AMD hires Nvidia Marketing 10 year veteran!

Have you checked the latest AotS benches with the 1080?

I was withholding judgment until I saw some benches, and the numbers are just downright ugly.

I would certainly hope the new GPU flagship GPU is better than their previous generation of products. This is a major node shrink and is to be expected.

Still does not explain the lack of hard information at an official product unveiling which to me is more telling than some benches which were expected to be better than existing GPUs.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Well one person ain't going to shit with devs you need infrastructure to support dev teams, one person can do how many projects at once? I don't care how good a person is, its the time a person can allocate, you only have 24 hours in a day.
Sometimes one person is allowed to hire people...

I would certainly hope the new GPU flagship GPU is better than their previous generation of products. This is a major node shrink and is to be expected.

Still does not explain the lack of hard information at an official product unveiling which to me is more telling than some benches which were expected to be better than existing GPUs.

Here's my concerns based on the rumor mills.

NVidia kept Pascal performance close to the vest until product launch. Now that it has happened, it appears the 1070 is actually better than a Titan and a 980TI, based on what we know so far, yet nothing has been independently verified.

Then you have rumors that Polaris 10, AMD's top end chip for this year, will be performing at a level a bit under a 980TI.

If everything we've been told hold true, the only AMD card that comes close to competing is the Radeon Pro Duo, which actually hangs onto its title as fasted card on the planet, but by the slimmest of margins and at twice the cost.

The pricing that really concerns me is actually the 1070 - if it is indeed faster than a titan, it is also priced around the alleged Polaris 11 sweet spot, meaning you have 2 similarly priced cards, one slightly faster than a Titan, and one slower than a 980 TI from AMD. It basically kills AMD's guerilla warfare plan to capture the low to mid range market before it can even start, which means there is no competition, and no savings really passed on to us.

Again, until sites like H actually get their hands on cards and review, none of this really means anything - agreed on that.

But there's enough smoke here that there might be a fire and AMD would be the one getting burned. Not unless there is something AMD is holding really close to the vest and is planning to blindside Nvidia with (dual Polaris on a single card at a budget pricepoint?). But can't really count on that.

I was hoping for a new round of card wars with price drops included. Just doesn't seem like its going to go that way though.

We also have rumours saying 1080 will only be 30% faster than the ti. Might wanna add that into your calculation.

We also have rumours saying 1080 will only be 30% faster than the ti. Might wanna add that into your calculation.

True.

Is there any word on the street date of the Nvidia cards? Do we know if, unlike AMD, Nvidia provided some samples to [H] for testing?

Waste of time, GPUs are solidly about performance, not marketing.

That is a lot of rumors, which are usually tied to a given Marketing Department for viral marketing and other tactics. These people are paid to create smoke, "un-named sources" just screams viral marketing.

We have a couple of benches showing performance increases we were expecting, again a basic Marketing move.

Then you have no real specifications at a product unveiling, which again indicates the Marketing Department is weighing in heavily, for some reason. I am very curious what this reason may be.

Have you checked the latest AotS benches with the 1080?

I was withholding judgment until I saw some benches, and the numbers are just downright ugly.

I posted about this in the 1080 benchmark thread Gtx 1080 benchmarked:
---------------------------------------------------
The AoTS is probably going to pop up in many threads now it is being mentioned by online publications, so feel free to copy-paste-change bits of this to whatever thread you want:

OK no idea if this changed (I doubt it) since beginning of September 2015.
Kollock at Oxide went on record to say:
Personally, I think one could just as easily make the claim that we were biased toward Nvidia as the only 'vendor' specific code is for Nvidia where we had to shutdown async compute. By vendor specific, I mean a case where we look at the Vendor ID and make changes to our rendering path. Curiously, their driver reported this feature was functional but attempting to use it was an unmitigated disaster in terms of performance and conformance so we shut it down on their hardware. As far as I know, Maxwell doesn't really have Async Compute so I don't know why their driver was trying to expose that. The only other thing that is different between them is that Nvidia does fall into Tier 2 class binding hardware instead of Tier 3 like AMD which requires a little bit more CPU overhead in D3D12, but I don't think it ended up being very significant. This isn't a vendor specific path, as it's responding to capabilities the driver reports.

From our perspective, one of the surprising things about the results is just how good Nvidia's DX11 perf is. But that's a very recent development, with huge CPU perf improvements over the last month. Still, DX12 CPU overhead is still far far better on Nvidia, and we haven't even tuned it as much as DX11.

So why would one expect a close NVIDIA partner lab-developer with an engineering sample (date is before the Pascal event and 1080s being given out) to test with AoTS and DX12?
Where are the performance result leaks for VR or another game with benchmarks that utilise NVIDIA technology?
The last two are more likely to be seen by such an employee with an engineering sample IMO.

Anyway, if the above quote has not changed, then testing in AoTS is currently pointless, and importantly has implications that multiple DX12 paths will be required to differentiate between Pascal and Maxwell-Kepler in games not just AoTS.
So patches will be needed and not just driver updates.
Cheers
Cheers

Last edited:
Sometimes one person is allowed to hire people...

The question is do they have the resources to do so. With China deal and spinning off packaging that might give them the resources if they allocate them to their dev department, but as we have seen in the past hey haven't done it when they had the resources, hopefully management changes will remedy this.

The question is do they have the resources to do so. With China deal and spinning off packaging that might give them the resources if they allocate them to their dev department, but as we have seen in the past hey haven't done it when they had the resources, hopefully management changes will remedy this.
That's a much better thing to worry about. Still I'll imagine she's going to have some power to refocus her department.

Well just from my experience working at large corporations, a department has to show they are capable of bringing in the money based on past experiences and projections before they are allocated the budget to expand. Which takes place usually after restructuring of that group. So yeah its a start, I think if they can get 3 or 4 people on board, that would cover 10-15 games/apps per year which is pretty much marquee games for an entire year. Seems plausible.

Yeah thats my experience as well, but sometimes when a company is hurting they become more willing to take risky actions like shaking up departments,

Yeah thats my experience as well, but sometimes when a company is hurting they become more willing to take risky actions like shaking up departments,
I think AMD fired most of their marketing 2 years or so ago.

The thing is what is marketing in AMD case, the products are in general okay. You can not expect that marketing will turn AMD around that is very unrealistic.

I think AMD fired most of their marketing 2 years or so ago.

The thing is what is marketing in AMD case, the products are in general okay. You can not expect that marketing will turn AMD around that is very unrealistic.

My hope is, the new person is smarter with marketing. Seems to be AMD usually over markets and under-performs. Part of marketing is hype, but also managing expectations correctly, and AMD has failed at delivering. Maybe this newer Marketing person can market the products appropriately, leading to more acceptance.

My hope is, the new person is smarter with marketing. Seems to be AMD usually over markets and under-performs. Part of marketing is hype, but also managing expectations correctly, and AMD has failed at delivering. Maybe this newer Marketing person can market the products appropriately, leading to more acceptance.

But marketing is such a general term it could also mean that it is meant for a different segment that they would like to have a higher profile towards other businesses or catered towards specific needs rather then general/gaming public.

3 week NDA?

Doubtful, but if that's the case get ready for a flood of leaks.

Actually get ready for a flood of "leaks" anyways given that nvidia didn't really say much of specs anything at their unveiling.

its definilty the 17th but I think the reason for this is cause the first cards to be released will be the founder's edition and later reference cards by other vendors, all of this because of the mass production of GDDR5x.

So nV being nV is trying to capitalize on the quick buyers......

Gold diggers.....

At least we have a solid date for when we should expect to be reading reviews. Polaris two weeks later eh? Now is the time to sell.

I have exclusive footage of her first day walking into AMD's marketing dept:

BI9grsB.gif
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Back