AMD Investor Slides Confirm 2019 CPU Releases

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
On their investor website, AMD recently published a set of slides that confirm the release of 3rd generation Ryzen and Threadripper CPUs some time in 2019. Pro variants of the 2nd generation Ryzen APUs are slated to come out this Spring, while 3rd generation Ryzen desktop processors are scheduled for a "mid-year" 2019 release.

3rd generation Threadripper CPUs didn't get a release date more specific than "2019," and AMD's 7nm "Navi" and 7nm+ "Next-Gen" GPU architectures are said to be coming sometime between now and 2020. The company also reitarated that the somewhat mysterious "Radeon Vega Mobile" GPU which, as far as I know, has only popped up as an optional upgrade in the Apple Macbook Pro, is still part of their 2019 product stack.

My body is ready for you to shut up and take my money, because I need dis...

...you guys know the drill.

I can't wait to see some real performance reviews of the new threadripper CPU's coming out! It's so exciting!

Reactions: mikeo
like this
They need a trade up program, even if its a 3-6 month purchase window. hell id be happy with a subscription service. For $100 a year you will have the latest cpu in your band level. No more having to off your old chip.

Its a nice confirmation, but I can't say I'm too pleased with the delays versus the 2018 and 2017 AMD CPU schedule.

In the past Q1 was the Ryzen AM4 lineup release date, in user hands by March/April , leaving Threadripper to debut only a few months later during the summer. Now, it seems we won't get AM4 until Mid-Year (which suggests June or later) with TR4 not showing up until possibly November / December. This is particularly bad for Threadripper in terms of pricing because unless AMD makes special arrangements, its unlikely that something released so close to the Nov/Dec holidays will be given the kind of considerable discounts/deals (black friday etc) that brought previous generations a lot of solid sales! Worse, it means that Intel will have more time to throw together competition be it on performance (pushing out something new) or price (dropping price significantly on their existing stuff right after AM4 and/or TR4 launches).

By all reports AMD finally has a chance to really strike a decisive blow against Intel, but if they wait too long they may miss their window of maximum opportunity! I've watched AMD do this before in CPU and GPU product launches and it would be frustrating to see it happen again, especially with what seems to be such a promising set of Zen2 based CPUs.

Its a nice confirmation, but I can't say I'm too pleased with the delays versus the 2018 and 2017 AMD CPU schedule.

In the past Q1 was the Ryzen AM4 lineup release date, in user hands by March/April , leaving Threadripper to debut only a few months later during the summer. Now, it seems we won't get AM4 until Mid-Year (which suggests June or later) with TR4 not showing up until possibly November / December. This is particularly bad for Threadripper in terms of pricing because unless AMD makes special arrangements, its unlikely that something released so close to the Nov/Dec holidays will be given the kind of considerable discounts/deals (black friday etc) that brought previous generations a lot of solid sales! Worse, it means that Intel will have more time to throw together competition be it on performance (pushing out something new) or price (dropping price significantly on their existing stuff right after AM4 and/or TR4 launches).

By all reports AMD finally has a chance to really strike a decisive blow against Intel, but if they wait too long they may miss their window of maximum opportunity! I've watched AMD do this before in CPU and GPU product launches and it would be frustrating to see it happen again, especially with what seems to be such a promising set of Zen2 based CPUs.

TSMC can only make so many wafers. And has to wait their turn. They then have to have those dies and the 14nm dies from GF shipped to the package location to be assembled, and the boxed and shipped to th channel.

It is a massive undertaking, and if we get the performance I think we will, it's worth the wait. Intel has nothing to counter with it. What are they going to released the magical "10nm" that has been coming any day for 8 years?

I can't wait (and before the idiot that runs the IDF shows up, I WANT Intel to come out swinging as well. It's how WE ALL WIN!)

Tick-Tock

AMD sure has a pretty solid ongoing release schedule for Ryzen.

Pretty impressive.

They need a trade up program, even if its a 3-6 month purchase window. hell id be happy with a subscription service. For $100 a year you will have the latest cpu in your band level. No more having to off your old chip.
I would pay $100 to upgrade every year. Hmm. That's a great idea!

I would pay $100 to upgrade every year. Hmm. That's a great idea!
Why hasn't it been done, it is really not that good an idea.
For ryzen it think it will slightly under preform Intel's current offerings at a much more reasonable price. All the waiting was for nothing.

Why hasn't it been done, it is really not that good an idea.
For ryzen it think it will slightly under preform Intel's current offerings at a much more reasonable price. All the waiting was for nothing.

I want to see Ryzen/EPYC out perform. Or perform in Parity to the Intel offering. But here's the deal. There WILL be specific instruction sets that Intel has that will out perform AMD. AND there will be AMD instruction sets that will out perform Intel.

I also want to see both generations (whatever is intel's current and AMD's current) performance with all security patches in place that are applicable on both platforms.

This will give us a true performance metric to go by. And really in my opinion this should be revisited quarterly with the pace of performance impacting security patches being released.

6 months ago Intel was a clear leader in ESXi host technology for performance per CPU.

Now.... not so much due to the hyper threading 'fix' from Vmware disabling the hyper threaded cores.

Reactions: filip
like this
I want to see Ryzen/EPYC out perform. Or perform in Parity to the Intel offering. But here's the deal. There WILL be specific instruction sets that Intel has that will out perform AMD. AND there will be AMD instruction sets that will out perform Intel.

I also want to see both generations (whatever is intel's current and AMD's current) performance with all security patches in place that are applicable on both platforms.

This will give us a true performance metric to go by. And really in my opinion this should be revisited quarterly with the pace of performance impacting security patches being released.

6 months ago Intel was a clear leader in ESXi host technology for performance per CPU.

Now.... not so much due to the hyper threading 'fix' from Vmware disabling the hyper threaded cores.
I agree but ill keep my prediction for launch, under slightly according to reviews and that will set the tone for sales.

lol i mean, yes that would be awesome, but why on earth would they every do that??????

lol i mean, yes that would be awesome, but why on earth would they every do that??????

I see it loosely as a lease. You buy the first but can trade it in for a $100 fee when the next upgrade comes out. When they change motherboard designs, then you buy the next CPU full price. Then yearly you pay a fee until they change motherboards again. If you don't upgrade each year, then you're out of the step up program until you purchase a new CPU.

AMD could resell the old silicon as refurbs or give them to schools to teach IT to students. Heck sell them to PC users in poor countries for a fourth of the price.

I'd trade in my 1700 for a 2700x if the fee was $150.

I see it loosely as a lease. You buy the first but can trade it in for a $100 fee when the next upgrade comes out. When they change motherboard designs, then you buy the next CPU full price. Then yearly you pay a fee until they change motherboards again. If you don't upgrade each year, then you're out of the step up program until you purchase a new CPU.

AMD could resell the old silicon as refurbs or give them to schools to teach IT to students. Heck sell them to PC users in poor countries for a fourth of the price.

I'd trade in my 1700 for a 2700x if the fee was $150.

That really doesn't make any sense.

Software subscription works because the actual unit production cost of SW is near ZERO. So it really costs them nothing to keep giving you upgrades for your subscription prices.

OTOH, Actual CPU production costs are actually quite high, so they have to pay for every CPU they give anyone in a subscription service.

It's a huge hassle and cost dealing with all the CPU returns (they would need to test them to see if they work properly, etc...).

If this is such a great idea, start a business that offers this service. I pretty guarantee, that is a failing business idea.

Software subscription works because the actual unit production cost of SW is near ZERO. So it really costs them nothing to keep giving you upgrades for your subscription prices.

OTOH, Actual CPU production costs are actually quite high, so they have to pay for every CPU they give anyone in a subscription service.

It's a huge hassle and cost dealing with all the CPU returns (they would need to test them to see if they work properly, etc...).

If this is such a great idea, start a business that offers this service. I pretty guarantee, that is a failing business idea.

Well, admittedly I can't see it working with anyone besides an Intel, AMD, or similar chip-designer due to cost. No third party would be able to have the resources and knowledge (of costs) necessary to do so and expect any sort of return, not to mention having to dole out cash to AMD, Intel, or the fabs themselves.

It very well may not work even with AMD/Intel themselves but it all depends on the actual costs of fabrication and "processing" of old tech for reuse/resale etc. Then again, maybe it would be a net benefit for AMD/Intel to the point where it is worth it, especially once you take things like tax breaks and donation values into account? Consider how many users in the enthusiast (or even some business) markets that do not upgrade every iteration; we have people here hanging onto their Sandy Bridge to Haswell level chips, or sticking with 1st gen Ryzen etc. CPU companies could pick up more frequent upgrades with a policy as described, meaning they could make more money from the users in such a program - as opposed to a single $399 chip bought every 3+ years, they could get a $150 upgrade every year for instance, consistently. This could be further encouraged by having a program where upgrading from the most recent was the cheapest so to speak, so it might lose value to skip. This is to say nothing for what is done when it comes to reselling, donating, or otherwise making use of "used" hardware.

Lets not forget that we've seen well-heeled businesses do things that would be fiscally untenable for anyone else to do, for one reason or another. Sometimes its a long term goal such as crushing the competition (ie Amazon and Microsoft are good examples here) other times its to capitalize on certain loopholes and other financial kickbacks. Its like a company rolling several local and international shell corps/holdings corps, and perhaps a related subsidiary "charity" - Those who have enough money to shuffle around in the shell game can do it and come out on top, but average workers living paycheck to paycheck and need most of their assets liquid can't.

Last edited:

Well it depends on how much it costs to make a CPU. Let's say hypothetically the new Ryzen was designed with chiplets where it had a total of 16 cores in each. And they disable a couple of connections to make a 14, 12, or 10 core CPU. 8 and below would be a different architecture so there would need to be 2 step up programs.

How much more does the 10 core cost to manufacture than the 16 core? If you keep making one chip; doesn't the price go down over time? Now if every CPU is different then sure it could get dicey.

I guess you could say that they would be better off to not allow a step up program to exist as I should just spend the $300+ for a new chip! I'm NOT going to spend another $300+ to upgrade so they miss out on a sale. But I would at $150.

EVGA has a step up program and I don't see them going out of business. I assume they check their video cards when people send them in before reselling them as refurbished. I guess that's what they would do with them; I have no idea. How hard could it be to have a guy plugging the chips into a tester to see if they work? I would think a video card would be harder to test and refurbish than a CPU.

Just my opinion. :)

EVGA has a step up program and I don't see them going out of business. I assume they check their video cards when people send them in before reselling them as refurbished. I guess that's what they would do with them; I have no idea. How hard could it be to have a guy plugging the chips into a tester to see if they work? I would think a video card would be harder to test and refurbish than a CPU.

EVGAs program has restrictions and you pay the difference, not a flat fee, and you only have 90 days to opt in. Something the vast majority won't do. So the scale of it is massively different.

AMD could offer an EVGA style program and the logistics wouldn't be as bad, because most people wouldn't take them up on it.

But 100$ subscription to continually get new CPUs. That's a money loser for certain. Unless you are limiting to CPUs that cost $99-$150...

Do you want a step-up? OK, do this:

1 Buy a Ryzen 1700 for $300 from retailer of your choosing
2 Ryzen 2700 is introduced
sell the Ryzen 1700 on [H] For Sale / Trade for $150​
3 Buy the Ryzen 2700 for $300, using $150 from the trade and $150 out of pocket
4 Ryzen 3700 is introduced…
…Sell the Ryzen 2700 for $150…​

That's the best you're going to get

AMD stock needs a bump. Let's get these chips on the market generating some revenue soon.
BTW - I saw that Microcenter had the 2700X for $270 (might have been with a mobo bundle). That's hard to resist! Must wait for new chips...

EVGAs program has restrictions and you pay the difference, not a flat fee, and you only have 90 days to opt in. Something the vast majority won't do. So the scale of it is massively different.

AMD could offer an EVGA style program and the logistics wouldn't be as bad, because most people wouldn't take them up on it.

But 100$ subscription to continually get new CPUs. That's a money loser for certain. Unless you are limiting to CPUs that cost $99-$150...
Well the CPU 2700X can be found for $299. A 1700 is $159. So how is paying $150 to step up a terrible idea? It sure doesn't cost AMD $150 to make an eight core CPU is it is sold for $159 right? :)

That's a great idea in general, but not for CPU's.... they already have leases for desktops and servers through OEM's such as Dell and Lenovo. It makes almost zero sense to do leasing on a CPU... especially since the board and memory and other components are going to be constantly changing.

That's a great idea in general, but not for CPU's.... they already have leases for desktops and servers through OEM's such as Dell and Lenovo. It makes almost zero sense to do leasing on a CPU... especially since the board and memory and other components are going to be constantly changing.
Until AMD switches to a new motherboard design, my almost launch day motherboard still works with AMD's newest CPUs. Intel is the one that changes motherboards every cycle. :)

Until AMD switches to a new motherboard design, my almost launch day motherboard still works with AMD's newest CPUs. Intel is the one that changes motherboards every cycle. :)
It "works" with an asterisk. AMD also changes motherboard/chipset every cycle in recent times, and a new gen CPU installed on a older gen MB will miss out on certain features, or you won't get the most out of the CPU. There's always gotchas - like the memory having to run lower than it's rated speed etc.

Intel OTOH has only put a boundary every-other chipset. Meaning 6 and 7 series CPUs work on Z170, 8 and 9 series work on Z370.

AMD still has the edge overall in terms of being able to drop a Gen 3 CPU on a Gen 1 MB and it will boot up, boot Intel CPUs don't *need* the latest chipset boards at least in more recent times.

Last edited:
Back