AMD Finally announces the B550

1_rick

Supreme [H]ardness
In an aside at the end of an article talking about AMD releasing a couple of quad-core Ryzen 3 parts on Zen 2, there is this:

"One of the often talked topics, since January, is when AMD is going to launch its more mid-range B550 motherboards for the Ryzen 3000 processors. Today AMD is announcing that B550 is coming on June 16th this year, with all the main motherboard manufacturers coming out with a variety of models, up to 60 for launch. AMD is also confirming that B550 will offer PCIe 4.0 connectivity. More details to come at a later date. "

That's the whole thing. No links, unfortunately.

Eh, here's the link on AMD's website: https://www.amd.com/en/press-releas...amd-ryzen-desktop-processor-family-unleashing

The new B550 chipset for socket AM4 is the latest addition to the AMD 500 Series chipset family with support for the industry-leading AMD Ryzen 3000 Series desktop processors. The upcoming B550 motherboards are the only mainstream modern chipset with compatibility for PCIe® 4.0, unlocking twice the bandwidth of B450 motherboards for high-speed, high-power performance in gaming and multitasking.

AMD B550 motherboards are expected to be available beginning June 16, 2020 from ODM partners including ASRock, ASUS, Biostar, Colorful, GIGABYTE, and MSI at leading retailers and etailers.

Yes but, I have boards that work great already. :) That said, for those who want them now and are upgrading, this could be a really good thing.

They really take forever to do a top to bottom release on current silicon that was out for almost 10 months.

Yeah I literally just upgraded my system. No point now. They can keep it.

And that is still like two months away heh.

Well I got a feeling these motherboards will sell like hotcakes IF they price is low and they have PCI-E 4.0 support. I guess we shall see what happens in June.

Well I got a feeling these motherboards will sell like hotcakes IF they price is low and they have PCI-E 4.0 support. I guess we shall see what happens in June.

Why? You think everyone is going to go through the hassle of upgrading their mobo just for pcie 4.0 support? I sure wont be.

There still really isn’t anything out there that uses PCIe 4 that offers a tangible improvement on the consumer side. Maybe their GPU’s will change all that but at this stage it’s not really a factor.

PCIe 4.0 is an important consideration for people like me who keep their mobo and cpu for 5+ years. My days of upgrading for 3% performance increases are long gone.
but pcie 5.0 is already comming out soon i heard

I think it's for the B550 launch, it's just PCIE 4.0 for the M2 and PCIE 3.0 for everything else?

PCIe 4 came out in June 2017, but not in hardware until June 2019. PCIe 5 was just finalized last November, so I wouldn't expect any hardware to be available with until Late 2021 early 2022.

cool by then it will be 5+ years

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I think it's for the B550 launch, it's just PCIE 4.0 for the M2 and PCIE 3.0 for everything else?
It just says PCIe 4. To me that means everything. But I'd imagine we'll know soon.

That wouldnt make any sense. It would be PCIE 4.0 for everything....

I've been expecting PCie 4 on the GPU lanes and the m.2 directly attached to the chip, but for everthing coming from the southbridge , I expect PCIe 3.0.

That would make it a lot lower power than the native PCIe 4.0 southbridge of x570, while being faster than the native PCIe 2.0 lanes from the b450.

I've been expecting PCie 4 on the GPU lanes and the m.2 directly attached to the chip, but for everthing coming from the southbridge , I expect PCIe 3.0.

That would make it a lot lower power than the native PCIe 4.0 southbridge of x570, while being faster than the native PCIe 2.0 lanes from the b450.

IIRC the B550 is made by Asmedia, not AMD, and it's probably made differently. Again IIRC, the X570 is actually the IO die from a Ryzen 3000 with some functionality fused off (or the other way 'round). So I guess it's possible the new chipset could support PCIe 4 but still use lower power?

I feel like they were done for a while now, but they wanted to wait for b450 ect to clear out first. No reason to flood the channels with product nobody will buy because there is something cheaper that just lacks pcie4.0

thats my be too. it will be the same chip as the b450, but they will allow 4.0 for the nvme and gpu. this was a thing on early b450 bios with 3000 series cpus.

I feel like they were done for a while now, but they wanted to wait for b450 ect to clear out first. No reason to flood the channels with product nobody will buy because there is something cheaper that just lacks pcie4.0

I suspect the issue was getting PCI-e 4.0 lanes reliable on a cheap motherboard while still keeping the price down. One of the big reasons for the higher prices on a lot of the x570 boards was the fact that PCI-e 4 required higher quality PCBs and in many cases extra layers. It's possible that with x570 boards being guinea pigs they were able to figure out a cheaper way of putting PCI-e onto boards and until that was done B550 was dead in the water since it was little different from B450.

Back