AMD Fury series coming soon.

Maybe AMD shouldn't have marketed it so hard as a "4K card", with 4K slathered over all the slides in their E3 presentation.

One word: Marketing, the 290x was a super 4k card too. Remember? :D

damn this thread was a goofy ass ride.

the fury x looks somewhat juicy, but it aint enough (same with the 980ti).

4GB really is an issue for the non-1080p'ers/AA junkies like meself (trad. and shader-based); call me a minority, call me an enthusiast, it doesnt matter. i dont buy a GPU just to play todays games, i want it to play tomorrow's games too, and unless vram usage goes down in future games (ha... but hey it could), vanilla settings at 4k will likely eat up 4GB+ at times. most important to me however is having the headroom for modding and forcing graphics settings. i already have a card with 4GB, i already run ~4k resolutions (how close to 4k depends on the game), and i already max out 4GB. you know when youve maxed out your vram, you can feel it, as im sure a lot of yall know.

and of course you dont need a 4k tv to run games at 4k, nor do you need a 4k tv to see the benefits of running a game at 4k. if your pc clobbers 1080p and you have a 1080p monitor, downsample ya doofus - free image quality.

~50fps w/ far cry 4 @4k? that isnt exciting, however the minimum fps of ~40 is pretty damn good. a delta of ~10 fps between the avg and minimum? fuck yeah.

if HBM1 can show a nice tangible boost, thatll make HBM2 really exciting.

and big screens are where its at. 144hz better than 60hz? no shit. higher PPI a good thing? of course. but there are ~5" 1440p phone screens... how come no one uses those for gaming? because comparatively, small screens suck. high PPI is amazing, but small screens suck. they suck hard.

hdmi 2.0 aint hot shit, but i can say hdmi 1.4a sucks shit. any of yall ever played a game at 24hz or 30hz? its miserable. go create custom resolutions at those refresh rates and play a game. its unacceptable. hdmi 2.0 sucks due to color limitations, but if youre stuck using hdmi and want 4k gaming, having to use 1.4a is a legitimate complaint, esp. if 4k gaming is, you know, one of the main marketing points of a flagship gpu. hope the vendors offer 2.0.

all in all, fuck yeah amd. fury x is not a card for me, but if itll light a fire under nvidias ass, cheers!

And what exactly has been the benefit of HDMI 2.0 on those cards? Yeah you can say you have it and wave the Nvidia pride flag but who actually is using it?

HDMI 2.0 the most worthless thing since _______. (fill in the blank)

i own a vizio 4k 50" set that does 60hz at 4k

so yeah amd should have put hdmi 2.0

AMD has this all planned out and you guys dont even see it. They mentioned reduced chip die in the future , faster clocks etc etc. this fury x will be obsolete in 3-4 months

4k tvs are dropping in price heck i bought a refurb vizo 50" for 420.00 slickdeal....

2016 sets will all be 60hz at 4k and be widely available at a nice price. so yeah again amd should have invested in 2.0 hdmi. Personally there is potential for people like myself to make a steam machine in big picture mode. I am not saying all games like FPS are meant to run on TVs but those who want to play action /arcade 60hz at 4k is where you want to be at.

damn this thread was a goofy ass ride.

the fury x looks somewhat juicy, but it aint enough (same with the 980ti).

4GB really is an issue for the non-1080p'ers/AA junkies like meself (trad. and shader-based); call me a minority, call me an enthusiast, it doesnt matter. i dont buy a GPU just to play todays games, i want it to play tomorrow's games too, and unless vram usage goes down in future games (ha... but hey it could), vanilla settings at 4k will likely eat up 4GB+ at times. most important to me however is having the headroom for modding and forcing graphics settings. i already have a card with 4GB, i already run ~4k resolutions (how close to 4k depends on the game), and i already max out 4GB. you know when youve maxed out your vram, you can feel it, as im sure a lot of yall know.

and of course you dont need a 4k tv to run games at 4k, nor do you need a 4k tv to see the benefits of running a game at 4k. if your pc clobbers 1080p and you have a 1080p monitor, downsample ya doofus - free image quality.

~50fps w/ far cry 4 @4k? that isnt exciting, however the minimum fps of ~40 is pretty damn good. a delta of ~10 fps between the avg and minimum? fuck yeah.

if HBM1 can show a nice tangible boost, thatll make HBM2 really exciting.

and big screens are where its at. 144hz better than 60hz? no shit. higher PPI a good thing? of course. but there are ~5" 1440p phone screens... how come no one uses those for gaming? because comparatively, small screens suck. high PPI is amazing, but small screens suck. they suck hard.

hdmi 2.0 aint hot shit, but i can say hdmi 1.4a sucks shit. any of yall ever played a game at 24hz or 30hz? its miserable. go create custom resolutions at those refresh rates and play a game. its unacceptable. hdmi 2.0 sucks due to color limitations, but if youre stuck using hdmi and want 4k gaming, having to use 1.4a is a legitimate complaint, esp. if 4k gaming is, you know, one of the main marketing points of a flagship gpu. hope the vendors offer 2.0.

all in all, fuck yeah amd. fury x is not a card for me, but if itll light a fire under nvidias ass, cheers!

colors look good on my set , anyway nvidia next shield will be incredible.
i am willing to invest in gsync this year when the asus 144hz ips gsync monitor comes out

Any sites missing from this list?

AnandTech
HardOCP
Guru3D
TechPowerup
TomsHardware
OC3D
TechSpot
TechReport
LegitReviews
HardwareCanucks
ExtremeTech
Bit-Tech
Hexus
GamersNexus
ArsTechnica
PCWorld
PCGamer

Well I think their graphics division will keep them going, possibly flat to little loss, much less then they had this quarter till Zen comes out, if Zen isn't good, they are going to have problems,

Their credit rating has been slashed from B+ to B- if I'm not mistaken, this past quarter, so loans are out of the question, not to mention they are paying high interest on the current loan they are in right now.

They were also ramping production in 1H '15 for releasing products late Q2 '15 plus finishing the restructuring in Q1 and Q2... More directed at the other guy stating the losses in Q1.

~7.25% is a pretty good rate....

Gta v benches look odd.

They all do...

Sorry to interrupt this meandering meeting of hotdog and condiment aficionados, but does anyone know when the NDA expires so Reviews of the Fury X should start to appear?

KBjRAQu.png

Not looking good. Not looking good.

Thanks.

Now I can get a good night's sleep and let folks get back to claiming that AMD is going bankrupt within seconds because the coolant in the Fury X is the wrong color and/or didn't drip from Jen Hsun's sack so it can't be the GPU elixir of the Gods.

Why are the minimums FPS lower with OC?

Because the card is overclocked too hard and is throttling. I do it all the time for epeenery. But then I turn it down to a more reasonable amount and play games at that speed.

Or those "benches" are BS

Go look at TPU's 4K benches (or AT's, or Guru3D's for that matter) and see where the 980 Ti is at compared to those leaked benches

EDIT: GTA V 4K bench from HardOCP's own 390X review:

1434612549l1GBQzJE5q_8_2.gif

Those Fury X numbers look off.

Last edited:
Those benches are terrible. There is like zero consistency across the various benchmarks, and the Call of Duty once has hilarious shit like a 30% overclocked 980Ti performing 50% better over stock.

Clickbait, nothing more.

lol damn didn't even notice that

In addition to SSAA, nVidia now has SSOC (super-scaling overclocking) LOL j/k

Shit benches are shit

Damm if those VMOD becnhmarks are real, the Fury X is getting crapped on. I hope it aint real, because srsly AMD will go bank rupt, that's terrible performance. :(

Cmon get with my time it's already 5PM here in Adelaide, Australia. We have enjoyed the Fury X all day already and ready to pass them onto you guys ;)

Nano will be cut down, but I haven't seen any official confirmation that Air Fury will be cut down (other than WCCFTech who have no source)

well the price is significantly less on the Fury non-X ($550 I believe is what AMD stated)

can't imagine they would charge you $100 more for a watercooler and keep the exact same chip on both

i'd actually bet money that they'll be different chips

also, there's a real reason why the Fury X is watercooled. it isn't a coincedence that the Fury X's temps are almost identical to Hawaii's temps on water. it's because it's a chip that runs hot as fuck and is most likely clocked very high out the gate thus the poor stock voltage OC's people are finding

lol damn didn't even notice that

In addition to SSAA, nVidia now has SSOC (super-scaling overclocking) LOL j/k

Shit benches are shit

Lot of nvidia lobbying atm going on.
fear make people do nutty things:D

looks more/less like a titan x, cant wait to see H's review

the fact that it's so close to a titan x in Heaven looks promising, as unigine benches run better on NV hardware, noticeably better

Well those are far better benchmarks than VmodTech.

If it's within 5% of a Titan X at 4K in most games, then mission accomplished I guess.

Back