AMD Fan Finally Going To Go With Q6600. Some Questions Though.

zawada101

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, i havent really been keeping up with any computer news as of late. But i decided it might be time to upgrade from my current computer to a brand new one.

Here is my current Setup.

PSU: Enermax EG465P-VE 460W
Mobo: Asus A7N8X-DLX
CPU: AMD 2500+ Barton
Memory: 2x512 OCZ PC2700
VideoCard: ATI 9800Pro AIW

I am thinking about upgrading to this.

Mobo: Abit IP35 Pro
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Memory: Patriot Extreme Performance 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12
VideoCard: ASUS Radeon X1950 Pro
Case: Antec P182

I was wondering if i could use the same powersupply to power this whole system? It will also include 4 internal harddrives (2 IDE, and 2 SATA), 1 dvd writer, and 1 external drive. Does anyone have any recommendations with the new rig?

I would buy a new power supply. That power supply is pretty old and the older ones have lots of amps on the 3.3v and 5v rails, while little on the 12v rail which should be the highest rail in modern pc's.

You would probably be fine with your current PSU if you don't plan to overclock.
I'm not sure how important the 8-pin power plug is for quad-cpu's but a core 2 duo runs just fine with a 4-pin plug even with heavy overclocking.

Would recommend you get a better PSU though and as said the Corsair ones are very good.

You also say you plan to run 2 IDE harddrives and one DVD writer, if the DVD is IDE you won't have enough IDE ports on that motherboard, the motherboard supports only two IDE devices.

I second the corsair. You dont want to risk all this new hardware with an older power supply.

Welcome to the dark side. You are about to witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battlestation.

4x1gb Crucial Ballistix pc2-8000 runs great on my P5K Premium, can do 1000mhz 4-4-4-12 @ stock volts, running 567 5-5-5-15 right now (I can push it more but it's not worth it).

I have that psu, it was fine for my Q6600, IP35 and 8800GTS at stock speeds. I upgraded to a 600W Zalman before I overclocked.

It will probably be able to power the whole thing. BUT how efficiently, in regards to stability of the overall system is a concern. I would definitely upgrade the PSU considering it's the most overlooked part of the system yet it has great impacts.

if your old PS is decent, it should hold well. I had 7-year old Antec 350w and I used for a year with my E6300 pc without any problem. I even overclock E6300 to 3.150GHz.

Alright. Thanks for all the responses, i guess i will have to upgrade my psu.
Are there any more comments on the setup?

Why the X1950 Pro? Budget issues, or waiting for something bigger and better? Looks a little out of place in that build.

Anything other than a 8800GTS 640MB or 8800GTX/Ultra looks out of place IMO.

That's the exact same mobo, cpu, and memory that showed up on my doorstep this afternoon. :)

I'd have to grab some coffee and check out that newer review. :)

Well deserved review. I have 2 and they run flawlessly in both my systems. Add a little optional bling to them for my windowed case and they'll be 5.1 out of 5!

"While all of the older versions of the HX620 have a pair of 6-pin PCI-E connectors, within the last few months all of the recent shipments to retailers have included a pair of 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors which will be used more and more on upcoming graphics cards. In this case, Corsair has seen fit to use a break-off connector so these connectors can also be used as standard PCI-E connectors as well. As we have stated before; it is recommended that you look for power supplies carrying these 8-pin PCI-E connectors if you want your new purchase to be somewhat future-proofed. It is believed that both Nvidia’s and ATI’s upcoming high-end graphics cards will exclusively use 8-pin PCI-E connectors and thus it is hard to recommend a 600W or higher power supply which does not include at least one of these connectors. In addition, if you have a HX620 and do not have this cable, you can contact Corsair to send you one for a nominal charge."

Going to have to contact Corsair to get one or two 8-pin cables.

Why the X1950 Pro? Budget issues, or waiting for something bigger and better? Looks a little out of place in that build.

Yeah it is mostly a budget issue right now. I want to get a good rig right now, and it seems like after reading all of the reviews of the x1950 that it is a pretty good card for the money.
But, do you think i would need to upgrade to a 8800GTS? I am looking forward to playing TF2, crysis, and a couple newer games.

Crysis is looking like GTX/Ultra territory if you're running 1650x1080 with any AA. Below that a GTS will be enough. Anything less and you're going to be dropping settings considerably. Crytek has a nasty tendency to assume everyone's hardware is super-high-end... look at the performance people saw in Far Cry for a long time, there...

Well, i think i am going to upgrade from the x1950 to the
EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS 500MHZ 320MB

Final Rig:
Motherboard: Abit IP35 Pro
CPU: Intel Q6600
Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
RAM: Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12
PSU: Corsair 620HX 620W
Video Card: EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS 500MHZ 320MB

Hopefully i will be buying this later on today. Does anyone know for sure if the arctic cooler 7 fits on the abit ip35?
Should i just drop the extra $90 to upgrade from the 320MB to the 640MB?

Also, what is the cheapest place online to buy that ships to canada?

ncix is usually good for Canadians, and I think there's some place like CanadaComputers or something? If you're going with a quad I'd also recommend you get a HSF more capable than the freezer 7 pro. A Scythe Ninja at bare minimum, more ideally a Sunbeam Tuniq Tower or Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with an S-Flex fan. Quads produce a whole lot more heat than the duals.

As for the GTS, what res are you running? Below 1680x1050 (smaller than a 22" widescreen LCD) the 320MB is fine. 1650x1080 or higher, the extra cash for the 640MB is likely worthwhile. 1920x1080 or higher you really want a GTX or Ultra, and GTXs or Ultras in SLI would be ideal.

Well, i think i am going to upgrade from the x1950 to the
EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS 500MHZ 320MB

Final Rig:
Motherboard: Abit IP35 Pro
CPU: Intel Q6600
Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
RAM: Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12
PSU: Corsair 620HX 620W
Video Card: EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS 500MHZ 320MB

Hopefully i will be buying this later on today. Does anyone know for sure if the arctic cooler 7 fits on the abit ip35?
Should i just drop the extra $90 to upgrade from the 320MB to the 640MB?

Also, what is the cheapest place online to buy that ships to canada?

NCIX hands down

They will price match and are great with customer service and rma's.

I would grab the 640Mb model.

But as above it does depend on the res you will run at.Below 16x10 go 320Mb,above that or if you plan on using heavy AA get the 640Mb.

BTW are you sure your Mobo will have 2 IDE ports?
AFAIK most new mobos only have one, so I would make sure if you want to keep the IDE HD's.

IP35 Pro has only one IDE channel, supporting 2 devices on a single ribbon cable. I'm fairly sure the OP is aware of this.

IDE is a waste of space on the mobo... just as a parallel port is a waste of space on my backplate... they're both useless.... I use a USB caddie for legacy operations anyways... I ain't rebooting my machine to hook up a HDD temporarily... ugh :eek:

I'd say so is a FDD but.... i ain't ready to go Vista yet and I'd have to abandon RAID... not likely... ;p

ncix is usually good for Canadians, and I think there's some place like CanadaComputers or something? If you're going with a quad I'd also recommend you get a HSF more capable than the freezer 7 pro. A Scythe Ninja at bare minimum, more ideally a Sunbeam Tuniq Tower or Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme with an S-Flex fan. Quads produce a whole lot more heat than the duals.

As for the GTS, what res are you running? Below 1680x1050 (smaller than a 22" widescreen LCD) the 320MB is fine. 1650x1080 or higher, the extra cash for the 640MB is likely worthwhile. 1920x1080 or higher you really want a GTX or Ultra, and GTXs or Ultras in SLI would be ideal.

www.pccanada.com

and i think they delivery

www.pcvillagecanada.com

Well i ended up purchasing the computer last night. I decided to just spend the extra cash and go with the 640MB version of the 8800GTS. I also just decided to stay with the arctic freezer, if it doesnt cool it down enough i guess i will just go grab a new cooler.

And yeah, i know that most newer boards only have 1 IDE port. Kind of sucks, but i guess i will have to just go with a dvd burner, and my 160GB HDD.

Thanks for all the responses!

your quad is going to fry with that ac. Unless you live in norway or something i guess. When I had that cooler i would idle at around 52ish or so.

I actually live in edmonton, alberta, canada.
Should i really have gotten a new cooler? Im starting to worry now...

your quad is going to fry with that ac. Unless you live in norway or something i guess. When I had that cooler i would idle at around 52ish or so.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. The AC F7Pro isn't good enough for OC'ing a quadcore kentsfield, imo. A Tuniq Tower, Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme + S-Flex fan, or the Noctua suggested earlier would have been better choices.

You can pickup a PCI IDE Controller card for your IDE devices:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=11661&vpn=ROCKET100&manufacture=Highpoint Technologies

Back