AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) Launched with Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.6.1

cageymaru

Fully [H]
AMD has released Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.6.1 which includes AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) support for select titles. In addition to the new feature set, AMD has announced the movement of certain graphics products to a legacy model. These legacy products which include certain APU's, R9 Fury series, and certain mobile graphics will not receive future driver support and their final driver is Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.5.2.

The graphics driver release adds support for AMD Radeon™ RX 6800M Graphics and Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance™.

It fixes issues such as:
  • Radeon FreeSync™ may intermittently become locked while on desktop after performing task switching between extended and primary displays upon closing a game, causing poor performance or stuttering.
  • Anno 1800™ may crash upon launching this game when running DirectX®12.
  • AMD cleanup utility may clean up chipset/RAID installer related folders/registries from the system.
  • Some Radeon Graphics products may experience lower than expected performance in Destiny 2™ when compared to previous Radeon Software versions.
  • Upon joining the AMD User Experience Program, the AMD User Experience Program Master service may have higher than expected CPU utilization.
  • Enabling Ray Tracing while running Ring of Elysium™ on DirectX®12 may cause this game to crash.

Known issues include:

Resident Evil Village™ may experience an intermittent application hang or TDR on AMD Radeon VII graphics products in the first mission of the game.
Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
Connecting two displays with large differences in resolution/refresh rates may cause flickering on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
An Oculus service error may be received on Radeon RX 5000 & 6000 series graphics products which prevents the Oculus Link setup software from running.
Radeon performance metrics and logging features may intermittently report extremely high and incorrect memory clock values.
If Ryzen Master is not detected in Adrenalin software after installation, a system restart may be required.
If Blue or Black screen is observed in mobile systems, temporarily disable Enhanced sign-in
A driver mismatch error may appear when two versions of Radeon software (Windows Store & AMD Support versions) are installed on your system. As a temporary workaround, launch the Windows Store version of Radeon software.
AMD is investigating an issue that may cause a small impact to battery life on AMD Ryzen 5000 notebooks.
A Blue or Black screen may be observed after updating to the latest Radeon Software. A workaround is to disable core isolation.
AMD is investigating a D3 error code that may be seen in some motherboard after updating to the latest Radeon Software.
Lower than expected performance may be observed on select AMD Athlon™ mobile systems.
Intermittent grey frame corruption might be observed when streaming with HEVC on certain configurations via an Internet connection. A workaround is to use the AVC encoding setting instead.

Does FSR work already or do we need to wait for game patches?

Still need a few days to build my new AMD rig, but I'm downloading the drivers on my laptop just to see if it works.

Going to be really interesting to see how it works on 10xx series (when it gets there). If they get this working on Nvidia hardware that N has decided to not support it would be quite the FU to N's business model. But I'm just saying that because I have a 1080ti that I can't replace until the mining crash... :) :ROFLMAO:

Yea gonna give it a go on the HTPC with the RX580 first. I hope Nvidia gives some support for Pascal owners too since RTX gpu's are scarce still and many are forced to stick it out with older gpus.

You people that this is actually going to be some game changer for 10xx cards? It hasn't even been proven tech and you guys lapping it up already. I am not going to be so naive and wait for actual reviews for it.

You people that this is actually going to be some game changer for 10xx cards? It hasn't even been proven tech and you guys lapping it up already. I am not going to be so naive and wait for actual reviews for it.
I don't think anyone in this thread is "lapping it up," but it does have one indisputable advantage for people running Pascal cards: it's better than anything NVIDIA offers them.

I don't think anyone in this thread is "lapping it up," but it does have one indisputable advantage for people running Pascal cards: it's better than anything NVIDIA offers them.
Maybe not in this thread but they are in the other. It hasn't been proven as a any kind of advantaged yet. From what I seen it hurts image quality and performance improvements have not been tested yet.

Maybe not in this thread but they are in the other. It hasn't been proven as a any kind of advantaged yet. From what I seen it hurts image quality and performance improvements have not been tested yet.

Of course it hurts image quality, even DLSS does (minus few rare instances it manages to look better than native). The question is that is the performance gain enough to trade for little image quality loss? In case of DLSS 2.0 the answer is resounding YES. You get much smaller loss in image quality than just dropping the resolution down, enough to make things like Raytracing viable while still having almost native resolution looking fidelity.
If AMD's implementation comes even close then that is a win. Probably unlikely but it remains to be seen.

Of course it hurts image quality, even DLSS does (minus few rare instances it manages to look better than native). The question is that is the performance gain enough to trade for little image quality loss? In case of DLSS 2.0 the answer is resounding YES. You get much smaller loss in image quality than just dropping the resolution down, enough to make things like Raytracing viable while still having almost native resolution looking fidelity.
If AMD's implementation comes even close then that is a win. Probably unlikely but it remains to be seen.
From what I seen so far it is not worth it no matter the performance increase. I can't see the difference personally with DLSS on most the titles I tried. Granted I don't have first hand experience with AMD's FSR but from what I seen which is not much doesn't look too good. People shouldn't get their hopes up thinking it will double their FPS on 10xx cards or some shit. I predict single digit performance increase.

Seems you are acting like this is costing money and you will only spend it after reviews tell you to or not. This is new tech and we are obviously excited for it, take it or leave it.

From what I seen so far it is not worth it no matter the performance increase. I can't see the difference personally with DLSS on most the titles I tried. Granted I don't have first hand experience with AMD's FSR but from what I seen which is not much doesn't look too good. People shouldn't get their hopes up thinking it will double their FPS on 10xx cards or some shit. I predict single digit performance increase.

So far the results seem to be good for 4k (Ultra Quality and Quality modes only) and 1440p (Ultra quality only). For 1080p, don't bother unless you absolutely have to. I think this is a good start.

Well, I have an AMD RX5700, Vega 64 and Vega 56 so, I will be able to do my own testing when the games I play support it. The fact is, AMD is coming up with a new tech on their end, a direct competitor which also supports Nvidia hardware and we have a lot to look forward to.

Seems you are acting like this is costing money and you will only spend it after reviews tell you to or not. This is new tech and we are obviously excited for it, take it or leave it.
I have no pony in the race since I have a 3080. It just irrational for people think this some miracle for 10xx cards. AMD's GPU division doesn't have the best track record.

That video was surprising, in a good way. Can't imagine the situation being much better, outside of larger day 1 game support.

I did have the video at 4K but I'm only on a 1440p monitor so even the balanced mode looked good to me. Performance was worst, but I still think a good tool if you have a slower GPU or want to crank features like ray tracing.

Honestly a good show for AMD.

I don't see how any improvement at all could be a bad thing, or even just having the option to use it.

I have no pony in the race since I have a 3080. It just irrational for people think this some miracle for 10xx cards. AMD's GPU division doesn't have the best track record.

Then, if you have no pony, there really is no need to have the point of view you are having, just simply allow others to look forward to this tech. After all, it either will work or it will not, we have no idea until the users are able to test it but, I sure hope they can use it, because Nvidia is not going to give them a cookie, and it is not like upgrading is possible, at this time.

Reactions: kac77
like this
The interpretation of the launch day performance and quality of FSR makes it really easy to pick out the people who were never going to give it a chance in the first place.

My thoughts:
* It looks better than I thought it would at Ultra Quality and Quality modes and appears to be a fine competitor to DLSS (with the caveat that there are no direct comparisons available)
* Game support sucks but should get better more quickly than it did with DLSS
* AMD shot themselves in the foot from a marketing perspective with the blurry (ostensibly "Performance" mode) 1060 video at launch because every fanboy who wants to dismiss it out of hand is still saying it just makes everything blurry without actually looking at any of the reviews.
* They again shot themselves in the foot with the naming of the different modes. The should have swapped the modifiers around such that "Ultra Quality" was "Quality" and "Performance" was "Ultra Performance." The current naming invites comparisons to the DLSS quality levels of the same name, and that will be a poor comparison for FSR.

The only game I have so far supported is Anno. But you know my wife plays it on her machine with a RX570 in it. I'm going to have to go in there for her later turn up some eye candy she has turned off and flip this on.

Can't wait for it to hit more games that I actually play. I mean for the most part I set my 5700 to 75FPS with Chill anyway and very few games really dip anyway. Still a few games it might be nice to hit that ultra quality setting and see a 30-40% bump. To my eyes from the reviews I have seen Ultra Quality setting is damn near unchanged. And as a few reviews have said a couple games actually look better in UQ.

I expect by the fall we'll see this enabled in a huge chunk of games. Games like Cyberpunk that already have Fidelity stuff integrated will likely patch this in, in the next few weeks.

Then why sit here and argue. Is it because the people that didn't spend the money you did might actually have an upgrade path for free? If you have buyers remorse just start a thread of your own instead of whining here.

Then why sit here and argue. Is it because the people that didn't spend the money you did might actually have an upgrade path for free? If you have buyers remorse just start a thread of your own instead of whining here.
Oh yes it the buyers remorse.

While we can't predict adoption rates for FXSR we do already know for a fact that 10xx cards are out for any of the new Nvidia technologies.

So the point is - if a game supports FXSR* and 10xx cards get even a small boost - that is free performance. As a person running both a 3090 and a 6900xt (among a bunch of other cards), I don't care one way or the other, but the economics will definitely help AMD in that regard.

*Personally, I think adoption will be widespread since videos have already come out stating that implementation is easy to do and some have said retrofitting it took only a few days

I don't know from what I have seen so far it looks like this might is probably going to work out for a lot of people with 1000 NV cards... or RX 570/80/90 Vega grade hardware. Which due to the current GPU market clusterfuck is a pretty sizable chunk of gamers.

If you have the bad luck of having something happen like say your 1440 or even 1080p monitor die right now. I think this could really save your ass if you decide to go buy a decent 4k monitor but are still unable or unwilling to pay through the nose for a current gen card.

I know its hard as a Nvidia booster to admit. But this is pretty much exactly what Nvidia should have been doing this entire time. Nvidia should have not tied DLSS to their tensor cores... and you know they should have also opened the tech up. DLSS should have been multiple methods. (a non temporal method for older cards... and their cool AI powered version for new cards) Nvidia could have been the company creating the standard on this. Instead if I had to guess I would assume DLSS is probably going to end up replaced. And know I'm not arguing AMDs solution is the superior quality or even performance solution... its simply going to be 1000% easier to implement and provide a boost for the people actually looking for it. This is going to be come the standard... and DLSS will just continue being what it is I guess... a standard no studio really touches until Nvidia comes knocking with a bag of cash. With AMD making this open source, it being super easy to implement... and not require constant tweaks when developers do expansions ect... and on top of that they can implement it in console versions of their games. Ya DLSS is dead. Nvidia will prop it up for a few years dropping cash on AAA developers to implement it... but in that time basically every game out there is going to include AMDs tech.

I don't know from what I have seen so far it looks like this might is probably going to work out for a lot of people with 1000 NV cards... or RX 570/80/90 Vega grade hardware. Which due to the current GPU market clusterfuck is a pretty sizable chunk of gamers.

If you have the bad luck of having something happen like say your 1440 or even 1080p monitor die right now. I think this could really save your ass if you decide to go buy a decent 4k monitor but are still unable or unwilling to pay through the nose for a current gen card.

I know its hard as a Nvidia booster to admit. But this is pretty much exactly what Nvidia should have been doing this entire time. Nvidia should have not tied DLSS to their tensor cores... and you know they should have also opened the tech up. DLSS should have been multiple methods. (a non temporal method for older cards... and their cool AI powered version for new cards) Nvidia could have been the company creating the standard on this. Instead if I had to guess I would assume DLSS is probably going to end up replaced. And know I'm not arguing AMDs solution is the superior quality or even performance solution... its simply going to be 1000% easier to implement and provide a boost for the people actually looking for it. This is going to be come the standard... and DLSS will just continue being what it is I guess... a standard no studio really touches until Nvidia comes knocking with a bag of cash. With AMD making this open source, it being super easy to implement... and not require constant tweaks when developers do expansions ect... and on top of that they can implement it in console versions of their games. Ya DLSS is dead. Nvidia will prop it up for a few years dropping cash on AAA developers to implement it... but in that time basically every game out there is going to include AMDs tech.
Well, the NV cards going back to the 1000 series already have the two upscaling methods they are using baked in, from what I can tell based on the papers AMD and Microsoft have made available this is using a combination of Nearest-Neighbor upscaling and Edge-directed interpolation then runs that image through an optimized anti-aliasing filter. Nvidia and AMD cards have had those forms of upscaling going on for a while to deal with HD video playback. It will be interesting to see how to looks when done for sure, DLSS 2.2 is a cooler technology that I think is the "better" technology for sure but it is cumbersome and specialized, overall I am thinking the FSR solution is going to be the more adopted method as it will give results that are good enough at higher FPS. Really the blur you are going to see won't be noticeable when moving unless you have a super decerning set of eyes, and should just lead to better gameplay for the majority of people.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
RE: adoption - The fact that Microsoft via the Gamepass is pushing gaming on Windows as well as their own dedicated XBOX console - which coincidentally runs AMD hardware - putting FSR into games for the XBOX version is a no-brainer and that means PC ports will benefit as well.

The two pronged console / windows gaming will be something AMD will benefit from, especially considering that Nvidia hardware is only in the Nintendo Switch and their (Nintendo) IPs are super locked to their hardware with no cross platform now or in the near future to the PC.

The results in the hardware unboxed video were decent. Key is not being easy to tell the difference. If this works out I am probably going to be able to manage 4k much more easily in the future. My next upgrades will be for 4k gaming

Well, the NV cards going back to the 1000 series already have the two upscaling methods they are using baked in, from what I can tell based on the papers AMD and Microsoft have made available this is using a combination of Nearest-Neighbor upscaling and Edge-directed interpolation then runs that image through an optimized anti-aliasing filter. Nvidia and AMD cards have had those forms of upscaling going on for a while to deal with HD video playback. It will be interesting to see how to looks when done for sure, DLSS 2.2 is a cooler technology that I think is the "better" technology for sure but it is cumbersome and specialized, overall I am thinking the FSR solution is going to be the more adopted method as it will give results that are good enough at higher FPS. Really the blur you are going to see won't be noticeable when moving unless you have a super decerning set of eyes, and should just lead to better gameplay for the majority of people.
IMO the people that in general would care about the minor differences in blur and slight loss of sharpness in zoomed screen shots. Are not the type of people using DLSS anyway. If you are buying a $1000+ card... I somehow doubt you where every all that jazzed about the idea of upscaling AI or not. Of course it makes RT stuff a bit more playable... still the market for DLSS was always the 2060/3060 range. I am sure most people spending more then that on a GPU want to play at native.

For people that have been stretching out 1080, or 1070 RX580s ect because they can't get a new card without selling a kidney. I have to believe they will more then happy with FSR Ultra Quality and Quality settings making basically every game being sold today more then playable at 1440. Or even 4k.

Reactions: kac77
like this
IMO the people that in general would care about the minor differences in blur and slight loss of sharpness in zoomed screen shots. Are not the type of people using DLSS anyway. If you are buying a $1000+ card... I somehow doubt you where every all that jazzed about the idea of upscaling AI or not. Of course it makes RT stuff a bit more playable... still the market for DLSS was always the 2060/3060 range.
Eh not exactly. Initially, a 2080ti could barely manage 60fps at 1080p in Control, with all the ray tracing turned on ;)

I think RT performance in that game has been improved a little bit, since then. But not a ton.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
How is this going to work with Nvidia cards too? Is Nvidia going to bake it into their drivers as well or is it only enabled through supported games?

RE: adoption - The fact that Microsoft via the Gamepass is pushing gaming on Windows as well as their own dedicated XBOX console - which coincidentally runs AMD hardware - putting FSR into games for the XBOX version is a no-brainer and that means PC ports will benefit as well.

The two pronged console / windows gaming will be something AMD will benefit from, especially considering that Nvidia hardware is only in the Nintendo Switch and their (Nintendo) IPs are super locked to their hardware with no cross platform now or in the near future to the PC.
There is no plans to bring FSR to consoles at this time. They already have their own downscaling and reconstruction techniques in wide use.

How is this going to work with Nvidia cards too? Is Nvidia going to bake it into their drivers as well or is it only enabled through supported games?
From the reviews I have seen, its not driver based at all. Its built into the game. Hence why Nvidia cards can use it on release day.

GN Steve said AMD could drop support for it tomorrow, but if game developers keep using it, FSR should keep working.

There is no plans to bring FSR to consoles at this time. They already have their own downscaling and reconstruction techniques in wide use.
"At Xbox, we’re excited by the potential of AMD’s FidelityFX Super Resolution technology as another great method for developers to increase framerates and resolution. We will have more to share on this soon".

Currently, checkerboard rendering from Sony's base toolset is known for artifacts. While it does a pretty solid job overall---FSR seems better, based on what I have seen and read today, in reviews.

There are a couple of custom solutions done by individual devs for specific games, which have had excellent results. Such as the temporal solution used in the new Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart.

However, a good point of FSR is that its relatively easy to implement and shouldn't require much tweaking for performance. So, a dev team shouldn't need much time spent on getting it working optimally or even need to have a lot of experience with developing upscalers. FSR ultra quality is basically a shoe-in solution.

FSR is a shader. As long as the shader follows the rules of graphics APIs such as Direct X, Vulkan, etc., it will run on an Nvidia card.

That said, Nvidia can absolutely tweak their drivers to perform better while running the shader. Which is what AMD did yesterday (released an optimized driver. And indeed, FSR currently performs better on AMD.)

Back