AMD Gray Screen of DEATH 10.2 Driver Poll

Did 10.2 take care of your GSOD issues?

• Yes, fixed.

Votes: 19 8.1%
  • No, still problems.

Votes: 31 13.1%
  • Still have GSOD issues, but not as bad.

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • Have not gamed long enough to know, but have not seen them back yet.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • Have never had GSOD problems...ever.

Votes: 163 69.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i didnt have any problem with the 10.1 and my 4870 and windows 7 64bit. played cod: mw2, dirt2, batman: AA. installed 10.2 last night but havent tried any game yet.

It took a few days after updating to 10.2 but the GSOD has come back for me. Even though this is the only first GSOD I have had since I updated to 10.2, I really can't say whether or not 10.2 is better than all the previous drivers I have used since the end of October (for the record, I have only used official ATI released drivers).

When I first got my 5750 four months ago, it used to lock up quite frequently with the grey screens, blue bars, pink bars, etc. Typically in games like World of Warcraft, Mass Effect, or Torchlight, but sometimes at the desktop as well. The strange thing is the lockups usually would happen when nothing much was happening on the screen and when I would go to move my character, BAM, lockup that required a reset. So to me, it always seemed the lockups were tied to making the transition from low demand to slightly increased demand on the video card. Also, the lockups were totally random...sometimes within two minutes after booting up the computer, sometimes within a few minutes of an earlier lockup, sometimes after several hours of hard gaming, and sometimes I would go over a day before it would lock up. So my gut tells me this it isn't a temperature related issue (i.e. card running hot). Another interesting thing about the lockups is even though the computer won't respond to mouse/keyboard inputs and requires a reset, if I hop on another computer on my network, I can access the GSOD computer drives without any issue.

Prior to Christmas, it seemed like I would have 10-20 lockups per week...and that is with fairly heavy usage in the evenings and weekends. Since Christmas, the lockups have been decreasing in frequency and has dwindled to <10 per week now. At no time have I ever felt like the decrease in the frequency of lockups has been tied to new driver releases. Despite me not changing my computing habits, it just seems like the card is getting more stable on its own over time. But after 4 months of dealing with these crashes and never knowing when they are going to strike, it is extremely frustrating.

My system (and I run everything at stock):
EVGA 680i SLI motherboard
Intel E8500 Wolfdale
Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (running at 4-4-4-12)
XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB
Thermaltake W0131RU ToughPower 850W Power Supply
Windows 7 64-bit

The same system was able to run the Windows 7 64-bit RC for over 5 months without a single lockup when I had my old 8800GTX installed, so the only thing that has changed, is the video card.

It took a few days after updating to 10.2 but the GSOD has come back for me. Even though this is the only first GSOD I have had since I updated to 10.2, I really can't say whether or not 10.2 is better than all the previous drivers I have used since the end of October (for the record, I have only used official ATI released drivers).

When I first got my 5750 four months ago, it used to lock up quite frequently with the grey screens, blue bars, pink bars, etc. Typically in games like World of Warcraft, Mass Effect, or Torchlight, but sometimes at the desktop as well. The strange thing is the lockups usually would happen when nothing much was happening on the screen and when I would go to move my character, BAM, lockup that required a reset. So to me, it always seemed the lockups were tied to making the transition from low demand to slightly increased demand on the video card. Also, the lockups were totally random...sometimes within two minutes after booting up the computer, sometimes within a few minutes of an earlier lockup, sometimes after several hours of hard gaming, and sometimes I would go over a day before it would lock up. So my gut tells me this it isn't a temperature related issue (i.e. card running hot). Another interesting thing about the lockups is even though the computer won't respond to mouse/keyboard inputs and requires a reset, if I hop on another computer on my network, I can access the GSOD computer drives without any issue.

Prior to Christmas, it seemed like I would have 10-20 lockups per week...and that is with fairly heavy usage in the evenings and weekends. Since Christmas, the lockups have been decreasing in frequency and has dwindled to <10 per week now. At no time have I ever felt like the decrease in the frequency of lockups has been tied to new driver releases. Despite me not changing my computing habits, it just seems like the card is getting more stable on its own over time. But after 4 months of dealing with these crashes and never knowing when they are going to strike, it is extremely frustrating.

My system (and I run everything at stock):
EVGA 680i SLI motherboard
Intel E8500 Wolfdale
Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (running at 4-4-4-12)
XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB
Thermaltake W0131RU ToughPower 850W Power Supply
Windows 7 64-bit

The same system was able to run the Windows 7 64-bit RC for over 5 months without a single lockup when I had my old 8800GTX installed, so the only thing that has changed, is the video card.

I know how you feel. This really stinks. Kyle's trying to help us out though, and getting our specs to AMD might help fix the problem.

The first thing I'd do is get rid of that Nvidia chipset. Just asking for problems using those, with which nothing is guaranteed to work right from the USB to the SATA to even the video. If you buy an Intel CPU, you're best off with an Intel chipset, and same for AMD.

Hmph, my computer hasn't locked-up in 185 hours (7.5+ days) now on the 10.1+HF+HF drivers,so maybe I was already cured there...

If it ain't broken, don't fix it! So now I'm on the fence about bothering with the 10.2s... Although I guess I should just to determine they work...

It'll be interesting after another week on the 10.2s (assuming they'll be stable as well...), to re-OC my system to see if everything's now cured...

Anyone that un-OCed their system to try and gain stability try the 10.2s yet and re-OCed their system and found it rock-solid stable again???

The first thing I'd do is get rid of that Nvidia chipset. Just asking for problems using those, with which nothing is guaranteed to work right from the USB to the SATA to even the video. If you buy an Intel CPU, you're best off with an Intel chipset, and same for AMD.

I've never had a problem with an NVIDIA chipset until now, and I'm not sure it's the chipset. Been running them for years, since nForce 2 was around. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's not the NVIDIA chipset, because I tried an ATI 790FX with the card and had the same GSOD problem, I also tried it on an NVIDIA 590 chipset, same problem. People posting in here and other forums have been using everything from Intel chipsets to AMD chipsets. I just don't think it's the chipset.

Amazing this issue is still going on. When I first had this and created that other thread I thought I was the only one lol. Something interesting. I had to disable HDMI audio drivers on my old setup to fix the problem. I sold that setup to a buddy with a 5850 who did not have any issues at all. I stuck my same 5870 into another machine and had no issues either. Whats weird is I had a Power color 5870 no issues, then crossfire XFX and Power color.. sold the power color and went to the single XFX.. then I started having issues. Reloaded box and still issues. Multiple drivers with issues. Disabled ATI HDMI Audio driver like I mentioned above and issues gone. Was really strange.

10.2 still GSOD faster than 9.12 does.

Card: XFX Radeon 5870
Motherboard: Abit IP35
CPU: QX9650 (Currently running stock so to eliminate OC as a potential cause)
RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMS2 CM2x2048-6400C5
Vista 64 Ultimate with SP2 installed.

Still getting GSOD even after 10.2 updates. Only happens when gaming.

AMD Phenom II 940 BE @ 3.0GHz
DFI JR 790GX-M2RS
Corsair XMS2 2x2GB DDR2-800
Windows 7 (64bit)

No problems gaming (not that I ever had a problem gaming anyway)...

And haven't crashed at the desktop in over a week...

BUT...

Since no one else is complaining about this, something else must be wrong...

because...

Now my framerates are absolutely abysmal...

Far Cry 2 is unplayable... at 2560x1600, at 1920x1200, at 1280x800... It was butter smooth on the 4870x2, and butter smooth at1280x800 even on the 9800GTX+... Now it's unplayable...

Even Doom 3, a game that's 5.5 years old, is practically unplayable... Now that's a game that should obviously be butter smooth...

All games look like the framerate is in the teens... Regardless of res...

Can't wait 'til Monday for Nvidia's announcement that their own quality hardware is almost ready for release, and that they plan to have competent drivers ready for them...

I pray I never have to buy another AMD product...

Tolyngee said:
Can't wait 'til Monday for Nvidia's announcement that their own quality hardware is almost ready for release, and that they plan to have competent drivers ready for them...

I'm sorry but that's a ridiculous stance to take. You might have a lemon of a card, or another component of your system is at fault. I've switched back and forth between both camps over the years and can tell you Nvidia hardware and their drivers are far from perfect. And of course, the same goes for ATI. Sometimes you just get unlucky. It's like anything else in life.

I'm running a 5970 now. I did have NVIDIA's latest drivers on my machine previously. When I got my 5970 I uninstalled them just using the uninstaller, then I installed the 5970 and loaded the Catalyst 10.1 drivers. The only problem I had with them was in regard to my monitor going into sleep mode. It never would using the 10.1 drivers. A few days later I upgraded to the Catalyst 10.2 drivers and I've had no problems since.

You'll get no arguments from me in regard to the 680i SLI chipsets. That is a whole other story though. Still I've never had problems running ATI/AMD cards on NVIDIA chipset based motherboards.

While I haven't been following this issue too closely, I can't help but to notice the issue appearing to affect those in Vista/Win7 more than those using WinXp. Is this an actual trend or just my own bias with what I have seen posted?

I'm sorry but that's a ridiculous stance to take. You might have a lemon of a card, or another component of your system is at fault. I've switched back and forth between both camps over the years and can tell you Nvidia hardware and their drivers are far from perfect. And of course, the same goes for ATI. Sometimes you just get unlucky. It's like anything else in life.

Actually, something 's obviously wrong...

I just went and gamed again...

At the desktop, my GPU temp is 53C, and my fan speed also goes up to 53%.

Now, when I game, these both GO DOWN to around 45C and 45%.

This makes no sense. My card's actually running hotter at the desktop???

My card's working backwards it appears on the new drivers. While that explains what I experienced inside of games, it makes no sense whatsoever that this is occurring.

Anyone else experiencing this? On the new drivers, my card appears to be de-tuning itself when it goes to game...

It's an XFX XXX 5870 manuf OCed, but I'm running every at stock, with no manual CCC profiles or anything... I'm just letting the card do its own thing...

XFX 5870 XXX Edition just a few weeks old. Still GSOD. It's been less and less since 10.1. I'm on 8.703 ATM. My workaround is to use the AMD GPU Clock Tool. To Set clock to 875/1200. Supposedly this disables PowerPlay in Windows so it stays at that frequency. And underclocks the RAM. Uses more power but its completely stable.

Yea gotta give Kyle props. Not very often he is getting user info to send to AMD directly to get help.

This to me is great customer support on Hardocp and AMD's part.

Hopefully this can be resolved (funny thing too I played 3 hours of BC2 this morning and not one GSOD lol)

Never had a GSOD with my xfx 5870. This card has been rock solid for me, I don't think I could ever give this card up. Might hold on to this one as long as the 9800pro(owned it and used it for 4 years.)

I voted a few days ago that I never had a GSOD, but it has happened atleast 4 times; once in DiRT2 and 3 times in Prey (yes, I still play it).

Although, my problems have stemmed from overclocking the core on my 5850 past 775MHz. Even at 850MHz, both Afterburner and GPUz show that my card hasn't overheated. I've clocked it back at 750/1200 and haven't had another GSOD.

I have noticed that Windows usually wants to shut of Aero acceleration right before a GSOD happens, and sometimes that will crash whatever game I'm playing. Also, its weird that when running FurMark, I haven't expirenced a GSOD.:confused:

just got my GSOD this morning Visiontek 4890 overclocked to core clock 1000mhz, memory 1150mhz, happened in the middle of running 3DMARK06.

I think the issue is much more prevalent in the 5xxx series... never heard anything with a 4xxx get the GSOD.

I had a problem with a 4870 1GB MSI card getting the gray screen of death when gaming. The MEMIO sensor was in the 120 Celsius range (I was monitoring it with ATITray Tools). I RMAed it and didn't even both reinstalling the drivers, and I never had a problem again. Check the temps on the sensors, I bet you there's an issue with temps.

Interesting, a couple days after installing the 10.2's I've had my first ever BSOD's in Windows 7. Both have been reported as an ATI driver failure.

Interesting, a couple days after installing the 10.2's I've had my first ever BSOD's in Windows 7. Both have been reported as an ATI driver failure.

How long have you had your card? Just curious if we're talking days, weeks or months before your "first time"...

Tbh I do not dare to say it but it seams I got it pretty stable now.
Not quite sure was it 10.2 that fixed it because I have changed next to 10.2 also few other things.

I have installed new drivers for my Keyboard Logitech G19 (screen on keyboard was tripping a lot) new drivers for Razor mouse as well. I have had one normal BSOD due memory issue I have never seen before so I have increased voltage there to. Well memory is rated for 1,65 V but Asus BIOS would only give you 1,64V or annoying 1,66V with warning. Like I have said I have also week ago upped Vcore although burning CPU never caused and issue.

All together this last few days I have had that one normal Windows BSOD and after it no issues what so ever. Yes first day I have installed 10.2 I have had situation where video in game froze while game was going on. Going back to desktop and back to game fixed it but no more crashes for now.

I just hope it stays like this.

Haven't benched it but it seams it works with normal speed with 10.2. Never notice any drops in fps.

Finally happy I'm slightly mad :)

MD

Voted, and gonna paste my reply to the other thread here

Saw the posts about powerplay being the culprit, unplugged my second monitor (was disabled anyways), still didn't work (was still underclocked). Ran a clean install of 10.2 without the second monitor, now BFBC2 works perfectly as before, but fullscreen 1080p bluray still stutters like mad...

Im not sure why but before I was using an older driver and a 4890 but now when I upgraded to 10.2 and my new 5850 It has driver crashes more than ever. If I overclock at all or even sometimes at stock speeds , the driver will crash in games and benchmarking.

I've only had my HD5870 for about a week and a half if even that long. But I'm also getting the same error (amdkmdap stopped responding and has recovered). I don't know if everyone else has experienced this next part but frequently when I have this issue I can cntr/alt/del and then hit cancel when switch/lock/task mgr field pops up....when I do that more often than not it will go back into the game without completely crashing. Now when I do finally exit the game I'll still see the error msg however many times I did this so it's not a fix by any means.

My specs (which I'll put in my sig soon but this being my 1st post I wanted to hurry and post up):
Q9550
MSI P45 Platinum mobo updated to latest bios
4Gb Gskill DDR2 1066
XFX HD5870 (stock) Running the 10.2 cat/CCC package.
Antec TPQ 850watt

Upon getting my new gfx card I first uninstalled any nvidia drivers and then ran Driver Cleaner and installed the 10.1 cats, after about 3 days the 10.2 cats were released at which time I installed that driver package.

I get the gray screen crash in every game I've played; BFBC2 beta, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, and even in benchmarking programs I've run. This issue happens about every 10-15 minutes, if I use the workaround I posted above it'll go another 8-10 minutes and then crash again.

Just got my first complete gray screen lockup, rebooted, went back into BFBC2, and got a BSOD for the first time in 5 years. Said something about dxgmms1.sys, whatever thats about.

Its the 5890s that i have the issue with, the 5870 was ALWAYS fine, and the older 4800/4900 series shouldnt be in this poll.

Its the 5890s that i have the issue with, the 5870 was ALWAYS fine, and the older 4800/4900 series shouldnt be in this poll.

You mean 5970, or is there another card you're hiding from us? :p

FYI. For all of you guys that have reached out to me through email with the required information, AMD is going to be getting in contact with you and getting your cards replaced. Contacting end users has already begun.

As it sits right now, AMD feels as though it has enough boards coming back to do testing in order to isolate what the issue might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back