AMD Eyefinity Challenge with HardOCP in Dallas TX

Hey Kyle, can we ask for slot in certain time? I live in South Houston, but I have a friend in Dallas that I can crash at. I'll sign up if I can have a slot in the afternoon (and preferably my friend too, he signed up already).

Funny Im from Ohio in Sugarland for OJT this weekend and from here its at least 5 hours one way, might as well be in another state.

Hey will this be a morning, noon, afternoon or evening event? I've got some other things going on that day as well.

If it's in the morning I need to plan my Friday night around that.

Ron, just dont drink.

I hope this event will be held during the afternoon. I have a birthday party to go to around 7pm.

QuakeCon.org

This would've been a cool event to have been held during QuakeCon. Too bad ATI/AMD didn't have this ready then.

I'd love to come see the Eyefinity Challenge, but I'll have to pass this time. (22hr round trip from Niceville, FL and gas prices are creeping back up.)

See ya next year!

Bugs

This is a long shot but, does anyone ride a motorcycle?

The International Motorcycle Show is this weekend in Dallas. It is right down the street from where this event is being held. Anyone wanna go? I plan on heading there before or after depending on what time this is.

QuakeCon.org

This would've been a cool event to have been held during QuakeCon. Too bad ATI/AMD didn't have this ready then.

I'd love to come see the Eyefinity Challenge, but I'll have to pass this time. (22hr round trip from Niceville, FL and gas prices are creeping back up.)

See ya next year!

Bugs

Never know, they might have it on display at next years Quakecon.

This type of small personal feedback I think is better suited to small groups with less crowds just roaming around wanting swag.

Schedule goes together tomorrow morning. If you need a specific time, give me an email so I know.

I am also a Quakecon attendee. I have attended the last 3 years. There was an ATI event at Quakecon that showed off the new Radeon HD 5000 series GPU. It was called @Area64 and only 100 people were admitted to see it. I was lucky enough to be one of those people and got to meet the AMD/ATI crew. I had the chance to witness first hand the DX11 SDK demos as well as play Wolfenstein on the then unleased Radeon HD 5000 GPU. Also, Casey Gotcher of AMD showed off the beta version of their Fusion Media Explorer which is a pretty cool app. You guys should check it out. Anyways, I am looking forward to meeting all you guys but I might be "behind the scenes" most of the time. It is going to be a pretty kickass event.

Gah, 3:30 to 6pm time slot for me...:( Dont think I'll make it, but I'm working on it. The wife is out of town and I'm with the kiddo, so gotta line up the babysitter.

Great places to eat everywhere around the venue or get drunk when ur done.

Guys it was bad ass.
They have a triple projector setup and eyefinity on cod 4 is amazing.
Lots of swag. We got an ati eyefinity shirt with the [H] logo on it and my cousin and friend won phenom II 965 cpus and a biostar mobo to go with it.

A huge thanks from all of us to Kyle and AMD. It was bad ass.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was a great event. I had a blast. That triple projector setup was amazing. Definitely want one.

Thanks to Kyle and [H] and to AMD!

was a great event, got interviewed and got to play a lot of COD4 ... My team (group 2) beat some major ass! [DH] > all!

Two lucky people out of the group got new MOBO's/CPU's... Damn I wish I was that lucky...

The EyeFinity setup was quite crazy... my only qualms were that the transition between monitors weren't that great until I saw the big screen. Which made everything better.

Would definitely go to another demo around the DFW area

This was an awesome event. I got to see the transition from single screen limited perspective to the eyefinity triple setup. It was definitely a lot more rich and an immersing experience than I would've imaged. It was sweet to get to test drive it all on really nice machines even having the awesome ratpadz to go with it!

Big thanks to AMD and [H] for the event, I had a blast. Personal thanks goes out to Kyle too! He's a really cool guy who knows how to host a fun event!

Can't wait to see the pics and the article on this event! How did it go? How was the turnout?
What hardware did they use?
When can I buy the 6 display out 5870??

Man, I had a really good time. Playing Modern Warefare was a blast indeed, but seeing Eyefinity first hand was just amazing! Seeing videos or pictures of it certainly does it no justice.

As far as gameplay goes, it was hard to say if it made me play better or not, but it sure did add an awesome level of immersion. So much so, that switching to the single monitor setup felt strange, like suddenly being stripped away of so much. It was very awesome, I enjoyed it a lot. Being to see all those different setups and play many, many rounds of CoD4, couldn't have asked for a better way to spend my Saturday afternoon.

Many thanks to AMD/HardOCP for throwing such a cool event and letting us experience Eyefinity.

Very Awesome Kyle and ATI. This was pretty damn sweet. Got to play single monitor and then triple to see how big the difference was. Granted, there is a learning curve, but it is friggin awesome. The three projectors was a cool idea, i can see if setup properly that it would be not only the ultimate gaming display, but also the ultimate movie display. Best of all, you wouldn't have to spend a ton of money on the projectors because you would be combining the resolution. The six display setup was pretty cool, I can see where flight sims would be awesome on it. And of course the big bad boy (cough**x2**cough) they had on display inside an Alienware computer on the 30" monitor looked friggin awesome.

Hats off too Kyle and his guys and to ATI for the opportunity to experience this. Also, congrats to the guys that won prizes and thanks Kyle for the swag (couple shirts, Ratpadz and Ruby). I look forward to the next one.

Event was great, aside from those two winning the hardware and not me :p just kidding I just upgraded hehe.

Event was a ton of fun. Good chatting with Kyle about it all and the AMD guys. I took a few pictures, but work till 12am and again tomorrow on top of school so it will be a few days until I can process them and get everything online.

Eyefinity is definitely worth it! I had to go right about the time the tipple projectors got fixed and ready to go so I did not get to see much of that but it was very impressive.

Had a good turnout, even someones mom on her laptop?
The 5970 x2 (?) is one massive card!

My driving skills in Grid are not so impressive(thank you for pointing that out Kyle :p)
I found the car game to immerse the best as it felt more natural seeing out of the side windows while driving.

In COD it was still a blast, but a little off, mostly due to not being used to it. The first game I wanted to focus on every screen to see what is happening instead of just letting my peripheral vision do its job. Once I just went with it it made a lot of sense and felt natural. Could also have seemed a little weird as the game did not have native support for wide screen without a background application?

Once you get used to the EyefFinity setup going back to the single screen is a little depressing, and all those griping about bezels, they fade out very quickly, you notice them in videos as your not playing so you can focus on any part of the action which shows the bezels. As stated elsewhere you can just put the side monitors a little behind the central one and remove the bezel from that screen.

Big thanks to AMD / [H] for doing this, had a great time. My display port adapter cannot arrive soon enough! O_O

My brother and I had a GREAT time. the Eyefinity setups took a few minutes of getting used to, but man they were sweet.

Shane

Truly an amazing event.
Thanks to the AMD folks, Kyle[H] and everyone else for setting it up!
I must say the triple projector setup was mind blowing. Definitely some adjustment getting used to the FoV and distance span

Very Awesome Kyle and ATI. This was pretty damn sweet. Got to play single monitor and then triple to see how big the difference was. Granted, there is a learning curve, but it is friggin awesome. The three projectors was a cool idea, i can see if setup properly that it would be not only the ultimate gaming display, but also the ultimate movie display. Best of all, you wouldn't have to spend a ton of money on the projectors because you would be combining the resolution.

You know for some reason I never even thought about the possibilities of using eyefinity + projectors for movie watching. I always thought it would be awesome for games, but it would be even better for movies, talk about cinema scape. With projectors though I'm thinking you could get away with only two widescreen projectors since there's no bezel, or 3 4:3 models, maybe cheaper. I'm strongly considering a pair of 1080p projectors instead of bigger monitors now.

You know for some reason I never even thought about the possibilities of using eyefinity + projectors for movie watching. I always thought it would be awesome for games, but it would be even better for movies, talk about cinema scape. With projectors though I'm thinking you could get away with only two widescreen projectors since there's no bezel, or 3 4:3 models, maybe cheaper. I'm strongly considering a pair of 1080p projectors instead of bigger monitors now.

I'm really thinking about rocking out two projectors as well. After seeing that projector setup running MW2 I was just like..............whoa /drool

quick question for you guys. My buddy has 2x 5770 that he wants to use 6 monitors off. Is that possible if he runs the cards sepereatly???

quick question for you guys. My buddy has 2x 5770 that he wants to use 6 monitors off. Is that possible if he runs the cards sepereatly???

Wrong thread and not yet. eyefinity does not support crossfire yet. I am hoping it will either be this month or next.

Kyle answered a page or two back...he said in a CFX config eyefinity can only be ran on the main/main card outputting to the display. To get 6 displays you'll need the special 6 display card.

Sorry about that, will check the other threads, but mind you that I said he was going to run them in non crossfire mode.

Thanks Kyle & AMD for putting this on. It was a great experience! Schwag was sweet too!

Chris.

Thought I would post some pics of our group.

IMG00112-20091114-1026.jpg

IMG00122-20091114-1144.jpg

Our buddy won a phenom2 965 and biostar board. My cousin that took these pics won too. We are setting up his rig right now.
IMG00120-20091114-1136.jpg

Some newbs we pwned ;)

IMG00113-20091114-1026.jpg

Projector
IMG00118-20091114-1036.jpg

Operation Flashpoint
IMG00125-20091114-1145.jpg

Hawx
IMG00119-20091114-1036.jpg

Me and my newb wife lol
IMG00115-20091114-1027.jpg

Front
shirt.jpg

Back
IMG00131-20091114-2121.jpg

Lewt
IMG00133-20091114-2123.jpg

Ebayness j/k
IMG00134-20091114-2123.jpg

My box for good measure
IMG00132-20091114-2121.jpg

We just got back from frys. We were sporting our [H]/ATI shirts like complete nerds. Lol a few people actually said something.

Last edited:
Back