AMD Introduces New Professional Graphics Vision and Strategy

HardOCP News

[H] News
At an exclusive event for some of the world’s top artists, designers and engineers, AMD today unveiled powerful new solutions to address modern content creation and engineering: the new Radeon™ Pro WX Series of professional graphics cards. The new brand, targeting ten million professional graphics users, harnesses the award-winning Polaris architecture and is designed to deliver exceptional capabilities for the immersive computing era. Transformational inflection points are changing the way content is created:
  • Rise of real-time game engines
  • Emergence of virtual reality
  • Popularity of new low-overhead APIs, such as DirectX® 12 and Vulkan™
  • Trends to open-source tools and applications, evidenced by the Radeon Open Compute platform, and today’s announcement of Radeon ProRender
The new Radeon Pro WX Series of professional graphics cards represent a revolutionary approach for professionals rooted in a commitment to open, non-proprietary software and high performing, feature-rich hardware that empowers people to truly create “the art of the impossible”.

Too bad. We just built a workstation with a quadro m4000 at work. And when I say 'too bad', I mean it's because we didn't need to pull the trigger on building it just yet. Could have waited and either go better hardware and/or a better price.

This is the far more interesting AMD professional card that you didn't cover.

Radeon Pro Solid State Graphics keeps big data close to the GPU

1TB local nvme storage makes for faster render times when your workload vastly exceeds local DRAM size, because of the lower latency having storage on-board. This is the first innovative professional product I've seen from AMD in years and could potentially move to xpoint in the future.

I can only wonder the gaming applications of the SSG tech once it trickles down in future generations. Imagine being able to load an entire game's worth of levels along with fully uncompressed 8kX8k textures when devs write their games to take full advantage of the ultra low latency local Terabyte SSD storage.

I can see this also being really useful for MMOs, you would no longer need to slowly stream levels and use cheats like fog to clip drag distances to mask texture pop-in, with an SSG like video card you could load an entire fully textured continent.

Last edited:
Did I miss something, or was there no mention of any details on the hardware, other than form factor and "Polaris" ?
Oh, and "expected to be available" later this year, that's always encouraging.

"'AMD has crystalized a clear strategy to drive the democratization of content creation,' said Jon Peddie." LOL. I wonder what he got paid to write that, and how many hours it took him to come up with it. It's so content-free, he can't be wrong.

Honestly i see very little use for gaming, but for the oil & gas industry? Godsend. I mean, i consider this a semi custom solution, it is on beta since well, they want to see if someone else really have the type of workload that is greatly benefited from this.

pcgeekesq this is currently being sold in a beta state to developers for 10k so they can test programming directly to the solution and see if their industry needs it or not, it is actually expected for 2017.

^^ Disregard the second part, i thought that you were talking of the Solid State solution :p sorry mate.

The fact that this was announced as a Polaris chip makes the idea of Vega coming out any time soon a real pipe-dream.

The fact that this was announced as a Polaris chip makes the idea of Vega coming out any time soon a real pipe-dream.
Nah, they normally announce their pro variant right after the consumer variant releases.

Yep. For sure.
LOL!
I hope you make your 5000 post worth reading. For posterity please!

Not sure I follow..?

Nah, they normally announce their pro variant right after the consumer variant releases.

It's not the WX series that has me worried, The WX series looks great, and its par for the course to launch the enterprise/workstation products after the consumer products have run amok for a bit. What concerns me more is the 'sooper dooper ground-breaking prototype extreme disruptive tech' SSG that will be made available at the end of the year using (at that point) 7 month-old silicon instead of Vega. They aren't 'Launching' the SSG as a product the same way they 'Launched' the WX series. They are announcing a crazy, not-yet-ready-for-the-world prototype. I'll ask you this: If AMD actually HAD engineering samples and prototype boards of VEGA GPUs, wouldn't you think they would try to put them on their crazy, news-making prototype disruptive product? It would make the product that much more newsworthy. Hell, they could have even FAKED IT with pre-rendered demos if they were confident that they would have a handful of Vega GPUs by the time this product actually does come out (late Q4 16). The fact that they didn't tells me that they DON'T have Vega engineering samples, they DON'T have Vega prototype boards, and they DON'T have confidence that Vega will be ready by the end of the year.

Ok well since you put a bit more into WHY you were worried I understand. But keep in mind they won't announce a vega product like this until they announce vega itself. There is some room for hope!

Back