AMD FreeSync Coming to Xbox One S and Xbox One X

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A tear-free, stutter-free gaming experience is on the way for Xbox owners who happen to own a FreeSync monitor: in the new monthly series “Inside Xbox,” an AMD employee revealed that both consoles will support variable refresh rate on AMD Radeon FreeSync displays.

Antal Tungler from AMD announced that Xbox One S and Xbox One X will support variable refresh rate on AMD Radeon FreeSync displays. Freesync technology helps get rid of tearing and stuttering while gaming, enabling the display and Xbox One to work together to create a smooth and seamless gaming experience.

That's actually pretty cool!

Agreed, this is a great addition. I imagine there will be very people gaming with an Xbox on a Freesync monitor, but it should be a welcome addition none-the-less. Say what you will about Microsoft or the Xbox, but they seem to be working hard to make positive, meaningful changes. On the right monitor, this will make a world of difference for console games that struggle to hit 60fps.

Freesync (or G-sync) was one of the major advantages that PC had over console. Sure the console still has a weak CPU but a GPU equivalent to the one it has inside would likely cost you $400-500 (i.e. 1060 6gb or RX 580). I've always been a PC guy (and am happy with my system) but this might push me over the edge into recommending a console for those just getting into gaming now given the insane prices of mining inflated GPUs.

Seems like Sony is kinda slipping, no 1440p support now MS comes out with this. Good for Xbox owners who also go the freesync route on PC. (Tho I'm a gsync dude myself)

cool, still wouldn't buy an xbox, no exclu worth playing...
imagine an exclusive using all the 6TF of compute at 1080p @30fps, would have 1000% more impact than 10 multiplatform games old gen running at 4k@60fps, spencer is an idiot.

I wish the higher end AMD Graphics cards could come to PC so I could go to Freesync :(
I wish I had more disposable income so I could get a freesync monitor (not that they're terribly expensive, but I just don't have any extra money right now):cry:

I wish I had more disposable income so I could get a freesync monitor (not that they're terribly expensive, but I just don't have any extra money right now):cry:

There's a bunch of stuff you can do for supplemental income, Survey's, Dog Walking / Sitting , Yard Sale , flip old furniture , drive for lyft / uber , work two weekends out of the month, ect.

There's a bunch of stuff you can do for supplemental income, Survey's, Dog Walking / Sitting , Yard Sale , flip old furniture , drive for lyft / uber , work two weekends out of the month, ect.
Don't like surveys, can only just stand dogs, don't have enough to constitute a yard sale (unless empty boxes and some old clothes count), flipping furniture might be good but need to invest in furniture and upholstery first, I'd probably just keep it at that point. Honestly, working overtime is probably the best bet for me. Don't mind me, just whining publicly. lol

Freesync... via HDMI? I thought the monitors were DP only?
Nope. Most older stuff doesn't support it officially because it wasn't included in the spec yet, and some only partially support it, but it definitely works over hdmi.

I wish the higher end AMD Graphics cards could come to PC so I could go to Freesync :(

At msrp the 580 and vega 56 isn't half bad value.
But god the vega is not a piece of great hardware, I got mine for 1070 price (msrp) and still was unsure if I should go through with it, tamed it with an EK block and have 2x 240 rads and it's just barely taming the ryzen and vega just barely able to do 4K with high\ultra and occasional 2x AA.

56's should be good deal but the 64's ain't worth it at msrp for sure.

I do enjoy all the other things AMD have done, which is the reason why I didn't buy superior Nvidia hardware :p

Due to high priced Nvidia GPUs, it appears Gsync monitors will continue to stock-pile in stores and become obsolete over time. AMD, on the other hand, now has a way to move freesync monitors.

There's ~70% (assuming the same as the market share) of PC gamers who have an NVDIA card in their rig, so I imagine there's still potential for Gsync monitors.

I'm looking forward to a time when UHD TVs are shipping with FreeSync (or Variable Refresh Rate) that the two major console brands fully support. It would vastly enhance the console experience across the board. Even if games dipped below 60 it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Freesync 55"+ Tv's please!
Pretty sure the latest HDMI standard supports VRR which would mean... this is coming and hopefully sooner than later.Sick of the monitor rip off prices or old shitty tech. I'm not sacrificing 10bit for high refresh.

Due to high priced Nvidia GPUs, it appears Gsync monitors will continue to stock-pile in stores and become obsolete over time. AMD, on the other hand, now has a way to move freesync monitors.

I might be talking out my ass, but i think nvidia count send out firmware code to make their cards freesync...

Since they are over 3/4 of the market, i feel sorry for the freesync monitor producers making a product that only 10-25% of card holders can use.

I might be talking out my ass, but i think nvidia count send out firmware code to make their cards freesync...

Since they are over 3/4 of the market, i feel sorry for the freesync monitor producers making a product that only 10-25% of card holders can use.
The good thing is everyone can use it, just not everyone will benefit from freesync. Because they generally cost less, they should still be making a decent amount off them.

Adaptive Sync, sure, but I don't know why NVIDIA would adapt AMD's driver-specific Freesync code.

Wait what? Are you saying Nvidia is testing freesync or some shit? This is how rumors get started lol! I would fking love it if my 144hz freesync monitor worked with nvidia. I bet that will never happen though. Why spend money on gsync then?

Fuck that. Lol.

I already do the weekend thing as well!

Wait what? Are you saying Nvidia is testing freesync or some shit? This is how rumors get started lol! I would fking love it if my 144hz freesync monitor worked with nvidia. I bet that will never happen though. Why spend money on gsync then?

Well, if nothing else it would be a way for them, in the wake of Kyle's exposed GPP nonsense to claim "Hey, we aren't really trying to lock down the market! Honest! " by allowing a FreeSync/adaptive sync compatible setting to work on Nvidia cards. They could still claim that Gsync is better for whatever reasons they wish to make up (ie it requires special hardware on the monitor's side etc..), and also have the bonus of saying "Hey, we can even make the experience better on the other guys' monitor tech" given Nvidia offering higher performing 1080 Ti and Titan cards that at the moment AMD has no serious competitor against - all while looking like the "good guy" for embracing an open standard for once. I'm finding more and more reasons to dislike Nvidia's practices and it has become a long list; I wish they'd turn over a new leaf. Given they have good hardware, they don't need to push proprietary lockdown at every opportunity to sell it but yet that's just what they do - disgusting.

Regarding the consoles this is a nice feature - I wonder if many TVs will be FreeSync / VESA adaptive sync compatible in the future - it seems like a very inexpensive way to add a new feature that will make them better displays for consoles and PCs alike now. I am also curious if this will mean that FreeSync could come to The Playstation 4 / PS4 Pro - after all, don't they have a similar AMD powered CPU / GPU?

Freesync 55"+ Tv's please!

That is definitely coming. With AMD being in most consoles, and if it continues to be in most consoles going forward and there is no reason to think it shouldn't, TV makers will now have a reason to provide free sync. It may take a few years to roll out but trust me, with this move and the support already out there yeah, it's coming.

That is definitely coming. With AMD being in most consoles, and if it continues to be in most consoles going forward and there is no reason to think it shouldn't, TV makers will now have a reason to provide free sync. It may take a few years to roll out but trust me, with this move and the support already out there yeah, it's coming.
I hope!

I bought a 34 inch 3440x1440 LG which has free sync. I use a NVidia 1080 video card. Of course there is no free sync with the card, BUT, when I turn free sync on in the LG it does increase the refresh rate to 75Hz from 60. The LG is rated for this.

Back