AMD FX-8800P or Intel Core i7-6500U

Depends on the TDP (thermal design power) allowed by the Asus.

If the 8800p's TDP is running at 15w or less, it's going to be slower than the i7. If it's running higher, then it could be better (provided you populate the memory slot, giving it dual-channel).

Unfortunately, AMD allows OEMs to choose the TDP for their m8800p, so it's really not a clear thing here. And nobody online seems to have an answer either for that specific model.

AMD are digging their own graves here. They USED to mark their 35w parts differently from their 15w parts, but that's just not happening anymore. Makes it impossible for us to actually determine the performance level of a machine without someone doing a full teardown, especially because today many full-sized 15" laptops cut costs by only having 15w cooling capability.

The i7 has four threads, so it's actually just as capable of handling multi-threaded code as the AMD processor. The single-threaded performance is faster.

Do you care about the gaming performance or not? The 8800p is slightly faster in games. It's a whole lot faster in games if you give it more than 15w TDP, but nobody seems to want to do that.

And YES, the 8800p has a configurable TDP, it's just that the default is 15w.

HP limits the Carrizo FX-8800P APU in the new Envy 15Z laptop

Back