AMD Fury series coming soon.

False. June 24th Fury X, July 14th Fury Pro. Nano is later.

What about the air cooled fury X? Is that going to just be the Fury Pro, with the Fury X being WC only? Are those dates actual release dates into stores to buy? There is no mention of air cooled fury X pricing so maybe the Fury X is WC only and the Fury Pro is the air cooled version?

At the beginning of the stream, Lisa Su also said that the Fury X was running Tomb Raider at 60 fps at 4k. The Titan X averages 40 fps in that game. That's about the best we have in terms of performance #$'s right now.

That remains to be seen. July 14th will be the day that I decide to move off my 780s back to Radeon products or I continue to wait.

I will wait if vanilla Fury isn't better than the 980 in my three key requirements: 1.) performance, 2.) lower power draw, and 3.) lower heat output. If it is to be priced at $550, then the extra $50 over current 980 pricing better translate to wins in all three metrics.

Can answer that for you already 1) yes will be faster than a 980 2) Will have higher power draw than a 980 3) will have more heat output than a 980.

Comparing a heavily overclocked 980 to a mildly OC fury the fury would still win in performance but the power and heat would be closer... Although still better on the 980.

I will get a fury non X to replace my GTX 970 for 1440p gaming probably.

At the beginning of the stream, Lisa Su also said that the Fury X was running Tomb Raider at 60 fps at 4k. The Titan X averages 40 fps in that game. That's about the best we have in terms of performance #$'s right now.

That's empty statement without test place and detail levels.

Titan X is alot faster then that in that game......

Its likely frame rate locked too

Edit TDslam beat me to it.

What reviews did you read?

"Board temperature" full cover block confirmed? :)
I might actually buy that thing.

$549 for air is too tempting.

What about the air cooled fury X? Is that going to just be the Fury Pro, with the Fury X being WC only? Are those dates actual release dates into stores to buy? There is no mention of air cooled fury X pricing so maybe the Fury X is WC only and the Fury Pro is the air cooled version?

AMD themselves said it burns 275W at the most during the live stream.

Thank you both! (I'm at work and can't watch the live stream).

100W less than the highest "prediction". May very well mean good things to come for the air cooled models in regards to low power draw and heat.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-...nces-Radeon-R9-Fury-X-and-Fury-Graphics-Cards

PCPER said:
AMD's Joe Macri said on stage that the cooler they designed is built for up to 500 watts but that the board was only going to draw 275 watts, while keeping the board temperature down to 50C!

Thanks for that, as well!

Last edited:
My question is. I know the guru3d benchmark does not have tressfx enabled.

Does the Hexus review?

I think if you enable it then possibly titan X or 980ti cannot do 60fps?

Oh, woops, ignore my comment about 40 fps & the Titan. Was looking at a 4k SURROUND bench on normal settings lol.

From here: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/83819-evga-geforce-gtx-980-ti-superclocked-acx-20/?page=8
Tomb Raider on a EVGA 980Ti SC+ averages 63 fps in 4K

The fury X was at 60fps in 4K or was it 70fps in 4K. I thought she said it was 70 and Sniper elite 3 was running 45 fps in 5K. Either way those aren't bad numbers as a initial comparison, but still I want to know performance @ 4K with a high VRAM game like GTAV.

The numbers aren't bad, but they give no compelling reason to get the Fury over the 980ti. As much hype they kept doing on 4k, I would expect and need to see a 25%+ increase over the ti to justify losing 2GB of VRAM.

My question is. I know the guru3d benchmark does not have tressfx enabled.

Does the Hexus review?

I think if you enable it then possibly titan X or 980ti cannot do 60fps?

Doesnt matter, since we dont know the settings AMD used on the Fiji cards, so there is no base for comparison.

Yes, I am very glad since I just sold off my custom water loop parts (too much hassle). Best info so far!

Heh, I was budgeting and shopping for water cooling gear. We can forget about that now!

AMD themselves said it burns 275W at the most during the live stream.

I can confirm I heard him say that too. At 50*C.....

OK! My excitement level seriously just shot up 1000%! :D:D:D

The numbers aren't bad, but they give no compelling reason to get the Fury over the 980ti. As much hype they kept doing on 4k, I would expect and need to see a 25%+ increase over the ti to justify losing 2GB of VRAM.

Why, it's not 2GB of GDDR5 for both cards

Along with the 970 gets glowing recommendations.

But if you want to worry about that then the 390X > 980TI by leaps and bounds, extra 2GB for $100 less

Why, it's not 2GB of GDDR5 for both cards

Along with the 970 gets glowing recommendations.

But if you want to worry about that then the 390X > 980TI by leaps and bounds, extra 2GB for $100 less

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015..._980_ti_video_card_gpu_review/10#.VYBnZPnF9N4

From the conclusion

"At 4K though 4GB of VRAM is clearly not enough. At 4K you want at a MINIMUM 6GB. It is possible though that more may actually help as you start increasing the number of video cards in SLI. 6GB might actually not be enough for some games in 4K when SLI is involved, we will see."

Doesnt matter, since we dont know the settings AMD used on the Fiji cards, so there is no base for comparison.

Very good point, but I can tell you right now Tressfx was enabled. So right there I Can tell you the guru3d and hexus benchmarks (if they didn't use tressfx) aren't reliable either.

The hexus disabled tressfx IIRC.

True but you can estimate a ballpark if you are considering a 980Ti vs Fury X. Personally I am not sure yet myself. I am still leaning towards a 980Ti Hybrid even if it is $100 more just because of the Gameworks situation. I don't want to wait 2 weeks after release to play the game without an AMD speed penalty. Yeah that isn't really fair, but that is the reality of a good portion of the game releases so it has to factor in my decision.

Fury is 550$, woooo

Can't even use either of my monitors with it, but this will hopefully help AMD stay competitive

haha, im in the exact same position. qnix 2710 dvi.only and fw900.
Not gonna deal with active adapters which are expensive and not always working 100%
If AIB designs will not feature DVI (have to use DP to VGA already with my r9 290x)
i'll get the 980 TI

Very good point, but I can tell you right now Tressfx was enabled. So right there I Can tell you the guru3d and hexus benchmarks (if they didn't use tressfx) aren't reliable either.

If AMD used full settings, it might be something in it that they talked about doing with memory usage. One screen was 4K with Tomb Raider, while the other a 5K screen with Sniper Elite 3. One of the slides showed a lot of games, including Shadow of Mordor in UltraHD 4K. Thats a game that can make 4GB GPUs nervous.

If AMD used full settings, it might be something in it that they talked about doing with memory usage. One screen was 4K with Tomb Raider, while the other a 5K screen with Sniper Elite 3. One of the slides showed a lot of games, including Shadow of Mordor in UltraHD 4K. Thats a game that can make 4GB GPUs nervous.

SoM is actually fine with 4K, the 2 truely stressful games with memory are GTAV and Thief from this site:
http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/89/much-vram-need-1080p-1440p-4k/index.html

If the fury nano really is half the TDP of a 290 then they've got a sale. That thing looks perfect for my machine.

Yeah at 4k it becomes a 390x 8gb lol. Looks like this may be the card to get for 1440p. 4k is not main stream enough. I smell a 980ti price drop if its beating the Titan.

Synthetic benches but if they translate to games, going to pick one up instead of the custom ti's I've been waiting on.

Just need some news on full cover blocks for it (dgaf about aio).

Why isn't fury and fury-x at least 6gb?
If the 3D Mark results are correct, then it shows that 4GB is fine for these cards up to 4k, but not beyond. That is fine for this generation of cards considering that 4K isn't even the mainstream yet.

If the 3D Mark results are correct, then it shows that 4GB is fine for these cards up to 4k, but not beyond. That is fine for this generation of cards considering that 4K isn't even the mainstream yet.

390 series is for mainstream gamers. These are enthusiasts cards. Plenty of enthusiasts game at 4k.

Back