AMD Fury X... Wait, no DVI?!

Voxata

Limp Gawd
Well crap, they've done away with DVI. I've got an Asus asus vg278h monitor with no display port capability. Does anyone know of a solid adapter, I'm guessing I need active, that will support DP to DVI and carry 120Hz @ 1080p? I'm guessing the Fury X will be a complete overclocking beast, and I'd really like to give it a go after the card rolls out. Hopeful this isn't a show stopper though as I do still really enjoy this monitor.

Don't they both have hdmi connectors? So maybe no adapter needed? Or does hdmi have a limitation im unaware of? i guess the hdmi wont do the 120hz @1080p? Figured your thread could use the bump regardless
I also agree the fury x looks to be the best card to come out in well.....ever;)

HDMI is single stream, so there is no dual link passive adapter.

so no dice after 1200p

HDMI is single stream, so there is no dual link passive adapter.

so no dice after 1200p

Just because i need to learn this...can you go into more detail please:eek: So 1200p is same as 1080p at 120hz so hdmi wouldn't do any good for that? ok i get it i guess:eek:
sorry lol you reply faster than i can edit my questions

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not only that - Those active DP to dual link adapters bork out over 75Hz or so.

I run one so I can drive a overclockable 120Hz Korean monitor with a DP. The monitor does 120Hz fine over DVI. But with the adaptor, can't get over 70Hz without the adaptor crashing.

If there's no DVI on the Fury I'm not interested.

Ops...anyway welcome to the no D-DVI means No Fury club bro.
BUT by any chance MSI or ASUS or XFX going to put D-DVI on the card?

Well, there goes my Fury purchase. My Korean 1440p monitor is DVI only, and I can't justify spending a ton on an adaptor.

Given that a 1440p Korean overclockable PLS monitor is still the best gaming monitor out there, I'm sticking with it, and will wait for a video card with DVI.

Given that a 1440p Korean overclockable PLS monitor is still the best gaming monitor out there, I'm sticking with it, and will wait for a video card with DVI.
Yup, I wont be buying this without DVI...

what are they thinking?

Amazing with the amount of these Korean 1440p monitors out there that AMD would do this. I have one as well that is DVI only ;/ No way Id spend $100+ for an adapter. Ill just sit on what I have for awhile and go SLI if I have to ;/

Dropped frames when overclocked, no ULMB, average display lag and response time compared to TN or top-tier IPS, and no G-Sync/FreeSync.

How the hell are these the "best gaming monitors"?

Dropped frames when overclocked, no ULMB, average display lag and response time compared to TN or top-tier IPS, and no G-Sync/FreeSync.

Ah, your problem is misinformation.
The correct monitors (X-STAR DP2710, Qnix) do not drop frames, and offer zero (0) input lag.

Their only downside is pixel response is a bit slower then a TN.

But the far superior viewing angle and color quality overcomes that, IMHO.

You guys realize that its possible AMD will add in the adapter when you buy the video card?

They did with there top end cards, why would that change?

I'm indifferent to the Nvidia/AMD thing, but this sounds stupid. I too have a 1440p with a single DVI connector. Good thing I planned on sticking with the SLI 970's for some time until I can figure out the next move.

Is the Fury X gonna have any aftermarket companies making it? Or will be like Nvidia's Titans?

Because then even if they include adapters, I don't see aftermarket companies doing it as well.

I've used those active adapters before and they are a PITA. I had a 7970 lightning, had DVI, but not dual link, so I had to use an HDMI to dual link DVI active adapter I paid $100 for. It crashed all the time. I'd never mess with one again.

Ah, your problem is misinformation.
The correct monitors (X-STAR DP2710, Qnix) do not drop frames, and offer zero (0) input lag.

Their only downside is pixel response is a bit slower then a TN.

But the far superior viewing angle and color quality overcomes that, IMHO.

Even the latest QNIX reviewed on TFTCentral (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/qnix_qx320qhd.htm) drops frames over 100Hz, and has insanely high pixel response times. They flat-out state it's not recommended for gaming. The other QNIX models don't fare very well either. Viewing angles and color quality doesn't make a monitor good for gaming.

And still no G-Sync/FreeSync or ULMB. The only reason to buy these Korean monitors is because they're relatively cheap.

No DVI and no HDMI 2.0.

Why should we buy this card again?
Same price performance, needs water cooling, draws more power, 4GB VRAM, and less connectivity.

Fury came up small....literally.

Even the latest QNIX reviewed on TFTCentral (http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/qnix_qx320qhd.htm) drops frames over 100Hz, and has insanely high pixel response times. They flat-out state it's not recommended for gaming. The other QNIX models don't fare very well either. Viewing angles and color quality doesn't make a monitor good for gaming.

And still no G-Sync/FreeSync or ULMB. The only reason to buy these Korean monitors is because they're relatively cheap.

Stop spreading this crap. That monitor was not on my list.
The DP2710LED/ QX2710 do not drop frames. Period. All the way to 135Hz on mine (although you get all kinds of other problems that high.)
I don't care about some review of an unrelated monitor.
Christ.

No DVI and no HDMI 2.0.

Same price performance, needs water cooling, draws more power, 4GB VRAM, and less connectivity.

Holy shit I was about to spout off about how dumb you were except I looked it up. The HDMI port is really HDMI 1.4. WTF were they thinking?

I can see getting rid of DVI but including an HDMI port that doesn't support 4k60 is asinine.

Just because i need to learn this...can you go into more detail please:eek: So 1200p is same as 1080p at 120hz so hdmi wouldn't do any good for that? ok i get it i guess:eek:
sorry lol you reply faster than i can edit my questions

HDMI is fine, 1.4 goes up to 2160p@30hz.

Dual link DVI literally has 2 TMDS streams.

A single TMDS DVI stream is only good up to 1200p 60hz, so you need 2 over that.

HDMI only has one, regardless of the reso.

You cant just split it, you would have to "actively" resample the stream.

If your going to do that, you might as well use DP instead of HDMI, its a better technology.

As someone mentioned above, they aint cheap.

Last edited:

Best is an overstatement, but dropped frames don't really occur on all of them (Just drop it a few hz if it does), display lag and response time I thought was fairly good for a non-TN panel, also they arent TN...

Anything 24"+ is awful for TN in my opinion.

Good thing I read this thread. My interest in AMD's card will be purely academic then :p

guys guys.. if you use passive dual-link adapters you will be running off of the card's native DVI output, which will give you the bandwidth you need. you shouldn't need an active adapter.

no you cant

as i explained above, dual link CANNOT be passive.

These cards do not have native DVI.

HDMI and DP only

Stop spreading this crap. That monitor was not on my list.
The DP2710LED/ QX2710 do not drop frames. Period. All the way to 135Hz on mine (although you get all kinds of other problems that high.)
I don't care about some review of an unrelated monitor.
Christ.

Oh? The QX2710 that AnandTech states has input lag too high for gaming? Or the fact that it started dropping frames after 90Hz?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7931/qnix-qx2710leddport-review/5

Keep moving those goal posts.

Same situation w/ the korean 1440 only with a d dvi, I would rather make a monitor upgrade then spend a hundred bucks on an adapter.

No DVI and no HDMI 2.0.

Several of those things are not known.

But give it a week and then you'll be able to have some justified disdain. Or a mouthful of crow... whatever.

Why doesn't my computer have ISA and AGP and VGA and parallel and 34 pin floppy and mini-din for keyboard and mouse? Oh yeah, because old. DVI is officially added to that list since 2010, so if you bought a monitor in the last 5 years that relies on DVI, then you got what you paid for. I do currently use DVI for one of my monitors but that's only because I'm too lazy to buy a mini-dp to dp cable... And my next video card will have full size DP.

Why doesn't my computer have ISA and AGP and VGA and parallel and 34 pin floppy and mini-din for keyboard and mouse? Oh yeah, because old. DVI is officially added to that list since 2010, so if you bought a monitor in the last 5 years that relies on DVI, then you got what you paid for. I do currently use DVI for one of my monitors but that's only because I'm too lazy to buy a mini-dp to dp cable... And my next video card will have full size DP.

I couldn't agree more. Everyone complaining about legacy connectivity probably don't need a Fury X.

I also had a Qnix Evo 2 @ 115hz, and boy was it a shit experience. What do you expect from a single legacy input monitor for $260 with no real company behind it? SMH. Thanks AMD for getting rid of DVI and Crossfire fingers - someone had to do it eventually.

I couldn't agree more. Everyone complaining about legacy connectivity probably don't need a Fury X.

I also had a Qnix Evo 2 @ 115hz, and boy was it a shit experience. What do you expect from a single legacy input monitor for $260 with no real company behind it? SMH. Thanks AMD for getting rid of DVI and Crossfire fingers - someone had to do it eventually.

Ok, perfectly reasonable to expect a "legacy" connection to disappear. Advancement of the technology, we all get it.

So why do you put HDMI 1.4 on the card? Where is the advancement?

it does 1440p wich is the sweet spot right now.

DP is for 4k.

Ahhh, so its ok to do away with one type of legacy port but not the other :rolleyes:

Again, there are a lot of enthusiasts who use the Korean 1440p panels which only have a DVI port. Hell, go find the hundreds upon hundreds of pages on OCN. AMD is basically burning us all to do away with "legacy" all while keeping "legacy".

Oh? The QX2710 that AnandTech states has input lag too high for gaming? Or the fact that it started dropping frames after 90Hz?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7931/qnix-qx2710leddport-review/5

Keep moving those goal posts.

Again, not the same monitor.

The QX2710 he is referring to is the DVI-only model. Same with the x-star. You replied as though you were familiar with the history of the Korean 1440p PLS monitors - but even from the DVI / Gaming context of this thread, it could have been inferred that gamers want a DVI-only model for some reason. The reason:

Refresh Rate: 96Hz without dropping frames is common. 110Hz+ and you may see some dropped frames even on an upgraded DVI-D cable. Still, many of these panels make it beyond 120Hz. A custom calibrated color profile is necessary because there is noticeable gamma-shift when increasing refresh rate. Common profiles are available for 96Hz to 120Hz. I wish someone would make a profile for the 72-84hz range (which I'm limited to when using a 25ft DVI cable).

Input Lag: I don't know, but it's relatively low. I had thought it was usually 1 frame of lag at 60Hz. Forum member "NCX" would know.

Pixel Refresh: 1440p PLS is slightly slower than the Korean 1440p IPS (Achieva Shimian / Yamakasi / Overlord / etc) displays, I think. You'll get some blur. This isn't a fast TN panel.

The bad:

Backlight Bleed and QC: Problematic. Backlight bleed is common. There are fixes. The fixes require dismantling... and there will likely still be some leakage. It is also cheaply made. Expected.

Best Gaming monitor? I don't know about that, but it was a good option if you were willing to take the risk.

Back