AMD FX-4130 for $39.99

I just happened to be in the Downer's Grove area on a road trip from Milwaukee yesterday, and couldn't stop myself from picking one up at that price.

Time to start the musical chairs with desktop systems at home ;)

FX4130 + 970 motherboard move into computer case in theater room
Pentium G2020 + H61 motherboard move from theater room to son's game room
C2D E8400 + P41 motherboard move from son's game room into extra case and on to Craigslist ... which pays for the FX4130 and 970 motherboard.

Why can't everyone at least label the dam thread in store only. :mad:

Something like this would be nice:

"AMD FX-4130 for $39.99 Microcenter B&M"

That way those of us thousands of miles from a Microcenter will know not to get excited. :(

Something like this would be nice:

"AMD FX-4130 for $39.99 Microcenter B&M"

That way those of us thousands of miles from a Microcenter will know not to get excited. :(

ding ding ding. I'm not even close to one and when I saw this I pretty much assumed it was B&M only. Yup, wasn't wrong. :p

Microcenters are like the trolls of computer deals. Get you all excited and then you find out its hundreds of miles away :(

So find a member that does live by one. It wouldn't be the first time I ran to MC to ship off an item.

The one possible negative to this cpu is that it's 125W and won't work in the cheap boards at full speed, or maybe at all.

The one possible negative to this cpu is that it's 125W and won't work in the cheap boards at full speed, or maybe at all.

Got 4.2Ghz out of it on a cheap-ass Gigabyte mobo it came with about two months ago for ~$90 out the door. Slapped a $130 (at the time) 7850 in it, and got a secondary gaming box on the cheap...:cool:

Are these better than AthlonII x4 620's?

Yes they are a slight upgrade, if you can get one of these at microcenter at that price you could likely sell your 620 for the same price or maybe slighly higher.

Are these better than AthlonII x4 620's?

Really depends on what you want to do, and how high your 620 clocks.

With any architecture change there are some improvements and some issues.

Most stuff will see a performance increase (though not a ridiculous one) but some things (notably Scala compilation for some reason) will actually result in a step backwards. A friend of mine lost ~20% performance when he went from his Phenom II 965 to his new FX8350 in Scala compilation, both running at stock.

The Phenom II 965 is clocked at 3.4Ghz though vs. the Athlon II's 2.6Ghz, and has more cache than the AthlonII's

Last edited:
Thanks OP, don't know what I will do with it, perhaps building a Linux box but I'll swing by my local MC to grab one after work today.

Zarathustra[H];1040721898 said:
Really depends on what you want to do, and how high your 620 clocks.

With any architecture change there are some improvements and some issues.

Most stuff will see a performance increase (though not a ridiculous one) but some things (notably Scala compilation for some reason) will actually result in a step backwards. A friend of mine lost ~20% performance when he went from his Phenom II 965 to his new FX8350 in Scala compilation, both running at stock.

The Phenom II 965 is clocked at 3.4Ghz though vs. the Athlon II's 2.6Ghz, and has more cache than the AthlonII's

At stock clocks the FX-4130 falls somewhere in-between the Athlon II 620 and Phenom II 965. I would expect both the 4130 and 965 to OC about the same (around 15-20%) while I have no idea how well the 620 will OC.

I am trying to decide if this would be a good CPU for a medium budget gaming machine.

I was thinking about picking this up, a relatively cheap MB with crossfire capability ($40) and maybe 1 or 2 r7 265 (if can find in stock) or possibly a 270/270x. (perhaps even a better GPU)

I am trying to figure out why one would spend an extra $100-200 for a better cpu/mb combo for a gaming machine. It seems taking that money and using it on a better GPU, or just simply saving the cash, may be a better option. Originally, I was thinking of going with an i5 4670k (which is about $280 with MB) and a 750 ti. It might be a bit better than the above, but $200 better? What if I took that extra $200 price difference and applied it to better GPU with that FX 4130?

I am sure the FX 4130 would hold the higher end GPU back some, but I would think in gaming, I would still get more performance with the FX 4130 and high end GPU, than the i5 with a 750 ti or 760 - for about the same price.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

I probably should have posted this in the processor section. But it is already here now.

I am trying to decide if this would be a good CPU for a medium budget gaming machine.

I was thinking about picking this up, a relatively cheap MB with crossfire capability ($40) and maybe 1 or 2 r7 265 (if can find in stock) or possibly a 270/270x. (perhaps even a better GPU)

I have mine paired with a gtx 680 and the only game I've been CPU limited by is swtor (but I still never get less that 40fps), but I'd imagine that it'd be like that for any MMO. I wouldn't switch. It does what I need and for super cheap. That, and AMD likes to keep sockets and mount locations longer so the cooler you get can last longer without having to buy extra brackets...but that's just a plus to me I guess.

Back