AMD? Intel?

the amd's are kick ass but intel has jsut about released dual cores which are really bad ass, i cant wait for amd's dual cores

il recomend a 3500 if your on a budget, 4000 if you could afford it

But are Intel's faster ? I see they've got 3.4 ghz processors, I think the highest I've seen with AMD was 2.4

I will quote myself for fun:

Q: I need an analogy to explain the difference between AMD and Intel

A: Think of it as a pick-up vs. semi. Some rigs can hit 100MPH with 40 tons, while a pick-up could hit about 150MPH with 1 ton. The pickup is able to make more runs back and forth because it is faster than the rig, but it hauls less each time around

MHz means nothing.

it really does depend on what you're doing...but more likely than not, an AMD will fit you

no offense to you or anything..but "fans" seriously need to learn what they're being fans off ;)

I remember there was this really cool saying:

It was something like:
AMD might be slower, but per each round it makes it carries more info. While Intel may be faster but carries less for each round.

I think it was by far the best way to differentiate the two.

Mhz is meaning less and less now.

Typically its AMD = Games
Intel = Multi-Tasking.

All in all, they compete, and we Win.

I own Intel, and right now AMD is definitely better for the money, but the new Intel roadmap looks very promising after about Q3 05.

I have a P4 3.06 hyperthreading and a Athlon xp 2.4. The P4 has a gig of rdram and the Athlon has 256mb of ddr. The P4 is slightly faster but not that you'd notice for most apps. The P4 folds protiens faster and is faster in photoshop but that is probably due to ram difference and the difference in proc speed between them. They start up from complete shutdown within a couple seconds of each other.

Class1 said:
I have a P4 3.06 hyperthreading and a Athlon xp 2.4. The P4 has a gig of rdram and the Athlon has 256mb of ddr. The P4 is slightly faster but not that you'd notice for most apps. The P4 folds protiens faster and is faster in photoshop but that is probably due to ram difference and the difference in proc speed between them. They start up from complete shutdown within a couple seconds of each other.

the reason the P4 folds faster is cuz it can multi task like crazy where as with an athlon teh moment you start doign anything it slows the folding process down but my 2.5 (2.6 when i want it to be) can fold quite a bit faster then my dads 3.2ghz P4 (we both have a gig of ram) but dads can fold really fast even when your on the pc but my athlon can fold really good but you cant touch it while its doing it, like i can go to bed whiel its startign a 400 and it can get about 250 done in about the 7 hours im asleep where as the P4 gets about 160 out of 400

my amd can multi task...

have these things opened right now

flash mx 2004
dreamweaver mx 2004
photoshop
winamp
aim
5 ie windows
gta3
and im watching tv on one of my other monitors...

its not any slower than it is when i just have one thing running... can ht be all that great? i mean.. this thing feels as fast as ever with all that crap opened :D

So what are some of the main factors in a good processor? I was always under the impression - the more hertz the better..

Sven_Lee said:
So what are some of the main factors in a good processor? I was always under the impression - the more hertz the better..

Thats because you have been Intel-ized. Them and their mass advertisments. Woowee.
I really wouldnt be able to tell you the Major factors, as I do not know for sure either. I just do research and read article upon article with comparisons. Though..interestingly enough I have always gone AMD.

for all practical purposes, performance = IPC * speed
since the athlons (especially the a64) have a far higher ipc (instructions per clock) then the intel, they can get the same performance at a much lower clock speed.
there are some drawbacks and benefits to this..
things that need a lot of streaming data (think of everything intel is typically good at) like having the high clock speed, but other things that really need number crunching power and low latencies tend to like the high ipc of the athlons

MHz means nothing. The best processor out there that I know of is the IBM POWER 5, which is dual core and dual thread, and clocked at 1.5GHz max.

Back