AMD GPU 14 Product Showcase Livestream

What's the price of the 290 ?

Release date of the 290 ?

Benchmarks of the 290 in games like BF3 / BF4 compared to last years high end games ?

I don't know but I'll tell you what I do know: Star Citizen is coming out in 18-24 months.

Only works on AMD cards? Pass. This just smells like GLide all over again...

It'll only catch on if Intel starts supporting it on their integrated graphics (which need all the help they can get). AMD and Nvidia already have fast enough offerings that this isn't really an issue for high-end gaming machines.

It'll only catch on if Intel starts supporting it on their integrated graphics (which need all the help they can get). AMD and Nvidia already have fast enough offerings that this isn't really an issue for high-end gaming machines.

We'll see with BF4.
If the rumored 2x performance increase is true, this would put AMD in a HUGE advantage, without even them having to touch the silicon at all...

Hint: nVidia doesn't run GCN, and they will never adopt an API pushed by AMD. Heck, they won't even touch OpenCL!

The reason is called kudos cores or was it cuda ? They been marketing their own megatastic way of the future in computing which _only_ Nvidia can deliver with CUDA.

Some of the people at Nvidia believe their own marketing lingo and of course there will never be something else then CUDA because of the money.

I think I can actually FEEL the Nvidia guys quaking in their boots over mantle :)

Could be a real gamechanger.

AMD obviously could give a shit about telling the enthusiasts anything, and we were probably the largest viewing audience of their shitty stream.

Who cares? If it's like a driver you download and it makes your AMD GPU twice as fast I mean...who cares if it only works on AMD? You'll buy an AMD card or you'll play games slower. Guess what 95% percent of the people on forums like [H] will do in that situation? These are the true enthusiasts.

This is 2013. It's really easy to download and install something.

Who cares? If it's like a driver you download and it makes your AMD GPU twice as fast I mean...who cares if it only works on AMD? You'll buy an AMD card or you'll play games slower. Guess what 95% percent of the people on forums like [H] will do in that situation? These are the true enthusiasts.

This is 2013. It's really easy to download and install something.

As long as developer support it, that is...

As long as developer support it, that is...

Looks like EA will take the lead on this, and they make the majority of demanding PC games.
Since AMD has consoles in their pocket, other devs/pubs will follow. Time for Nv to start programming.

Looks like EA will take the lead on this, and they make the majority of demanding PC games.
Since AMD has consoles in their pocket, other devs/pubs will follow. Time for Nv to start programming.

Yeah, all the people slagging this should just know Nvidia will just copy if it takes off. Then they will think it's a good idea.

There's only two major vendors. Could in effect double development effort for PC games, but for a big production like BF4 might be worth it for huge performance increases.

Wasn't Mantle supposed to allow you to "code to the metal"? Supported only on GCN?

Hint: nVidia doesn't run GCN, and they will never adopt an API pushed by AMD. Heck, they won't even touch OpenCL!

AMD won't run GCN forever either. We'll see what happens with the precious "to the metal" optimizations when the rug gets pulled out.

Don't worry your little NV card is safe, this is basically Sony, AMD and Valve doing their version of Google on Microsoft.

We'll see with BF4.
If the rumored 2x performance increase is true, this would put AMD in a HUGE advantage, without even them having to touch the silicon at all...

Where did you see anything about a 2x performance increase?

Wasn't Mantle supposed to allow you to "code to the metal"? Supported only on GCN?

AMD won't run GCN forever either. We'll see what happens with the precious "to the metal" optimizations when the rug gets pulled out.

I can feel the fear :D

Anyways just look at the big picture a little. GCN doesn't matter, this is just a low level driver for AMD cards, no matter what tech they run on, it can and will be updated over time like any other API, duh.

I'm having my fun but dont worry, if this takes off Nvidia can/will just copy. It really could be a paradigm changer and I'm not sure at all it wont work.

In the future we would just have two low level API's, one per vendor, instead of one. Doesn't seem like that big a deal. In return we'll possibly get a one-time huge performance bump.

Yeah, all the people slagging this should just know Nvidia will just copy if it takes off. Then they will think it's a good idea.

I hope so. Lower level oriented programming means a more open hardware platform and better performance.

There's only two major vendors. Could in effect double development effort for PC games, but for a big production like BF4 might be worth it for huge performance increases.

It's likely that the development costs involved for bringing this to AMD's hardware is lower than nVidia's - if they were to release something similar, that is - since developers are already targeting similar AMD hardware with similar low level APIs.

I really hope we see Linux compatibility sometime soon. I'm tired of Microsoft at this point.

My understanding is that AMD teamed with DICE to develop Mantle and to create a AAA game as a launching point for the new API. They never said it was exclusive to EA titles, only it was the initial game to use it. Even though it's AMD only, and I have Nvidia ATM, I'm excited to see an API really focus on getting the most of your GPU and up to 8 core CPU's.

DICE also talked about the severe limitations of PC gaming due to OS, API, drivers, and memory. To contrast, Nvidia made comments recently about consoles not being close to PC for performance, but that's mainly due to brute force, right? Consoles are extremely efficient and developers have maximum control over programming, almost programming directly to the hardware. Developers like John Carmack have been asking for programming directly to hardware for years, so it's no wonder they like consoles so much. Also, the unified memory on consoles reduces bottlenecks caused while copying assets between CPU and GPU memory nodes, which PC games suffer from. Again, brute force is used to make up for this.

AMD is pushing this type of technology forward in their APU's, and they are leading the way in this technology with consoles. That's very important, even for PC gamers.

Raptr Setting your game settings by measuring FPS.... IMO, we all know FPS can lie... is FPS the best way to measure performance to set your graphics settings in games?

When we do it, we don't focus on the FPS, and we nail the playable settings better than just going by FPS, IMO

its simple amd has GCN gpu's in all the new consoles, and like half the pc market, it makes sense for almost any publisher or game designer to design new engines around that GCN architecture.

in most cases we will still get games designed around the consoles limits but when we get the pc versions they will be just as optomized and run at a much higher fps on amd GCN systems.

Mantle is open, like most stuff amd does they dont try to segment the market if Nvidia wants to use mantle to stay competitive they can. nvidia is like apple tho so there is a chance they will try to stay in their own little bubble.

Raptr Setting your game settings by measuring FPS.... IMO, we all know FPS can lie... is FPS the best way to measure performance to set your graphics settings in games?

When we do it, we don't focus on the FPS, and we nail the playable settings better than just going by FPS, IMO

Framerating is generally the best, but you can't do that in software.

Any word of whether that information is fed back to game developers and AMD? That could be a really good debugging if it goes the extra mile...

Mantle and other low level API's are also important to check MS, who are just being jerks about directX. there is no good reason 11.1 and 11.2 can't run on windows 7.

Well, considering NVidia is close to charging that for their top end, what's the big deal?

Titan is not gaming card and not aimed at the mass market
ill rephrase that if you like paying 1000 for a low end card

Mantle and other low level API's are also important to check MS, who are just being jerks about directX. there is no good reason 11.1 and 11.2 can't run on windows 7.

OpenGL is still there if people dont want to use DirectX
OH wait thats right AMD still cant turn out a decent OpenGL driver....

OpenGL is still there if people dont want to use DirectX
OH wait thats right AMD still cant turn out a decent OpenGL driver....

OpenGL just isn't relevant. when was the last time you needed an opengL driver for a PC game?

I just don't see that happening for mainstream games

and going back to the glide/rendition days isnt good idea ether
again unless you want to see games locked to one card or the other because thats the end game here

first AMD or NV ONLY game comes out can i post a big I TOLD YOU SO on the front page of hard?

Mantle, audio processing, Raptr integration, etc.. smells like a diversionary tactic because they lack a product to surpass nVidia. AMD is following the Microsoft XBox1 path: jack-of-all trades, master-of-none.They need to fix their existing products(drivers), before dicking around with new APIs. Just focus on gaming graphics!
As an AMD shareholder, i'm not happy.

again unless you want to see games locked to one card or the other because thats the end game here

first AMD or NV ONLY game comes out can i post a big I TOLD YOU SO on the front page of hard?

Sure, but it's never going to happen. Companies are not so stupid to ignore half the market.

Sure, but it's never going to happen. Companies are not so stupid to ignore half the market.

want to bet plenty of PS* and Xbox only games out there

i game on PC to avoid that shit and be able to openly pick what hardware i want to use
once you lock in an API like that then its all down hill

guess no one remembers glide and 3Dfx
only thing left for AMD to do is go back making/selling there own cards again

One other very important part about Mantle -not having to rely on Microsoft anymore.

Their DX paywalls and failure to bring many good Microsoft Studios Xbox games to PC shows Microsoft is not a friend of PC gaming.

Getting Microsoft out of the way can't come fast enough.

OMG this never happened. all that happened was the glide version was usually faster than the 3d version, and it wasn't because of bad coding but because the drivers were more efficient.

the only thing I found odd, was they said "the faster GPU AMD has ever made" versus "the fastest GPU ever made"

OMG this never happened. all that happened was the glide version was usually faster than the 3d version, and it wasn't because of bad coding but because the drivers were more efficient.

there where a number of glide only games that where glide or software only
it wasnt until... wait for it..... DIRECT X/3D came around that any thing got better or even close to glide
and later miniGL/OpenGL drivers came about for other cards

Back