AMD [H]ardOCP GamExperience - July 16

Isn't Dead Space 2 wicked on 3 screens? I've got a little clip of my rig playing Dead Space 2 on youtube.

(Don't know why the youtube video is getting imbedded or if it is allowed. Do a channel search for "claytonjones006" and you'll find my video)

Black Ops was pretty good on 3 screens as well but I suck at multiplayer. Next time you have one of these I'm going to need to make the trip down from Ohio to meet some of you guys.

Both Dead Space games were very nicely supported on Eyefinity / Surround setups. Call of Duty Black Ops support for it was virtually unusable. Thankfully we have the Widescreen Fixer utility to resolve those issues and make the game playable.

Yeah without that widescreen fixer it would have not been playable for very long.

Question for you Dan. How far away do you sit from your 30" screens? I think I'm sitting too close to mine because it's hard to see the side screens (hard to see more than about 1/4 of them easily).

Yeah without that widescreen fixer it would have not been playable for very long.

Question for you Dan. How far away do you sit from your 30" screens? I think I'm sitting too close to mine because it's hard to see the side screens (hard to see more than about 1/4 of them easily).

I sit probably 2 1/2 to 3' away from them. I can barely see the edges of the flanking 30s. Really 30s are a bit wide for a 3 x 1 landscape setup. But there aren't really many if any stands that can make switching to 3 x 1 portrait mode easy.

Okay so I don't feel too bad. That's about where I'm sitting. I'm moving to a new place soon and thinking about wall mounting them and building a custom rig to make them highly height adjustable and be able to put them in portrait mode as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Okay so I don't feel too bad. That's about where I'm sitting. I'm moving to a new place soon and thinking about wall mounting them and building a custom rig to make them highly height adjustable and be able to put them in portrait mode as well. Thanks for the feedback.

I may get some steel and some vesa mounts to build my own stands for them. I do have a MIG welder in my garage after all.

I sit probably 2 1/2 to 3' away from them. I can barely see the edges of the flanking 30s. Really 30s are a bit wide for a 3 x 1 landscape setup. But there aren't really many if any stands that can make switching to 3 x 1 portrait mode easy.
I have the same problem with my 27"s

well... I would love to play in portrait... but TN's look like crap if you rotate them...
I have thought about building my own stand as others on the forum have done.

MIG welder... jealous...

gamertags
bc2 patriot07
Bops patriot

Is that one small table with three tablets the only mobile representation? I am in the market for a tablet like the Asus Transformer 2 this fall and want to see what AMD has to offer competitively.

It was insane in the morning, we had a line outside. we opened a bit late...people came in there like they was gonna get free burgers.
Sounds like Black Fri. before the doors open, but perhaps a little more civil. :D

come to chicago this place is like a wasteland

The massive congestion on the Dan Ryan alone is enough to make me cringe even though i'm only over in Cincinnati. I come up there a few times a year and cringe.

Sadly, we will probably just have to bite the bullet and make the trip to Texas for the next event. I planned on going until I got summoned for jury duty........

A friend of mine said one of the BD systems on display locked up. That's gotta suck.

TMK, a friend of yours is incorrect. The projectors we were using had blue default screens that looked exactly the same color as a BSOD, we will change those default colors next time.

To further elaborate, the no-signal default color on Optoma projectors is solid blue. They were later in the day set to black as to not give anyone any misconceptions. There were one or two reboots that were done to tweak settings. When they rebooted the blue default no-signal setting on the Optoma projectors briefly would project onto the screen. That has nothing to do with BSOD.

I was near the VIP section when I saw the blue on the screen, and from a far it did look like it bsod'd I'm glad to hear that wasn't true!

In any case, its not really that big of a deal. A lot of things can cause otherwise stable hardware to BSOD.

Anyone grab any AMD employees and lock them up and drill them for questions regarding when their next GPU will launch? lol

I'm in the North East. If I didn't have such a full schedule I would have taken the trip just to witness it's awesomeness.

It was indeed a great time oh and Mike from Longview, TX... if you read this send me a pm!

The game crashed a few times the machine never had to be rebooted or hard locked...
It seemed that it was the projector software... not sure but it was not 100% stable... for some reason... software or hardware...

I have had dirt 3 crash on me at home... so... meh.

I'm uncertain if Dirt3 or the pre-warping software caused the CTD. I didn't look at the WER log generated. There was never any lock up or BSOD though. The game was immediately restarted.

Last edited:
I'm uncertain if Dirt3 or the pre-warping software caused the CTD. I didn't look at the WER log generated. There was never any lock up or BSOD though. The game was immediately restarted.

well... the reason I said that... when the game locked... the warping software went in and out a few times... It gave the impression it had issues...but I am guessing it runs on profiles?

Or is it always active....

That facility at 2616 Commerce St. needs to fix the door that leads to the bathrooms. Good thing someone propped it open for the rest of the day b/c it was slamming pretty damn loudly. :D

How many more days 'til the next AMD/[H] event? :cool:

I don't get why places like that (and most bars i've been to) have just one urinal and one toilet. It's annoying :(

I played Deus Ex 3 in Eyefinity. Had to tweak the graphics to get it to run well, I was surprised with the results. It isn't as good as the original. It's still a A++ title by today standards.

While I doubt Kyle/HardOCP had much if any say in this, but perhaps having a larger variety in games. All we had was Shogun, Deus Ex, Dragon Age 2, Dirt 3 (not counting TF2).

Finally...what was up with having UFC Personal Trainer hooked up with a Kinect??

To all who attended the event, just wanted to say thanks for coming out and hopefully you had some fun and won some stuff! I was one of the "pond scum" marketing guys (by the way, that's MY phrase!) you may have met there; I was the guy with the big, shaved/bald head who was sometimes handing out prizes with Kyle, or running back and forth re-stocking the tubs with water and soda.
Anyway, this was easily one of the best events we've ever done, and here's hoping we can do this again next year!
Also big thanks to all our sponsors, who were amazing: Sapphire, XFX, Asus, Gigabyte, and Corsair! Also, thanks to Monte and all the guys who helped with set up and take down - you were amazing.
Finally, thanks Kyle for supporting this idea and helping it come to life - the [H] community is amazing and I'm not sure this would have worked if we had tried it any other way.

thanks again
Darren
twitter.com/darrenmcphee17

Thank you Darren! Wish I could find more pictures of the event. There was a photographer running around the whole day, anyone know where those pictures are?

To all who attended the event, just wanted to say thanks for coming out and hopefully you had some fun and won some stuff! I was one of the "pond scum" marketing guys (by the way, that's MY phrase!) you may have met there; I was the guy with the big, shaved/bald head who was sometimes handing out prizes with Kyle, or running back and forth re-stocking the tubs with water and soda.
Anyway, this was easily one of the best events we've ever done, and here's hoping we can do this again next year!
Also big thanks to all our sponsors, who were amazing: Sapphire, XFX, Asus, Gigabyte, and Corsair! Also, thanks to Monte and all the guys who helped with set up and take down - you were amazing.
Finally, thanks Kyle for supporting this idea and helping it come to life - the [H] community is amazing and I'm not sure this would have worked if we had tried it any other way.

thanks again
Darren
twitter.com/darrenmcphee17

(no Mr Clean jokes here)

Thank you, this event was awesome and surely i want to be part of it next year. at least i hope we do it again next year. I bet you can add 200 more people coming thru with the word of mouth people took to their friends and better utilize the assets available.

Maybe in a couple of years the event can build up to something on the smaller end of the scale of Rogcon...a mini Rogcon. But instead of a week after quakecon, do it in July.

I would be happy staying at the current venue though. that burger joint is good!
Maybe add a mini lan party by getting rid of one of the projector setups. Maybe take that lounge area and put it to better use...more sponsor space.

I can't say it enough...BIG UP to all the sponsors. They came thru BIG TIME.

Back