AMD FX-8120 $124.99 ends 10/9

Nice chip as I own one, but the FX-8320 is only $153. I would pay the difference for the newer chip personally. Amazon does put the FX-8320 on sale for $144 from time to time.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice chip as I own one, but the FX-8320 is only $153. I would pay the difference for the newer chip personally. Amazon does put the FX-8320 on sale for $144 from time to time.

Mostly agreed. I have an 8120 as well. It was my primary rig before I put together my current build. I run it as a VM server now on occasion and while it powers through that job with aplomb it's also a massive heat-dump and power hog. The newer chip is probably worth it just for the increase in performance since the TDP is the same, etc. I've been looking forward to winter so I can run the 8120 more often without roasting alive in my office.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyone know how this compares to a 965 for running vms?

The AMD or Intel chip? In any case, they're both quad-cores, so 8 cores obviously gives you some more breathing room.

I'll also point out that about a year ago on my i7 laptop, running a Windows VM wth more than 1 core enabled with Virtualbox caused a lot of slowdown. Pretty sure it was a bug, might have been fixed by now. But I have no such issue on my desktop with an FX-8350.

Multiple VM's and octacore FX chips are a match made in heaven.

Mostly agreed. I have an 8120 as well. It was my primary rig before I put together my current build. I run it as a VM server now on occasion and while it powers through that job with aplomb it's also a massive heat-dump and power hog. The newer chip is probably worth it just for the increase in performance since the TDP is the same, etc. I've been looking forward to winter so I can run the 8120 more often without roasting alive in my office.

Ha ha I have HD 7950's in CrossfireX running at 1100 core and 6300 memory + the FX-8120 @4.3. My poor CoolerMaster 850w power supply can't take it. Going to snag a deal on a Corsair 1000w or bigger unit next month.

And yes the heat is great for my arthritis especially in the winter. :)

Back