AMD FX-8150 Multi-GPU Gameplay Performance Review @ [H]

So I actually jumped on this when Microcenter tossed in the Free MOBO for 199.99. I heard that WIN 8 may have a positive affect on the cores for this processor. Is there any truth to this?

So I actually jumped on this when Microcenter tossed in the Free MOBO for 199.99. I heard that WIN 8 may have a positive affect on the cores for this processor. Is there any truth to this?

If that is true it'll be great. I would consider the Micro center deal... $150 for the FX8120 and $40 dollars discount towards a motherboard makes it more appealing.

Man do I tire of hearing about all the harm Intel is doing with their business dealings. Intel is 2 miles down the street from my house and I personally know many of their employees. Hard working red blooded Americans that I'm proud to associate with. Does anyone consider the good Intel does? Like their employee volunteer programs that give money to homeless shelters based on # of hours of their employees volunteer at a given charity. Show me a fortune 500 company that hasnt drifted into the grey areas of business ethics? I'd much rather see all this hoopla pointed towards the world banking systems and all the BS they pull on a daily basis. http://twitter.com/nandaUganda/statuses/213083785384833024 Intel= in it to win it. If ya cant run with the big dog dont't get off the porch. Intel employees work hard to give us the best possible products they can and that is that. BTW I also use amd processors in two of my eight running systems and they are fine for what I use them for so please spare me the fanboi BS.

Man do I tire of hearing about all the harm Intel is doing with their business dealings. Intel is 2 miles down the street from my house and I personally know many of their employees. Hard working red blooded Americans that I'm proud to associate with. Does anyone consider the good Intel does? Like their employee volunteer programs that give money to homeless shelters based on # of hours of their employees volunteer at a given charity. Show me a fortune 500 company that hasnt drifted into the grey areas of business ethics? I'd much rather see all this hoopla pointed towards the world banking systems and all the BS they pull on a daily basis. http://twitter.com/nandaUganda/statuses/213083785384833024 Intel= in it to win it. If ya cant run with the big dog dont't get off the porch. Intel employees work hard to give us the best possible products they can and that is that. BTW I also use amd processors in two of my eight running systems and they are fine for what I use them for so please spare me the fanboi BS.

What the hell does that have to do with anything performance related, nobody said anything about the regular joe employees. I'm pretty sure that people know that they are just like us trying to make a living. Shut the hell up about the fanboy crap, it's a idiotic way of just calling people names and sterotyping people just because they don't agree with you. Every company who has made it big has done the PR donations to make themselves look good. Rich basketball players do it all the time so people won't realize how much of an asshole they are. Intel employees just like employees anywhere work their ass off to get a paycheck and feed their familys. Thanks for letting us know you have amd systems, that must mean you are completely unbiased yourself right?

sooo any advantage on the bulldozer architecture with the final windows 8 build?

Intel has been fined several million dollars for unethical business practice. In 2007-8 they dumped cpu / hardware into developing countries UNDERCOST to bar AMD from the market. AMD won the lawsuit on this but the money provided was no where near the money they would have gained if they had a fair shot at the market.

Redblooded or not - some people are just bad apples.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Counts-on-Windows-8-to-Tap-Into-FX-CPU-Performance-227997.shtml

Possibly? It's an old article. I am thinking about getting the newegg deal for FX-8120 for $149 and 8 cores seems underused now, but probably normal in a year or two.

I almost regret upgrading from a 4 core to 6 core Phenom. I don't have one program that uses all six. I haven't maxed out the chip yet. Personally, I don't think anything above 4 cores is necessary unless you do a lot of media encoding and gaming at the same time.

Just thought I would give my experience with the fx 8120 whitch is about the same as the fx 8150. Bought for $200 (all together) with good asus mother board at microcenter.
Anyway I don't see why every one is trashing on the bulldozer. It works grate.
I have no problems, runs at 35c full load @3.5ghz air cooled (only uses about 40-50% load when gaming skyrim and battlefield 3). Over all I am happy with it plus the price I got it at was very good.

Anyway I don't see why every one is trashing on the bulldozer. It works grate.

Then you need to read this thread an the other dozen or so similar to understand the reasons why people were unhappy with bulldozer.

There unhappy because of the hype that the bulldozer would bury the intel chips.
I'm happy because It works at a good price my amd pc lets me play the same games an intel would so whats to be unhappy about?

They also were unhappy about the initial price among other items. The 8150 was more expensive than the i5 2500 - which is its closest competitor.

Ya for the initial price I would have chosen intel hands down, but with the reduced price I got it at I got a good MB and the Fx 8120 for the price of the 2500k. (I put together this rig about march this year)
Any way I totally understand what the benches say and what you are saying as well but for the budget build I made I'm happy.

poor AMD I hope they can come out with some procs to compete with the top Intel again some day

Must have been said earlier in this titanic thread but .... nVidia drivers for sli on amd seemed to be borked in this old article.

A single card or crossfire would have looked different.

...you can argue the rights and wrongs of what should have worked on what and when as promised by such and such BUT ..... a single 580 would have ... hmmmm ..... 'reduced the variables' in this test somewhat :3

I will stay with my single graphics card setting. I will wait until the next generation AMD chips to come out. People here seem to forget AMD is the best bang for your bucks. I upgraded my platform from core 2 duo to 965 X4 for a lousy $190 bucks....that included the cpu, mobo, free memory and hyper 212. Do that with an intel and you are looking at a whopping nearly $600 bucks.

$190 plays arma 2 and 3 at excellent resolutions and FPS!

$600 bucks..yeah the fastest but not worth the money in my opinion.

Do that with an intel and you are looking at a whopping nearly $600 bucks.

I would expect the cost after selling your core2 system and upgrading to an i5 2500K or i5-3570K to be less than $300 US total.

Just got my 8320 build together. Looking to see how it stacks up to my 3570K.

i honestly see in my opinion that both chips have there strengths and weaknesses but to me the amd chips feel better for all round system performance if you run vmware and programs which are cpu intensive u effeminately see the difference int hat regard both are great in my opinion just get what u like really

Nobified[H];1039896445 said:
People here seem to forget AMD is the best bang for your bucks. I upgraded my platform from core 2 duo to 965 X4 for a lousy $190 bucks....that included the cpu, mobo, free memory and hyper 212. Do that with an intel and you are looking at a whopping nearly $600 bucks.
non-OC motherboard: $50
Ivy G2020 with cooler: $65
= $115.

That would be slower overall than the 965, so let's change the CPU to Ivy i3 3.3ghz 3220: $130
= $180.

I don't know what the $600 is buying.

How come this is the review that is still stickied? There is a Piledriver review, that is more current than this Bulldozer one...

Because it makes 8150 owners feel like they're still relevant. And we all know how whiney and bitchy those 8150 owners are so it's just best to keep them happy.

AMD's 8-core CPUs are a great low-cost option for home labs and virtualization on the cheap.

400px-Necro2.jpg

Back