AMD Goes “Made in America”. 14nm Greenland news.

cageymaru

Fully [H]
AMD Goes “Made in America”.
http://vrworld.com/2015/11/19/14nm-amd-greenland-tapes-out-attack-on-nvidia-pascal-intel-xeon-phi/

The ‘double down’ on GlobalFoundries resulted in AMD’s switch from TSMC to GlobalFoundries for its next-generation GPUs, which will utilize a more advanced process node than their main competitor, NVIDIA. Also, AMD has a slight advantage with time zones, as GlobalFoundries developed and deployed then 14nm FinFET process in its Fab 8 facility in New York state, which is where AMD will produce all of the taped out parts.

I'm 100% for more stuff that I use being made here. ;)

That's cool. Wonder if it will make information a bit more stable. Seems most early leaks come from China and usually don't hold true at least not completely.

AMD Goes “Made in America”.
http://vrworld.com/2015/11/19/14nm-amd-greenland-tapes-out-attack-on-nvidia-pascal-intel-xeon-phi/

The ‘double down’ on GlobalFoundries resulted in AMD’s switch from TSMC to GlobalFoundries for its next-generation GPUs, which will utilize a more advanced process node than their main competitor, NVIDIA. Also, AMD has a slight advantage with time zones, as GlobalFoundries developed and deployed then 14nm FinFET process in its Fab 8 facility in New York state, which is where AMD will produce all of the taped out parts.

I'm 100% for more stuff that I use being made here. ;)

when they say "more advanced process node" that means that those cards are going to get better chip binning / asic quality or its something else? :confused:

Very interesting read, thanks for posting!

when they say "more advanced process node" that means that those cards are going to get better chip binning / asic quality or its something else? :confused:

They just mean GloFo's 14nm node is more advanced than TSMCs that Nvidia is using.

TSMC is in Taiwan, as in Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, not china...

Taiwan is not communist.

lol

I assume you were joking..

which will utilize a more advanced process node than their main competitor, NVIDIA.

is that more advanced because it is 14nm rather than 16nm?

if yes, lol. that is rather meaningless given it depends on whether you measure the largest or smallest feature of the silicon, as we know well from intel's 22nm versus the high density libraries used in amd's 28nm carrizo product. there isn't as much [real] difference between the two process nodes as the marketing numbers given would suggest.

2nm in the scope of things is mostly irrelevant.

GloFo's process is more advanced as its an enhenced low power process (LPP)

It's always nice to see things made in the same continent we are buying it in. Also good to know that the products may end up drawing a bit less power in the future -- knowing AMD much needed.

Good news. Does this mean that I can send in my R9 390 and have it modernized? ;)

So, this will help AMD with Power Consumption?

Kinda of not really, GLO flo 14 nm process is the same as Samsung's (if AMD isn't going to be using custom LIB's), And A9 chip from apple used both samsung and TSMC, the results were TSMC's chip consumed less power marginally.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/10/samsung-vs-tsmc-comparing-the-battery-life-of-two-apple-a9s/

So the processes I think you can say they are very similar, there will be a savings on silicon cost of course somewhat, but then the increased cost of the manufacture (US employees will cost more) might even that out.

Kinda of not really, GLO flo 14 nm process is the same as Samsung's (if AMD isn't going to be using custom LIB's), And A9 chip from apple used both samsung and TSMC, the results were TSMC's chip consumed less power marginally.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/10/samsung-vs-tsmc-comparing-the-battery-life-of-two-apple-a9s/

So the processes I think you can say they are very similar, there will be a savings on silicon cost of course somewhat, but then the increased cost of the manufacture (US employees will cost more) might even that out.

AFAIK, only GloFo and Samsung's LPE nodes are similar (they co-developed it), LPP deviates..

I believe only GloFo and samsung's LPE nodes are similar, LPP deviates..

not sure, I'll look around and see if I can find info on that.

Edit I do remember

Samsung has LPP too,

and apple is planning on moving to that much later and I think this was the process that nV was looking at for Pascal, vs TSMC, which they opted not go to for what ever reason.....

Last edited:
I'm soo much crossing my fingers for AMD making a good performing CPU design this time around. They desperately needs some wins and Intel need some competition.
At least it looks like they are dropping the horrid two int cores but only one FPU design in Zen.

I'm not even American, but I prefer to buy stuff made in America vs China. Less money wasted on shipping, and it supports a country with deep trading ties with mine (Canada). Pretty much anything that helps the US economy helps the Canadian economy, more than half our economy relies on us selling stuff to Americans.

Hopefully AMD's next-gen chips will be fantastic. I want them to do well because otherwise we're not going to have any competition for Nvidia and Intel.

I'm not even American, but I prefer to buy stuff made in America vs China. Less money wasted on shipping, and it supports a country with deep trading ties with mine (Canada). Pretty much anything that helps the US economy helps the Canadian economy, more than half our economy relies on us selling stuff to Americans.

Hopefully AMD's next-gen chips will be fantastic. I want them to do well because otherwise we're not going to have any competition for Nvidia and Intel.

Plus ATI is (err... was, now largely is again under a different flag?) Canadian :)

As always, though, proof is in the eating of the pudding. Would be lovely to see AMD make inroads.

With Zen still more than a year out, I hope they survive to release it. We need some competition to go against Intel, badly.

Liberty Prime approves.

preview_5350_1443210132_5bd5669ceac852d71eb60066c44bef02.jpg

TSMC is in Taiwan, as in Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, not china...

Taiwan is not communist.

lol

I assume you were joking..

I'm positive he was just making a joke, irregardless of where the chip is produced.

On the flip side, that's the US stance. But if you follow China's then Taiwan is part of them ..

Its actually Taiwan's (ROC) stance, america just recognizes it.

China refuses to acknowledge it because when the ROC fled the PRC to found taiwan, they took all the socialites and scientists with them.

Which is why they are so technologically advanced for such a tiny island.

Money and Egineers.

the PRC would like them back.

lol

Last edited:
Made in America is actually a huge factor for me.
Me too man this is making me turn my head. Hopefully AMD's new stuff will not be too far behind the big N. I want to support electronics made here so I can see myself forgiving some performance to see jobs in this country...We need this

Even more reason to buy AMD! Ok, ok, >sigh<, so at least there is now one reason to buy AMD.

When it comes to electronics, I don't think you can easily define where it's really made at. For example, a chip may be designed in country A, fabricated in country B, and packaged in country C.

It's all about the kind of workforce a nation can provide. You're unlikely to find Intel or AMD doing their core R&D in China, simply because they do not have such skilled talents. Those are done in countries like USA and Israel.

Same goes for chip fabrication (at least those industry-leading ones), it's hard to do, so it will be done in places where there are more suitable talents. Back end packaging, not as difficult, so you can do them in countries like Malaysia. And then the easy stuff are done in China.

Alot of the stuff that is Made in America at Walmart has parts from different countries assembled in the USA.

I wouldn't switch unless they really got there act together so even if AMD has American made processors the GPU shroud and board could be made in China.

where are the boards made and where is it assembled, pretty sure its still Foxconn....

Everyone does realize that the majority (most) of Intels fabs are done in the states right? Everyone hates Intel for their prices but forgets that they utilize more American workforce than just about anyone else in the computer industry.

You are a commie if you use AMD cpus :)

I'm positive he was just making a joke, irregardless of where the chip is produced.

On the flip side, that's the US stance. But if you follow China's then Taiwan is part of them ..

Indeed. Where the chip was produced is of the utmost importance... :p

Back