AMD Invite Event in Chicago.

TheBlueChanell

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got back from the event. It was an awesome experience. They had two live overclocking competitions one with air cooling and one with LN2. It was team AMD vs. Team Finland. They had two sets of CPU's and they let the audience pick which ones each team would use. They had 30 minutes to hit the maximum OC with each type of cooling. The max overclock on LN2 was 6ghz Stable for team Finland. They were able to run the entire crysis benchmark loop and a session of 3DMark. They hit 4.0ghz on Air.

They also had a bunch of rigs setup with Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, and Crysis. They had an i7 965 rig w/ 3gb of ddr3 in triple channel against a Phenom 2 940 with 4gb of DDR2 setup with Crysis side by side to show the difference in performance. We know crysis isn't exactly the best game to show off CPU horsepower but the difference in performance was negligible. The i7 machine was only 1-2FPS faster and that's really what they setup to show.

They gave out a bunch of goodies like free drinks and a bunch of swag.

I won a Phenom 2 as did a bunch of others, and my buddy won a killer nic.

They gave out 10-20 Phenom 2's, 2x 4870x2's, a couple 4800's and some killer nic cards.

Nice, I hope those chips were not cherry picked. Hey do you know what they were using for the air cooling? That would be sick if it was just a stock cooler, but I bet it was a Tuniq tower 120 cooler or better.

Wow nice pickup, I guess this will be your next gaming rig??

Yeah I've been waiting on Deneb since I sold off my intel stuff and everything with it to pay off some debts. I sold off everything in my rig here, or locally. The only thing I kept was my v1010.

My next build is probably gonna

DFI 790FXB
Phenom 2
4gb Ballistix
1tb caviar black
300gb vr
pcpc 750w

The only thing I'm undecided on is the videocard. I might get a 48701GB, I want to see if other vendors come out with 4850x2's and the word I got from the event tonight was it should be within the next month that we'll see non-sapphire 4850x2's. We shall see than. :D

The nice thing is everything is dirt cheap. It's only gonna cost me about $500 for the PSU, HDD's, Mobo and RAM.

The only really expensive thing I'm going to have to buy now that I have the CPU is gonna be the GPU and I can stomach $350 for a 4850x2.

Might get one of these phenom 2s. Sounds like they finally got it right. ;)

4GHz @1.5V, I was hoping a lower voltage..

I think we will see lower voltage out of them. They only had 30 minutes to conduct the tests and it's sort of a pain in the ass to check for voltage stability so they probably figured that 1.5v would be safe and would supply enough voltage for a nice overclock so they could worry about other things other than volts. As I stated before they only had 30 minutes.

Hell, I'll buy a Phenom 2. For the price it looks right. It'll be my "tick" purchase while I wait for Intel's "tock" 32nm chips.

I just got back from the event. It was an awesome experience. They had two live overclocking competitions one with air cooling and one with LN2. It was team AMD vs. Team Finland. They had two sets of CPU's and they let the audience pick which ones each team would use. They had 30 minutes to hit the maximum OC with each type of cooling. The max overclock on LN2 was 6ghz Stable for team Finland. They were able to run the entire crysis benchmark loop and a session of 3DMark. They hit 4.0ghz on Air.

They also had a bunch of rigs setup with Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, and Crysis. They had an i7 965 rig w/ 3gb of ddr3 in triple channel against a Phenom 2 940 with 4gb of DDR2 setup with Crysis side by side to show the difference in performance. We know crysis isn't exactly the best game to show off CPU horsepower but the difference in performance was negligible. The i7 machine was only 1-2FPS faster and that's really what they setup to show.

They gave out a bunch of goodies like free drinks and a bunch of swag.

I won a Phenom 2 as did a bunch of others, and my buddy won a killer nic.

They gave out 10-20 Phenom 2's, 2x 4870x2's, a couple 4800's and some killer nic cards.

i would of loved to known about this cause i would of been there

i would of loved to known about this cause i would of been there

They were invite only events. There was one in San Fran on Friday I believe, The Chicago one was yesterday, and there's an event in Boston either today or tomorrow.

and were the intel and amd chips running at the same speed to get that 1-2fps difference in crysis?

Macci! Awesome stuff.. I was hoping to go but wasn't able to this time around. How many were at this one? Glad you won. :)

What motherboard(s) were they using in that overclocking competition?

All of these pre-release benchies seem to be using the 790GX instead of the 790FX. Both use the SB750. I wonder if the point is to show what a capable chipset any MB based on the 790GX based is, or if it is price or the built in GFX (3300?) is giving the system an edge?
I would think they would be pushing the Spider/Dragon CFX 790FX 4 card board not the 2xPCIe16x economy board. Maybe the logic is price(yaaa!) and the realization is a 4 card setup is a waste (new cards released every year and a huge power drain). I'm glad the 790GX takes 16GB DDR2 RAM and accepts 2x GFX cards(plus on-board). Suits me.

All of these pre-release benchies seem to be using the 790GX instead of the 790FX. Both use the SB750. I wonder if the point is to show what a capable chipset any MB based on the 790GX based is, or if it is price or the built in GFX (3300?) is giving the system an edge?
I would think they would be pushing the Spider/Dragon CFX 790FX 4 card board not the 2xPCIe16x economy board. Maybe the logic is price(yaaa!) and the realization is a 4 card setup is a waste (new cards released every year and a huge power drain). I'm glad the 790GX takes 16GB DDR2 RAM and accepts 2x GFX cards(plus on-board). Suits me.
AMD's motherboard partner of the month is Gigabyte - GB doesn't have a 790FX motherboard that has the new southbridge.. at least, not that I know of.

AMD describes the "Dragon" platform as being a Phenom II processor,
a 790GX/SB750 MB and one or more descrete 4000 series graphics
cards...

I believe they have something in store using the GX NB that they haven't
mentioned as yet... ;)

(Maybe something in conjunction with this...?)
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/964/1049964/amd-also-comes-out-in-support-of-opencl

Also, you're probably right about them most likely seeing 4 cards as a waste
as two 4870x2's will do the job better for the same (or less) money...

This is speculation on my part... I just know that AMD is blatantly pushing
the GX NB...

Yeah I've been waiting on Deneb since I sold off my intel stuff and everything with it to pay off some debts. I sold off everything in my rig here, or locally. The only thing I kept was my v1010.

My next build is probably gonna

DFI 790FXB
Phenom 2
4gb Ballistix
1tb caviar black
300gb vr
pcpc 750w

The only thing I'm undecided on is the videocard. I might get a 48701GB, I want to see if other vendors come out with 4850x2's and the word I got from the event tonight was it should be within the next month that we'll see non-sapphire 4850x2's. We shall see than. :D

The nice thing is everything is dirt cheap. It's only gonna cost me about $500 for the PSU, HDD's, Mobo and RAM.

The only really expensive thing I'm going to have to buy now that I have the CPU is gonna be the GPU and I can stomach $350 for a 4850x2.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1373890

A couple of questions about these GX boards, if anyone has the answers:
Integrated GPU is disabled when paired with GPU above 4370's? Does this mean just in a Xfire sense or no ability to use the integrated GPU for extended displays as an 2d/3d?
When using multiple GPU's the PCIe slots are only 2x8 instead of the full 16x?

Woohoo, looks like I can go on the cheap with DDR2 and Phenom II and still be in the game. :D Thanks for the heads up OP!

A couple of questions about these GX boards, if anyone has the answers:
Integrated GPU is disabled when paired with GPU above 4370's? Does this mean just in a Xfire sense or no ability to use the integrated GPU for extended displays as an 2d/3d?

When using multiple GPU's the PCIe slots are only 2x8 instead of the full 16x?

I run a 17" LCD off the onboard 3300 and a 20 widescreen off a 4850.

When running 2 PCIe cards slots are 2x8

Guess I should add that the 4850 will not do Xfire with the 3300

1.5 V is nothing on those chips, each architecture and process tech is diffrent.

They use SOI 45 NM.

1.35 V is stock voltage, 0.1 V higher than a phenom 9850 Black edition (the 940 BE and 945 BE)

they could run crysis 2 cpu loops @ 4180 mhz with air.

LN 2 runs was mostly 1.95 V

they are actually very fast in games, they might not have a chance in syntetic benchmarks, games in mind, core 2 and phenom 2 to go, phenom 2 is going to push prices down alot i think, from prices that its rumored to come out @, is twice as cheap as an 2.8 ghz 9650 vs (940be@3ghz)

So as im still planning to get a AM2+ board, would it behoove me to look more at the GX and not the FX boards for best results?

Back