AMD FX 8350 it still works!

I'm running one as a secondary rig with my old gtx 780. The wife uses it when we play coop pc games together.
She's been playing Far Cry 5 and Monster Hunter World with me on it. Gonna see how Wildlands runs on it this weekend.

I actually bought the cpu a few months back to replace a phenom 2 965 that I had in it for years. Far Cry 5 will not run on Phenom CPUs so I had no choice but to upgrade. I only spent about $100 cdn and it was new.

I still am. rig in sig does 1080p high/ultra just fine in most games. only game I cant seem to get to play smooth is steep but it was free so im not complaining.

I'm running one as a secondary rig with my old gtx 780. The wife uses it when we play coop pc games together.
She's been playing Far Cry 5 and Monster Hunter World with me on it. Gonna see how Wildlands runs on it this weekend.

I actually bought the cpu a few months back to replace a phenom 2 965 that I had in it for years. Far Cry 5 will not run on Phenom CPUs so I had no choice but to upgrade. I only spent about $100 cdn and it was new.

Nice! cheap hardware with performance is always nice..

How's your framerate running games like PUBG or BF1?
haven't played either. only fps ive played recently is apex and it locks at 60fps on high. I did play BF1 on my old 280x, think I used a mix of med/high for 60fps. I guess I should have added "that I play" to my other post.

Took mine down a couple years ago. Replaced it with a 6600K and then a 2600X.
I had mine at 4.8GHz under custom water on a SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 board and a pair of 280X's in Crossfire

Crap. A thread like this almost made me cry. Check sig...and hope for next Zen realease.

Sold my FX 8350 with mobo and 8Gb of RAM last year for $100 through Craigslist. I replaced it with a 2600X and never looked back once.

Running an 8320e w/32GB in my server and my Daughter has my old 8350 with 16GB of that wonderful, overclockable Samsung DDR3, a 270x and a 500GB Samsung 850. Still a very serviceable platform.

I have an FX6300 @ 4ghz turbo disabled and a left over 1080ti my son uses for fortnite. 180fps in creative, 90-110 in multiplayer

I still have an FX8320 and FX8120 in service.

My dad uses the 8120. The 8320 is paired with an RX570 and hooked up to a monitor and a TV in the living room for dual use as the kids gaming PC and the HTPC.

My FX 8150 on an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX is still in service, but these days as a NAS server with Plex and Logitech Media Server duties.

When I replace my Ryzen 1700 setup, it will take the 8150's place, and then the 8150 will probably be put to rest.

Last edited:
I gifted my FX-8350 w/16G of RAM on an Asus M5A97 EVO board and a 256G Samsung 850 SSD to my sister-in-law to replace an old Toshiba AMD A6-based laptop about two months ago. It used to perform Plex Server, file server and Media Center HTPC duties for me until the server duties were migrated to a Dell PowerEdge R515 I had been gifted. The HTPC duties were assigned to a leftover Intel Core i5 6600K setup running at stock clocks.

She added a Seasonic Focus Gold 850W power supply, a 1080p monitor and a Radeon RX-580 to it (all bought used for about $200) as well as her old HDD from the laptop. She's quite happily with it, playing in max detail with the games she plays (Smite, Tomb Raider rebooted series, etc).

I could have kept the FX-8350 in the HTPC and given her the i5, but the power draw for the i5 is a lot lower and that adds up for a system that is on 24/7. Not to mention that the DDR4 RAM on it is more useful to me for when I inevitably replace it. The FX-8350 still beats the snot out of that old laptop, though...

As long as the game supports 8 threads it should perform on par with old Intel quads.. So high thread utilization will make the CPU more usable. If you're on a old game that can only use 2 or 4 threads, you're probably gonna suffer.

I had a pair of Ivy Bridge Xeons 12c/24t in my main home lab that I just replaced with a pair of Opteron 6366's.

They run great and I don't feel like I have a massive security hazard on my network.

While there are faster cpus out there I still have a FX 8320 in service.

I still have an FX8320 and FX8120 in service.

My dad uses the 8120. The 8320 is paired with an RX570 and hooked up to a monitor and a TV in the living room for dual use as the kids gaming PC and the HTPC.

Exact use I use mine for. Granted it's actually RX 580's in crossfire. Performance is more than acceptable at 1080p. I wouldn't buy the parts nowadays, but if you already have them laying around or can get really cheap, they do well.

I gifted my FX-8350 w/16G of RAM on an Asus M5A97 EVO board and a 256G Samsung 850 SSD to my sister-in-law to replace an old Toshiba AMD A6-based laptop about two months ago. It used to perform Plex Server, file server and Media Center HTPC duties for me until the server duties were migrated to a Dell PowerEdge R515 I had been gifted. The HTPC duties were assigned to a leftover Intel Core i5 6600K setup running at stock clocks.

She added a Seasonic Focus Gold 850W power supply, a 1080p monitor and a Radeon RX-580 to it (all bought used for about $200) as well as her old HDD from the laptop. She's quite happily with it, playing in max detail with the games she plays (Smite, Tomb Raider rebooted series, etc).

I could have kept the FX-8350 in the HTPC and given her the i5, but the power draw for the i5 is a lot lower and that adds up for a system that is on 24/7. Not to mention that the DDR4 RAM on it is more useful to me for when I inevitably replace it. The FX-8350 still beats the snot out of that old laptop, though...

Nice! i gave my 8350 to my wife with a GTX 970 and she only plays sims 4 on Max 1080p until I recently upgraded her to 6700K. I'm prolly going to use the AMD 8350 now as a streaming PC.

Well I wish you would throw it away lol. it was horrible...my 9590 wasn't that much better. binned lol. Bulldozer should of been on XP lol

I'm still on an FX 8320 and 16gb of DDR3 @~800mhz. And a gtx 1060 6gb.

Works in 60fps for a lot of FPS titles at 1920x1200.. But it starts to struggle maintaining 60fps on civ 6 in the late game, and i'm about 20-30 fps on Stellaris in the late game once the map is mostly explored. But holy lord does she run hot on air. On load it's about 70c. :( (Measuring with HWINFO. If anyone has any suggestions for an accurate way to read amd core temps, i'd like to hear it.)

My user benchmark FWIW. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/16863637

I replaced my 5 year old Zalman cooler last year with some $50 Noctura I found that still supports am3+. It likes to sit idle at 58c-60c most of the time.

I am looking at the Zen 2 3600 to replace it. I'll probably get a x570 board, but I am undecided if pci gen 4 is worth active motherboard cooling. I'll wait to see what reviews have to say about it.

Last edited:
I am looking at the Zen 2 3600 to replace it. I'll probably get a x570 board, but I am undecided if pci gen 4 is worth active motherboard cooling. I'll wait to see what reviews have to say about it.

The active cooling is more or less needed for m.2 raid (only that triggers extra power draw). There some X570 motherboards without active cooling.

I had one under water with an early 2000's Alphacool NexXos XP block (first version), which surprisingly worked very well. The Asus M5A99FX Pro 2.0 limited overclocking somewhat, but otherwise a great board.

I upgraded about a year and a half ago to a HeroX/8700K/1080Ti... all still in my old Cooler Master ATC-111 case (a bitch for water cooling, but I still love it) :D

not looking to sell, just wondering if someone is still running this setup.
I use one as a test bench for my repaired graphics cards. It seems like it would be an OK web browsing/word processing/actual work kind of setup, but it severely limits a graphics card as old as a GTX 690 in most games from the last ten years. Like, in Skyrim, the 690 is idling, but the game only runs at 50 FPS, because the FX8350's single core performance is so weak.

I think I paid about $40 for it a few months ago, with the big selling point being that it has a PCI-E slot and it's cheap.

I had like an FX4xxxx in the garage for years, but the motherboard power VRM’s made noise anytime the CPU processing. But it’s a garage computer so didn’t want to spend much on it. Replaced it with an intel Q6600 and just had to put an SSD in it. Just has to open PDF’s, watch YouTube and stream music as a garage computer.

So proud of those garage computers that are old as hell and have to brave big temperature swings throughout the year. Unsung heroes.

Reactions: c3k
like this
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0. Not too shabby of a board.

My current rig in my sig replaced my FX-8350 system that has this board. My FX-8350 system is still up and running. I actually played a few rounds of PUBG on it last night. I repalced the R9 290x with an RX 580. I'm not sure what I want to do with it, though. I don't really have a need for two desktops since I have a work laptop, work iPad and a personal Surface Pro 4.

not looking to sell, just wondering if someone is still running this setup.
Yeah,
My "gaming rig" is a 8350. I don't game beyond 1080p so it ROCKED with a RX480 card. The demand for those cards got huge so I pulled it out and sold it when the bit mining craze was hot.
Played The Witcher 3 at 1080p, all setting maxed. Never a hiccup. Been planning on grabbing a RX590 to replace it but just not done it yet. Too many other things on my plate.

Yeah,
My "gaming rig" is a 8350. I don't game beyond 1080p so it ROCKED with a RX480 card. The demand for those cards got huge so I pulled it out and sold it when the bit mining craze was hot.
Played The Witcher 3 at 1080p, all setting maxed. Never a hiccup. Been planning on grabbing a RX590 to replace it but just not done it yet. Too many other things on my plate.

Save yourself some cash and get an OC edition (Strix, MSI, Aorus all about the same) RX 570. It'll run rings around a 480 and be a good bit cheaper than a 590. jm2c

Yeah,

I've got an RX 590 if you're interested.

i was running the FX 8150 with gtx 770 SLI.. Just upgraded a month ago. Had the 8150 at 5gz stable underwater. Could heat my whole room in the winter LOL. But over all it was a good set up.

EDIT: My 8150 blew my wifes old Qx6700 out the water. Not on par, Just flat out more power for most things

Last edited:
Back