AMD GPU Roadmap: RDNA 3 With 5nm GPU Chiplets Coming This Year

Marees

[H]ard|Gawd
In its financial analysts briefing today, AMD shared its GPU roadmap along with some additional details on its upcoming RDNA 3 architecture.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-rdna3-roadmap-chiplets-5nm

• AMD says RDNA 3 is projected to provide more than a 50% uplift in performance per watt.
  • It will use 5nm process technology (almost certainly TSMC N5 or N5P).
  • It will also support "advanced multimedia capabilities," including AV1 encode/decode support.
  • AMD said RDNA 3 includes DisplayPort 2.0 connectivity, which was already rumored.
  • The architecture consists of a reworked compute unit (CU), the main building block for AMD's RDNA GPUs, and we've heard quite a few rumors about this.
  • AMD also promises a next-generation Infinity Cache
  • AMD says it will use advanced packaging technologies combined with a chiplet architecture.
FU1y2SvWQAAxPqk.jpeg

This is great but….
TSMC has fewer capacity on 5nm than it does 7nm. There’s huge demand on that node, I fear that it will result in AMD producing fewer chips and fewer cards but at higher prices.

The rumour is that top-end Navi 31 & 32 have a chiplet design with mix of 5nm & 6nm

The middle rung Navi 33 will be a monolithic 6nm chip designed to replace the 6750XT / 6800

This should push the prices of 6600 XT / 6600 downwards

Price of top end chips will depend on competition price & performance, I guess

They went 6nm with Ryzen 6000 for a reason. Capacity at TSMC. I'd be willing to bet that for the lower tier stuff they'll move that to 6nm, like IO Dies, etc. Much like CPU, only the GPU cores will be on 5nm.

Reactions: Axman
like this
Next gen Infinity Cache. I wonder how that'll work out. Infinity Cache helped, but it was clear that the 256-bit interface still hampered performance a bit at 4k.

TSMC has fewer capacity on 5nm than it does 7nm. There’s huge demand on that node, I fear that it will result in AMD producing fewer chips and fewer cards but at higher prices.

Yeah, only the chiplets are 5nm. Everything else is on different nodes.

The rumour is that top-end Navi 31 & 32 have a chiplet design with mix of 5nm & 6nm

The middle rung Navi 33 will be a monolithic 6nm chip designed to replace the 6750XT / 6800

This should push the prices of 6600 XT / 6600 downwards

Price of top end chips will depend on competition price & performance, I guess
That will be nice if it works out that way, but TSMC jacked their rates again so we’re probably looking at a good price increase regardless. They are telling investors inflation + 5-9%.

This is great but….
Was same with 7nm. Chiplets are tiny with high yield, it'll be ok.

Was same with 7nm. Chiplets are tiny with high yield, it'll be ok.

Agreed. More and more 5nm AND 7nm are coming online, plus now instead of sharing 7nm across every product line, now they're leaving the console SoCs and lower end GPUs on 6/7nm and moving CPUs and high end GPUs (with small chiplets instead of large monolithic chips)

Prices will likely go up, but availability should be good.

On the PC front I'm a little less excited, sort of more-of-the-same.....Still using an 8700k, so far so good. However, I'm more curious what this means to a 2024 (more likely than 2023) console refresh....depends on how long fab's want to keep pumping out the current chipsets for those boxes.

That will be nice if it works out that way, but TSMC jacked their rates again so we’re probably looking at a good price increase regardless. They are telling investors inflation + 5-9%.
That's inline with USD inflation.

That's inline with USD inflation.
Well in-line with USD inflation plus an additional 5 to 9 percent.
But this comes right on the heals of their 15% price hike due to demand and their previous rate increase to pay for their new facilities.

Depending on the node you are using TSMC has increased their rates between 45 and 60 percent since Sept of 2021.

Last edited:
Back