AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution

crazycrave

[H]ard|Gawd
Take this as reseach for someone wondering if there computer could run the game as what FSR is really made for IMO ..

It's my x470 with 3700x and RX 5700 as I decided that no HD pack , 1080p Med with FSR in Ultra Quality with SAM on and FPS is displayed in top left .

thecold

Gawd
What so many I believe that are firmly in team green seem to say is that "it's not as good as DLSS". I think most on team red or team neutral are willing to admit this. However with how good it is comparatively, and
how easily it seems to be implemented by Devs that want to invest the time, it's completely worth it.

PS... before the fanbois rail me, look at the card I'm running in my sig.

I personally don't use dlss or fsr if I can avoid it. Will I in the future, probably. The games that need it the most, is those games that nvidia doesn't even need dlss to destroy amd cards.

killroy67

[H]ard|Gawd
Take this as reseach for someone wondering if there computer could run the game as what FSR is really made for IMO ..

It's my x470 with 3700x and RX 5700 as I decided that no HD pack , 1080p Med with FSR in Ultra Quality with SAM on and FPS is displayed in top left .

I just started playing this game at max setting and the HD pack, it's some of the best graphics I have seen in a PC game. I don't need FSR really, the game runs so well Im getting a average of 80-100fps.

zandor

2[H]4U
I personally don't use dlss or fsr if I can avoid it. Will I in the future, probably. The games that need it the most, is those games that nvidia doesn't even need dlss to destroy amd cards.
You mean raytracing stuff? That'll change. NV jumped first on raytracing and got a bit ahead. It won't last. It never does. AMD will catch up. I do think NV and AMD are onto something with DLSS and FSR though, and I hope they'll turn into a standard API feature going forward. In other words the way I want it to work is a game can just turn scaling on in DX or Vulcan or whatever and it just works. The vid card driver can take care of how it works if it provides an implementation, otherwise you get something like AMD FSR. In other words a game just turns on scaling, and if you have a recent NV card you get DLSS, if you don't you get FSR, and if AMD or NV come up with something better in the future you get that.

TrunksZero

n00b
Games and game engines had already started to implement there own upscaler's. And if you look at EPIC's Temporal Super Resolution... they are hot on the heals on nVidia without using an AI. The only step missing is some one trying to do it driver side... AMD could do that tomorrow, but I gotta imagine they haven't yet as in it current state it would mess with UI elements and that really might not look so hot for some games.

XoR_

[H]ard|Gawd
Another comparison and another example that FSR does absolutely nothing to reconstruct native resolution Click!

cybereality

[H]F Junkie
Check these shots I made. You can add FSR to almost any Windows game on Linux. And the results are decent.

https://twitter.com/cybereality/status/1450561479816753157

Cyberpunk 2077 loses a little picture quality, but 30% performance boost, and still looks good in motion.

Doom Eternal has almost no picture quality loss. I had to check the settings multiple times, but it was working and looked the same.

crazycrave

[H]ard|Gawd
Another comparison and another example that FSR does absolutely nothing to reconstruct native resolution Click!
I would agree that on a RTX 3080 as tested but I guess a Radeon card and driver can not run DLSS 2.0 to find out if the game engine is bias to Nvidia to even have DLSS 2.0 in the game kind of answers who payed the most ..like Fry Cry 6 is all for AMD ..

cybereality

[H]F Junkie
You can also run FSR on just about any GPU. AMD or Nvidia, on a GTX 970. It even works on Intel integrated GPU.

XoR_

[H]ard|Gawd
it never claimed to ;)
Yes, except they kinda did before they released it
FidelityFX-Super-Resolution.jpg

Four smaller consecutive frames => one bigger frame
FSR doesn't work like that at all. FSR takes single image as input and upscales and AMD do not advertise it like they did back when it was "in development".

My guess is that they had something better planned but realized their plan was too ambitious and they would not be able to make it both fast and universal so they made it fast and universal by using something simpler and apparently it works...

What's also interesting about Deathloop is that there are subtle differences in the implementation of NVIDIA's Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS), NVIDIA's Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing (DLAA), and AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR), which we are keen to find out more about.
"subtle difference" my ass

If AMD actually made it use temporal data it could be an actually good upscaling solution that could rival DLSS even without using any AI stuff.

chameleoneel

Supreme [H]ardness
What's also interesting about Deathloop is that there are subtle differences in the implementation of NVIDIA's Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS), NVIDIA's Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing (DLAA), and AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR), which we are keen to find out more about.

"subtle difference" my ass

If AMD actually made it use temporal data it could be an actually good upscaling solution that could rival DLSS even without using any AI stuff.
At the least, Deathloop's FSR doesn't appear to include its own sharpening pass. And similarly, the sharpening in its DLSS also seems relatively relaxed, compared to other games. This aligns with Nvidia's recent tools updates for developers, literally giving them a sharpening slider.

chameleoneel

Supreme [H]ardness
Yes, except they kinda did before they released it
View attachment 405598
Four smaller consecutive frames => one bigger frame
FSR doesn't work like that at all. FSR takes single image as input and upscales and AMD do not advertise it like they did back when it was "in development".

My guess is that they had something better planned but realized their plan was too ambitious and they would not be able to make it both fast and universal so they made it fast and universal by using something simpler and apparently it works...
Well I would say this single slide is ambiguous, at best. However, I don't pretend to have a catalogue of all the ways FSR was marketed, throughout time. So let me redo my post and say
it never claimed to ;)
AMD didn't claim reconstruction, AA, or even a temporal element, around release time.

cybereality

[H]F Junkie
It is good though. I'm getting great results in many games, even with 3rd party tools, it works fine.