AMD Hawaii-based graphics cards to mass ship in October

Not relevant for me. My cards are already faster than Titan stock and I don't have any games requiring more horse power. Good purchase for HD 7970/GTX 670 or below users.

Agree 100%. I can't see why anybody would dump 780's for 290X's. I think realistically all AMD can hope for is replacing the 780 on people's wish list. Not pry them from their fingers. ;)

Agree 100%. I can't see why anybody would dump 780's for 290X's. I think realistically all AMD can hope for is replacing the 780 on people's wish list. Not pry them from their fingers. ;)

BF4 never settle bundle and 290x might be the deal for many to go for.

Not relevant for me. My cards are already faster than Titan stock and I don't have any games requiring more horse power.

Agree 100%. I can't see why anybody would dump 780's for 290X's

Do you guys think car manufacturers release their new models trying to get people who bought a new car six months ago to replace it with their model?

Exaggerated for effect. I'm just saying I find this whole line of reasoning ridiculous.

So good input there on not being in the market for a new card. Two thumbs up!

Do you guys think car manufacturers release their new models trying to get people who bought a new car six months ago to replace it with their model?

Exaggerated for effect. I'm just saying I find this whole line of reasoning ridiculous.

some actually do that with cars.
Beyond me tho.

I would guess the 7850/7850 owners or 7900 series would find this a good upgrade, and those going for Bf4. the 290 card since there likely be a lesser one along the X version might be a top seller.

Nope. I think I said exactly the same thing you did.

most people don't upgrade cards every generation (even on an enthusiast site like [H])...maybe every other generation or every die shrink...my GTX 580 is due for an upgrade and this looks like a potentially great one

it all depends on R290x OC headroom and performance scaling. given the excellent bandwidth and performance at high res and high AA it looks to be a better card than GTX 780. moreover the crowd which spends USD 600 on the graphics card does it for the following reasons - performance and a lot of chest thumping. so if R290x voltage OC is significantly faster than GTX 780 voltage OC i would not be surprised to see people sell the GTX 780s cards and go for R290x.

for multi GPU AMD needs to prove that frame pacing phase 2 driver brings them to a competitive level against Nvidia. Until then Nvidia continues to have the edge.

most people don't upgrade cards every generation (even on an enthusiast site like [H])...maybe every other generation or every die shrink...my GTX 580 is due for an upgrade and this looks like a potentially great one

yeah this card seems to be a perfect upgrade for GTX 580 users providing close to 1.8x - 2x the performance and 2.65x the VRAM at USD 100 more than the original launch price of GTX 580 and same price as GTX 580 3GB. the very fact that it comes with massive 4GB VRAM is enough to justify the USD 600 price point, not to forget the close to 1.8 - 2x increase in perf.

Last edited:
Some of those rumors say it uses "slightly less power than Titan", which I guess we can safely assume is 5-10% less. Worst case scenario, we're getting a card which is 30-50% faster than a 7970 with the same power draw.

if it's 600 dollars and includes a copy of BF4 -- I'll buy two.

Currently running two 7970's -- just upgraded to a 1440p monitor, do I "need" the latest generation of AMD hardware? Nope, but if I sell my 7970's that's a good chunk of money to put towards a 600 dollars GPU.

Very interested in the compute performance as well since i'm very big into Litecoin mining. (as big as one can be with 4 GPU's in 2 boxes) heh

Some of those rumors say it uses "slightly less power than Titan", which I guess we can safely assume is 5-10% less. Worst case scenario, we're getting a card which is 30-50% faster than a 7970 with the same power draw.

Yup I was doing the math earlier this morning -- 40% more shaders vs 7970, so I'm going to assume a 40% bump in performance vs a single 7970.

Of course the bud width helps performance too, and whatever other little tricks and tweaks they have done. But that's what I put my money on, 40% bump with marginal savings in power.

BF4 never settle bundle and 290x might be the deal for many to go for.

noo Bundle it with Watch Dogs
much better next gen game to show off the card then another silly modern combat shooter

noo Bundle it with Watch Dogs
much better next gen game to show off the card then another silly modern combat shooter

Wishful thinking, but might not happen off the bat. AMD is the official hardware partner of BF4.

The failure is on the people who willingly paid $500 for a card they considered a mid range SKU and then blamed AMD.

I blamed AMD that the card was $500- but I still bought GTX670s, because they were faster (at the time), quieter, and actually worked for multi-GPU, which I use for 1600p, unlike the pair of 2GB HD6950s they replaced.

I'm looking forward to this card and I hope it will not be overhyped. 512-bit memory bus seems nice, maybe the first step towards stable 60fps at 4K ? I also hope this includes HDMI 2.0 and a reference blower-style cooler, which is in the neighbourhood of the Titan cooler's performance.

Agreed- this is what I'm looking for in a top-end video card cooler. Especially if I find I need three for 4k for the games I play.

Offtopic: He was advocating 8GB for new cards in this topic because the next-gen consoles have more memory, he won't quit about it so we best leave it or this topic will also fall apart into another "IdiotInCharge demands more VRAM"-topic.

I'm not the only one who believes this, by far :). But 4GB is a little disappointing, really. Still, it means that making an 8GB card would be quick and easy, and that's exactly what I'm looking for. In the thread you linked above, I didn't even consider a 512bit memory controller- the idea seemed absurd, and it still kind of does, but I'm definitely not complaining!

Not upgrading every generation?

Need to change this to oftForum!

The last generation of card released nearly 2 years ago. Time for an upgrade!

I care more about OpenCL performance (not much of a gamer). I'm curious what sort of performance increases we'll see over the 7970, which currently leads the pack for single GPUs (e.g. http://compubench.com/result.jsp)

Haha I'm more anxious to see the folding performance myself. In the era of 780/Titan's pulling in 150-200K it's raising even more interest in high-end gaming cards than ever before.

thats not even a relevant comparison. I cannot shell 50k to upgrade my car and take depreciation. I can, however replace my cards to play with new hardware and take the 100 usd per card hit.

I'm honestly disappointed. With this level of performance there is no way in hell nvidia is gonna bother touching the prices of titan/780, unless Ati really sells it under 400€... :mad:

650 isnt bad if its faster then a 780 and in the ballpark of a Titan
more so if it has 4GB of ram on it i can live with the 650 price

I disagree. AMD can't charge what Nvidia does. I would consider a pair of these cards if the price is right but I would be giving up quite a few features that I use regularly with Nvidia.

Nvidia does offer better software and end user support than AMD. AMD can't sell a card at the same price at similar performance and expect their product to sell well.

Thats exactly why Tahiti did so poorly for the first few months.

I'm honestly disappointed. With this level of performance there is no way in hell nvidia is gonna bother touching the prices of titan/780, unless Ati really sells it under 400€... :mad:

I thought the leaked slides (whether true or not) looked promising.

I disagree. AMD can't charge what Nvidia does. I would consider a pair of these cards if the price is right but I would be giving up quite a few features that I use regularly with Nvidia.

Nvidia does offer better software and end user support than AMD. AMD can't sell a card at the same price at similar performance and expect their product to sell well.

quite a few features?

physx is the only thing I can think of that separates the two, and I guess I don't know what end user support means, as my experience with both companies has been pretty much identical.

I've said it before, NV doesn't get into price wars these days, probably because people still buy their product despite the premium. There's been a $100 gap between the 7970 and 680 GTX for a long time. 7970 is better performing in most games and has more VRAM yet it still wasn't enough for NV to budge...

Only way NV will drop prices is if people stop buying their cards and go AMD.

I'm a little disappointed in the rumored price, but my hopes were a bit unrealistic in the first place. I've never been interested in the Titan so I'm looking at this card in comparison to the 780. Right now the leaked slides show a card that:
- has been pre-overclocked by the reviewer
- beats what I'm assuming is a stock 780 in most situations
- is rumored to cost $600-$650

If this card ends up $500-$550 I'll stay up late on release night like a methed-out nerd and buy it. If it's really $600-$650 I'll have to weigh this against a used 780. If it includes BF4 that's essentially $60 off for me so that'll help sway me. Guess I'll see once official info rolls out. Either way I'm excited for reviews.

quite a few features?

physx is the only thing I can think of that separates the two, and I guess I don't know what end user support means, as my experience with both companies has been pretty much identical.

SGSSAA, OGSSAA, transparency aa that doesn't come at a massive performance hit and works in almost any game where MSAA does, 3d vision, txaa, completely microstutter free. For the most part better compatibility (ie opengl).

Then there are the representitives that are active on the forums working with their customers.

Yeah, nvidia offers more flexibility and I'm willing to pay a little more for that.

I like AMD's RGSSAA. I just wish that it worked in more titles. They also need to work on transparency aa since it comes at a massive hit if it even works at all. Those are my big two gripes.

SGSSAA, OGSSAA, transparency aa that doesn't come at a massive performance hit and works in almost any game where MSAA does, 3d vision, txaa, completely microstutter free. For the most part better compatibility (ie opengl).

Then there are the representitives that are active on the forums working with their customers.

Yeah, nvidia offers more flexibility and I'm willing to pay a little more for that.

I like AMD's RGSSAA. I just wish that it worked in more titles. They also need to work on transparency aa since it comes at a massive hit if it even works at all. Those are my big two gripes.

You all keep forgetting Lightboost...

It will be my first amd video card card purchase...and hopefully not the last....like was mentioned earlier...if its no more than 650 and includes bf4 it will should be an easy purchase to justify especially if the leaked slides are true

Well, I don't really care about 20 different ways to apply anti-aliasing, sli is not microstutter free, and Nvidia seems to have way more shills on forums trying to influence buyers.

so ya, maybe 3d, but that makes me nauseous and is a gimmick anyways, so I guess we will just disagree.

If I'm going to spend a grand on video cards I'm going to want to take advantage of the power. You may want to do some research on what those AA settings are and how they improve the image quality of the games that you play. IMO, if you're buying high end video cards you're crazy not to take advantage of these settings. If you don't care about image quality why do you need high end video cards to begin with?

Just because you don't like something you haven't used much doesn't make it a gimick. I also assume that you haven't used Nvidia 3d vision or any game that uses proper stereoscopic 3d, like Trine 2 or tomb raider (even on AMD).

Also I'm not talking about shills that afaik nvidia no longer uses. I'm talking about proper support on their own forum.

As of now you can post on OCN and cross your fingers and hope that Thracks might respond. Thats about all the support that you'll get from AMD. Its something that I've always complained about. Thats also one of the things that I loved about OCZ. Proper customer service really can change people's opinions on a situation and on a product in general. I don't understand why AMD doesn't hire a person or two to communicate on their own forum.

Also, yes sli is mostly microstutter free at this point aside from the rare compatibility issues. As of now sli tends to be a smoother experience. Its been well documented.

You can close your eyes to this sort of thing but that doesn't help AMD's bottom line. These are all things that they should consider working on if they want to charge what Nvidia does. If they don't they're going to have to continue to undercut the competition as much as possible.

TXAA is great. in games that dont support it, I just smear vaseline on the screen for the same effect.

Especially since SMAA blows TXAA out of the water.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, ok.

Also smaa or txaa for that matter is no replacement for real anti-aliasing techniques. I use SGSSAA whenever possible. I also really liked AMD's RGSSAA. I just wish that it worked in more titles.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, ok.

Also smaa or txaa for that matter is no replacement for real anti-aliasing techniques. I use SGSSAA whenever possible. I also really liked AMD's RGSSAA. I just wish that it worked in more titles.

I like to use SGSSAA where ever I can but it's pretty costly. At any point where I can't use SGSSAA however I almost always just switch to SMAA (maybe with 2xMSAA to compliment), I just can't justify the huge performance hit you get from running high level MSAA these days when SMAA looks more or less on par, does the whole scene and costs next to nothing.

I'm disappointed. I expected at least 8 or 16 gigs of vram. This crap is ridiculous. How can I future proof my computer with such trash? Guess I'll wait for Nvidia's Mega Titan with 12 gigs of vram to smoke this piece of crap. :D

there not a Titan costs closer to 1100 bucks after tax
if this is as fast as a Titan then 650 isnt a bad price

Back