AMD EPYC Rome 32-Core CPU Specs Leaked: 1.7 GHz Base, 2.4 GHz Boost

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-epyc-rome-32-core-cpu-specs,39373.html

Info obtained from qualification sample spotted in SiSoft database. This is a qualification sample, not an engineering sample. So clocks are either final or 100MHz away from clocks of commercial chips.

If you think those are final clocks or even close then your just not using your head. Only way those could be final clocks or even close to it is they are releasing a low power variant.

If you think those are final clocks or even close then your just not using your head. Only way those could be final clocks or even close to it is they are releasing a low power variant.

Imagine a 64 core / 128 thread CPU with a 95w TDP or lower..................*Head Explodes*...........

The current 14nm Epyc 7601 32 core is 2.2 base 3.2 boost @ 180wTDP.
If this 32 core 7nm CPU is at 1.7 base 2.4 boost, then this is a low TDP part obviously..........................

Current 32 core Epycs compete pretty well against Xeons in power efficiency (Faster in POV-ray while using 100w less power and cheaper)
7nm is gonna be great.

Reactions: N4CR
like this

Server chips with high core counts tend to have lower clocks. 2.8 boost for 32 core is pretty damn good.

24 core xeons only boosts to 3.4 on the high end at a costs north of 5k.

If AMD is pushing a 32 core at 2.8 with nice low power draw out the door at anything under 5k its a very attractive part. (and of course we know its going to likely be much cheaper then that based on what they are already selling) Of course we have no idea if this is the low end of their 32 core parts or high.

The current 14nm Epyc 7601 32 core is 2.2 base 3.2 boost @ 180wTDP.
If this 32 core 7nm CPU is at 1.7 base 2.4 boost, then this is a low TDP part obviously..........................

Current 32 core Epycs compete pretty well against Xeons in power efficiency (Faster in POV-ray while using 100w less power and cheaper)
7nm is gonna be great.
Bang on.. Why else do you think he posted this?

How can you tell its a qualification sample?
I mean it does say "AMD Eng sample" in the screenshot...

NVM lol...
I wonder what the TDP is......

Engineering samples start with a number indicating the generation of the sample. Qualification samples start with a Z. It is also mentioned in the article I linked. I wrote a bit about the difference between both kind of samples here

An engineering sample is a prototype of the final product, usually sent to ODMs for testing and enabling them to make their own product around the upcoming final version of the chip. Engineering samples have lower clocks and can lack features, for instance some early engineering samples of Zen had SMT disabled or turbo disabled. AMD denotes engineering samples with a number in the first string of the codename.

A qualification sample is often identical to the commercial version of the chip, usually sent out to OEMs to let them validate their hardware, BIOS, ACPI etc etc, with the final chip. AMD denotes qualification samples with a Z in the first string of the codename.

For R7 Ryzen:

1D2801A2M88E4_32/28_N --> (first batch engineering sample with 2.8GHz base clock and 3.2GHz turbo)

2D3151A2M88E4_35/31_N
--> (second batch engineering sample with 3.1GHz base clock and 3.5GHz turbo)

ZD3601BAM88F4_40/36_Y --> (qualification sample with 3.6GHz base clock and 4.0GHz turbo)

R7 1800X
--> (commercial chip with 3.6GHz base clock and 4.0GHz turbo)

Engineering samples start with a number indicating the generation of the sample. Qualification samples start with a Z. It is also mentioned in the article I linked. I wrote a bit about the difference between both kind of samples here

Lol...yeah I know
I said NVM after I read the article.....

Dual 32 core Rome CPU's with 1.5 TB of ram as ESXi servers. mmmm yea... that's the good stuff. throw in a few of the enterprise virtualizable video cards and you're talking next level stuff!!

Dual 32 core Rome CPU's with 1.5 TB of ram as ESXi servers. mmmm yea... that's the good stuff. throw in a few of the enterprise virtualizable video cards and you're talking next level stuff!!

Why stop at 32 per socket?
Rome goes up to 64 cores per socket!
It would be EPYC!!!!! ...pun intended lol...

Why stop at 32 per socket?
Rome goes up to 64 cores per socket!
It would be EPYC!!!!! ...pun intended lol...

Actually you would run to a cost wall very quickly not to mention needing a larger chassis to support 4 power supplies for all the juice what.. 4 TB of ram is going to need per host? Also it's just too many eggs in one basket for me.

Back