AMD EPYC “Genoa” (Zen4) to feature 96 cores across 12 chiplets, 12-channel DDR5 memory and SP5 (LGA6096 socket)

rumor based on rando twitter dude...

1614629525408.png

The Twitter leaker ExecutableFix is actually fairly accurate as far as leaks are.

It's a shame VMware has caught on and is now only licensing 32 physical cores per license. Otherwise I would be all over this in the datacenter. Two 1U servers with these bad boys and 2TB of RAM each would house my VDI cluster with room to spare.

Then again, we still have old Haswell-E stuff in production. Here's hoping we get some datacenter budget next year.

Datacenter stuff. I mean, it's cool and all to see the progress, but has little impact on a regular Joe Shmoe. Even a 5950x is so much that there are hardly any ThreadRipper builds going on anymore.
I remember the day when I lusted for a X99 2011 mobo/Ivy Bridge cpu as that was the only way to get more than 4 cores. Then Ryzen got announced and I waited for that instead.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
1614946714702.png

Love the fact they are offering even higher TDPs, hopefully that's also the case on the lower core count models to give higher clocks and turbo :cool:

Last edited:
Love the fact they are offering even higher TDPs

I doubt this has much to do with the AM5 socket. This is about LGA-6096 EPYC. Not even sure that the additional TDP will make it to a TR socket.

I doubt this has much to do with the AM5 socket. This is about LGA-6096 EPYC. Not even sure that the additional TDP will make it to a TR socket.
Who said anything about AM5 or TR...? :p
I want higher clocks on EPYC too!

Wow 29% ipc over Zen 3 that is an impressive gain. Also core density is great, but curious why each chiplet is still 8c? I would think they could get room for a few more in the node shrink to 5nm.

Wow 29% ipc over Zen 3 that is an impressive gain. Also core density is great, but curious why each chiplet is still 8c? I would think they could get room for a few more in the node shrink to 5nm.
Smaller chiplets, shorter electrical distance, more perf. Both between cores and chiplets. Also smaller chiplets will have a higher yield.

Back