AMD FirePro Professional Graphics Outperform Competition By 100%

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today introduced the newest generation of professional graphics cards -- AMD FirePro™ V5900 and AMD FirePro™ V7900 -- more than doubling performance of competitive offerings in key professional market applications1. Created for the design, engineering, financial, and medical fields, the new graphics cards offer AMD PowerTune and GeometryBoost technologies in addition to industry-recognized AMD Eyefinity multi-display support to enhance workflow and application performance.

does it ?
I can't say our 70 applications use it, we have one that doesnt work well on amd, the rest works.
we have apps that use opencl, but both vendors are supported.
We use both AMD and Nvidia. AMD is getting much prefeered due to its superiour speed at a cheaper price without issues.

I love that the "1" from an unseen footnote made it into the headline. :p

From my experience, AMD performs just as well or better than Nvidia in the applications that I use, and at a much cheaper price. In the professional graphics market, absolute top performance has never been king unless you're doing scene rendering for large scale animation. Instead, price/performance matters even more. AMD's kinda had this market in the bag for a while now, from my perspective. No surprises here.

Dear AMD...we know you want a bigger piece of the professional market (thus far greatly dominated by NVIDIA), but you don't have to lie to get there :)

http://hothardware.com/printarticle.aspx?articleid=1683

The new models over previous Cypress based ones do well, but they don't even pass their last ones by doubling their scores, much less doing that to Quadros.
Where previous FirePro cards did well, the new ones improve a bit. Where Quadro dominates the new FirePros still get the back seat by a long shot.

The FirePros advantage is really not performance. Just the fact that they support more than two monitors.

Back