5 to 7 times the inventory released than what NV has shipped total in NA at this time. AMD will be heavily back-loaded into the channel. AMD is shipping ASIC BOM kits nearly daily to AIBs at this point and it will continue to happen throughout Q4. There will be a decent supply through Q4.

Now let me say this again as it is worth hearing. There is no way that when AMD was doing its projections for supply, that it could have even fathomed that NVIDIA would totally shit the bed on 3080/90 supply for the quarter, effectively abandoning the $500 to $1000 GPU TAM. NVIDIA has left such a gaping hole in the market that there is no way it can be filled currently. From my information and analysis, AMD projected to grow its portion of the TAM and will have inventory to do that. The sad fact is that NV simply abandoned its customer in that market and there is no possible way for AMD to fill the void.

My information tells me that 6800 and 6800 XT ASICs being delivered through the quarter should remain pretty much equal.

We are also going to see AIB 6900 XT cards as well, and I was informed that those should be about equal to 6800.

If you hear that some AIBs will not be making cards this quarter, this is why. I know some AIBs have gotten greater amounts of stock because they committed to AMD to build X number of cards where some AIBs would not. So AMD has been shuffling stock to those AIBs that would commit to getting cards to market. AMD is working hard according the AIBs that they want to get as many GPUs on the shelf in Q4.

Last edited:
I will repost here what I said in another thread this morning.

What you are going to see will be different from what NVIDIA has done.

AMD MBA cards will be in short supply up front. However, where you saw NV front-load almost all its cards, AMD is backloading. Once AIB cards hit, you will see 5 to 7 times the inventory released than what NV has shipped total in NA at this time. AMD will be heavily back-loaded into the channel. AMD is shipping ASIC BOM kits nearly daily to AIBs at this point and it will continue to happen throughout Q4. There will be a decent supply through Q4.

Now let me say this again as it is worth hearing. There is no way that when AMD was doing its projections for supply, that it could have even fathomed that NVIDIA would totally shit the bed on 3080/90 supply for the quarter, effectively abandoning the $500 to $1000 GPU TAM. NVIDIA has left such a gaping hole in the market that there is no way it can be filled currently. From my information and analysis, AMD projected to grow its portion of the TAM and will have inventory to do that. The sad fact is that NV simply abandoned its customer in that market and there is no possible way for AMD to fill the void.

My information tells me that 6800 and 6800 XT ASICs being delivered through the quarter should remain pretty much equal.

We are also going to see AIB 6900 XT cards as well, and I was informed that those should be about equal to 6800.

If you hear that some AIBs will not be making cards this quarter, this is why. I know some AIBs have gotten greater amounts of stock because they committed to AMD to build X number of cards where some AIBs would not. So AMD has been shuffling stock to those AIBs that would commit to getting cards to market. AMD is working hard according the AIBs that they want to get as many GPUs on the shelf in Q4.

Thanks very much for this fast response. My take: holy shit! Loving to hear that AIBs are getting pushed cards, as that really will mean a plethora of opportunities to acquire a card. I guess the take-away is to not lose hope (read: resign myself to Jan/Feb) if I don't get a release-day card, because the AIBs are coming out (~ 2 weeks later, IIRC) soon.

Passing this along to a friend who's been in limbo building his first high-end machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am happy I get to see some of the people who try to get to me having this trouble.

If AMD/nVidia were serious about stopping scalping, they would pull authorized reseller status from sites like Amazon and Newegg that allow scalpers to list their products.

GPUInsanity.jpg

Last edited:
Waiting eagerly. While I'm really tempted to grab a 6800XT now (I wonder if my local Microcenter will let me essentially buy online and go pick it up from the local stock?), I' m curious to see the full report on performance now that embargos on such data are over. I wonder if that is also the case for the 6900XT, as it would be nice to see some comparison data both to the 6800XT / 6800 and to the AMD 3070/3080/3090. Or is there a separate date for the reviews/info on the 6900XT to be made available?

Also, in reference to FrgMstr's post, its great to hear there will be AIB versions of the 6900XT; earlier reports seemed to suggest not only would there only be reference designs, they would only be available in a limited fashion. Is there a public confirmation or reporting of this or is it still exclusively off-the-record from industry sources? it would be great if, at least prior to the holidays, all the info would be available for both 6800XT and 6900XT series, with both reference and AIB versions of the cards available for purchase.

Waiting eagerly. While I'm really tempted to grab a 6800XT now (I wonder if my local Microcenter will let me essentially buy online and go pick it up from the local stock?), I' m curious to see the full report on performance now that embargos on such data are over. I wonder if that is also the case for the 6900XT, as it would be nice to see some comparison data both to the 6800XT / 6800 and to the AMD 3070/3080/3090. Or is there a separate date for the reviews/info on the 6900XT to be made available?

Also, in reference to FrgMstr's post, its great to hear there will be AIB versions of the 6900XT; earlier reports seemed to suggest not only would there only be reference designs, they would only be available in a limited fashion. Is there a public confirmation or reporting of this or is it still exclusively off-the-record from industry sources? it would be great if, at least prior to the holidays, all the info would be available for both 6800XT and 6900XT series, with both reference and AIB versions of the cards available for purchase.
They haven't been allowing that. For any high ticket items they always have in store only. People been lining up since yesterday for the cards. So yea would be a dick move for them to hold cards for people who ordered from the comfort of their home.

The tension is palpable. Newegg's site shows 'no products found' under GPU. BB has 2, 'Coming Soon' and AMD has a link that goes to '404 Page Not Found'

jitters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back